Windows 10: NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot

Discus and support NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since June 7th, on every clean start or reboot my computer initiates CHKDSK on my system drive Western Digital SN520 SSD. In addition, a single... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kormonnaut, Jun 10, 2020.

1. NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot

Since June 7th, on every clean start or reboot my computer initiates CHKDSK on my system drive Western Digital SN520 SSD. In addition, a single instance of NTFS Error 98 appears in the system log which says the drive needs to be taken offline for errors. This CKDSK/NTFS Error 98 loop keeps happening, and will not go away. I've accomplished the following troubleshooting steps so far in approximate order:

1. Ran "chkdsk C: /f" from an elevated command prompt window. No change.
    2. Ran chkdsk from an elevated command prompt window. No errors found.
    3. Uninstalled Norton 360, which I installed on June 7th. No change.
    4. Checked the drive health with the Western Digital SSD Dashboard. Quick and extended smart checks report the drive is healthy.
    5. Ran a Malwarebytes scan, which found a potentially unwanted application in a Firefox directory. Quarantined it. No change.
    6. Ran an offline Windows Defender scan. No findings.
    7. Reran chkdsk after all of the above. Problem persists.

Additional observations:

• The 2020-05 Cumulative Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB84556799 update is repeatedly failing to install, with error code 0x800f0986.
      • Tried deleting the windows update download cache. Update still fails.
    • The startup list on my system has a questionable entry called "setuplauncher". I disabled this. The context menu for the entry has the Properties and Open File Location options greyed out. It appears this may be a remnant entry from BitDefender, which I removed in favor of Norton.

This computer is a month old and has been used responsibly... while its not system-breaking, its mildly concerning and I'm considering just reinstalling windows.

:)

Kormonnaut, Jun 10, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

computer failed to boot - disk error event id 153 + 98

Hi, suggest you try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - gives a great quick analysis (SSDs too).

Please post the results.

Event ID 153:
    This event may be an indication that the specified drive may be failing soon. This is especially true if the event is recorded regularly. The first step is to run the maintenance utilities related to hard drives, starting with CHKDSK and the utilities available from the manufacturer for that specific brand.

Event ID 98:
    Event ID: 98

dalchina, Jun 10, 2020
  3. How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS ?

Hi,

I formatted 2 flash drives to NTFS file system using windows explorer , then i tried to run CHKDSK for each one of them,

with the command CHKDSK e: /F

I got this message:

Le type du système de fichiers est NTFS.

An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).

the strange thing is after formatting both flash drives to FAT32 , CHKDSK runs normally and shows that both drives have no errors.

Then after formatting again to NTFS the story repeats itself.

By the way i'm using Windows 7 SP1 32 bit.

can you please tell me how to fix this problem with NTFS ?

The GoodBoy, Jun 10, 2020
  4. NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot

Issue with chkdsk

The only reference i can find is from a source NTFS(Microsoft-Windows-NTFS)

saying: "Drive C(\Device\HarddiskVolume1") must go offline for a short time period to execute repair. Execute "CHKDSK /SPOTFIX" locally through the command line or execute "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive's name>" locally or remotely through PowerShell."

The event identifier is: 98.

Level: Error.

User: System

konstantinos Pap, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot

1. NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot - Similar Threads - NTFS Error Chkdsk

2. Error ID 98

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error ID 98: Hi, lately my pc has been acting up, specifacally freezing at random times maybe 15-20 minutes after i start up my computer, It doesnt unfreeze and i have to hard restart by using the button in my pc. I've had a look in the Event viewer and found this : Volume C:...
  3. Ntfs Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ntfs Error: Hello, I recently upgraded to windows 11 and started I getting this error The transaction resource manager on volume C: was unable to create free space in its log due to a non-retryable error. The data contains the error code.I've Tried "Sfc/scannow" Nothing I've Tried...
  4. Ntfs Error

Ntfs Error: Hello, I recently upgraded to windows 11 and started I getting this error The transaction resource manager on volume C: was unable to create free space in its log due to a non-retryable error. The data contains the error code.I've Tried "Sfc/scannow" Nothing I've Tried...
  5. How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?

How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?: Hi, I formatted 2 flash drives to NTFS file system using windows explorer , then i tried to run CHKDSK for each one of them,with the command CHKDSK e: /FI got this message:Le type du système de fichiers est NTFS.An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 3f1.The strange...
  6. How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?: Hi, I formatted 2 flash drives to NTFS file system using windows explorer, then I tried to run CHKDSK for each one of them,with the command CHKDSK e: /FI got this message:Le type du système de fichiers est NTFS.An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 3f1.The strange...
  7. How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?

How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?: Hi, I formatted 2 flash drives to NTFS file system using windows explorer, then I tried to run CHKDSK for each one of them,with the command CHKDSK e: /FI got this message:Le type du système de fichiers est NTFS.An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 3f1.The strange...
  8. Chkdsk not completing on reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Chkdsk not completing on reboot: Over the last several months, all three of my computers have failed to properly complete a chkdsk c: /f command on the reboot. The process is to open command prompt as an administrator, type chkdsk c: /f and then y for it to run the next time the computer is booted. After a...
  9. Event 98 NTFS on a corrupted hard drive

Event 98 NTFS on a corrupted hard drive: Hi, 2 months ago I accidentally unplugged my external HDD while copying. It become corrupted (Thank god the files are good) and my access to my HDD is so hard(it freezes, it prevents computer to boot when it's plugged in while booting, it slows the entire computer) But when I...
  10. Event 55, 137, 98 NTFS errors on SSD

Event 55, 137, 98 NTFS errors on SSD: Windows 10, 1803. Today I got a message I needed to restart to repair corruption. After the reboot and repair I found those three events (actually 98 was twice). The corruption occurred on my 3 month old Intel SSD and on the F: drive, which is the reserved drive. I have the...