Windows 10: NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize

Discus and support NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello together, first of all, my windows 10 Installation is german, so i hope you can follow all steps, even if the screenshots are with german... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ulmosanfeomathar, Mar 14, 2020.

1. NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize

Hello together,

first of all, my windows 10 Installation is german, so i hope you can follow all steps, even if the screenshots are with german labels.

My Problem:

1. I Copied a lot of Images an Videos 696 Files alltogether from an Huawei P30Pro to my c:-Drive Desktop-Sub-Folder

2. While this copying was in Progress a wild Windows-Update occured. I didn't think much, as the corresponding Update-Dialog popped up and i clicked on Install. I should have considered, that my c-Drive was nearly out of Disk-Space, as i wanted to move this images and some more media-Files to my NAS Synology, but should not matter imho.

So, there was this update, and on some Website i found, that if you don't have enough disk space for windows update it will activate folder compression. I can't remember if there was a warning in the dialogue window, but as far as i reconstruct: i moved a lot of Image Files while windows Update activated folder compression mid-process.

What i ended with: a folder with the size of 1,74TB ! while size on disk was still 35,9GB on a 110GB SSD.

My Guess:

because the Copying was startet before windows update enabled NTFS Folder-Compressing and ended afterwards i think i have a folder with uncompressed images and videos, while windows believes it is compressed. The "Filesize on Disk" property is in the same range as the file size of big images.

Is there any way i can tell windows this folder is not compressed? With the properties-dialog it starts uncompressing the not really compressed files.

Or has anybody encountered this or a similar problem with another cause before? All my searches did not give a usable answer, but maybe my questions where wrong?

Any advice is wellcome, some of this images are the last Images of my grandmother ever taken and sadly i didn't set up some cloud sync or other backupprocess.

Thank you very much in advance

:)

ulmosanfeomathar, Mar 14, 2020
  2. Agi73 Win User

NTFS compression

I bought ASUS E200H: Win 10 Home; 32GB of SSD (the operating system occupies around 20GB, so only around 10GB is left for me).

After installing all the programs that I need, I had around 1GB of free space.

I was advised to perform the NTFS compression on the whole C:.

So I checked the NTFS compression fir C:, and it started to run.

As it ran, I noticed that the Windows Manager says that there is less and less free space.

When it was around 200MB, i decided to stop the process, and unchecked the compression.

The process started running again, and the free space continued decreasing, and soon reached 0 bytes.

So the question is, what should I do now?..

Should I let the compression run to the end? Or keep it decompressed - but in this case how can I regain the free space that I had before running int this procedure?.. Or possibly compress only some folders - which yes and which no?..

Thanks in advance.

Agi73, Mar 14, 2020
  3. XVI
    xvi Win User
    NTFS Compression on Event Logs

Anyone ever try doing NTFS compression on their Error Logs?
    It's all text, so it should compress pretty well.

NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize NTFSCompressEventLog.png

NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize NTFSCompressProperties.png

Anyone else try this? I suppose it's only useful in server-land when you have huge event logs..

To compress:
    Run services.msc
    Find Event Log and set to "Disabled"
    Reboot
    Go to c:\windows\system32\config
    NTFS Compress anything that ends in .evt
    Run services.msc
    Find Event Log and set to "Automatic"
    Reboot

4. RejZoR Win User

NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize

Is NTFS Compression really on-the-fly?

I was wondering this, but couldn't get a definitive answer. I thought about it, i use NTFS on all USB drives anyway so i can fit 4GB+ files on them and multimedia devices support NTFS anyway. So when possible, it would make more space available on USB. However, when you write data to USB thumb drive, is data copied uncompressed to the drive and then compressed (transparent, but not truly on-the-fly) or is it compressed in memory during transition itself and stored directly in a compressed form (truly on-the-fly).

Because if it's not done in memory, you're actually doing more writes than you would without compressing. But if it does compress in memory during transit, it would save a bit of a data and also make less wear.

I was also checking MS docs and it just descibes what NTSF compression does and how (algorithms and how it applies it to files), but they don't explain how it's done on a file systam scale ie, the thing i'm asking about.

RejZoR, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize

1. NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize - Similar Threads - NTFS Compressed Images

2. WRONG Filesize!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WRONG Filesize!: I just downloaded a new software and it needs to be launched through a launcher software whenever I try to launch it, an error message appears as : Wrong Filesize! I've been searching for a long time and seems like nobody had this issue before, I'll be thankful to get help I...
  3. WRONG Filesize!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WRONG Filesize!: I just downloaded a new software and it needs to be launched through a launcher software whenever I try to launch it, an error message appears as : Wrong Filesize! I've been searching for a long time and seems like nobody had this issue before, I'll be thankful to get help I...
  4. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  5. Photo Viewer Image Compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo Viewer Image Compression: Hi,Does the Windows Photo Viewer automatically compress pictures to edit them? I took some portraits for my niece that I'd like to edit, but it's compressing them from a large file to a small one, which I don't want. Ex. The picture starts out as 7.8MB & ends up as 1MB.I know...
  6. NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior: Hello. I am a newbie here (Windows 10 Build 18363). Thanks for having me. I used to repair software and hardware issues in a Windows environment, so I am tech savvy. I have several disks, including two SSDs. Recently, I noticed my primary SSD was filling up. Every day....
  7. Windows 10 NTFS Compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 NTFS Compression: Hi, I have a single file which is 1.6Tb terabites in size. I've click the properties and in advanced attributes I ticked "compress contents to save disk space" then suddenly hang/freeze. I decided to cancel and restart my pc. After rebooting I noticed that the file has now a...
  8. Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GDP10 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i2mpfp/disable_ntfs_compression_but_only_for_new_files/
  9. Any useful scenario for NTFS compression?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any useful scenario for NTFS compression?: Good day. I know storage space is dirty cheap these days but I am wondering if there is any weird scenario for NTFS compression to be used. For instance, for those very slow hard disks , where throughput is very bad. I am thinking about some netbook/laptop slow 5400rps...
  10. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression can save disk...