Windows 10: NTFS File: "Size 0 bytes" but "Size On Disk 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704)"

Discus and support NTFS File: "Size 0 bytes" but "Size On Disk 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704)" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I accidentally created a video file that had a colon in its file name. The command line utility that I used to create the video happily created the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scottbernstein, Sep 23, 2016.

1. NTFS File: "Size 0 bytes" but "Size On Disk 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704)"

I accidentally created a video file that had a colon in its file name. The command line utility that I used to create the video happily created the file without complaining, BUT now the filename became everything before the colon (not an issue) and the file itself is inaccessible. It shows up as size: 0 bytes, but when I look at the properties, it shows up a the proper size, with "Size on disk: 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704 bytes)".

I tried to use various file recovery tools such as Recuva and Minitool Power Data Recovery, and they happily recover the file to a different drive, all 4GB of it, but the files they recover are in the same state -- still 0 bytes, but 4GB on disk.

None of them seem to actually be accessible by any software.

Has anyone had experience trying to restore a "0 byte" file that is still on the disk with an actual amount of bytes?

I am technical so am not averse to doing some low level disk editing if someone pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    Scott Bernstein

:)

scottbernstein, Sep 23, 2016

2. NTFS problem: 0 byte file but "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB"

By using a Python script, I managed to mistakenly create a 4GB file on an NTFS USB drive with a colon in the filename. The resulting file name was all of the text up until the colon, but the file is listed as being 0 bytes. BUT when I check the file properties
    it says "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704 bytes)". When I used a file recovery program such as Recuva and MiniTool Power Data Recovery, all 4GB seem to copy to another drive, but it still shows that it's 0 bytes (Size On Disk 3.98 GB).

Any advice as to what I could try next to fix this issue?

The file cannot be replaced easily so I'd like to get it back.

I'm not averse to low level disk editing if it comes to that.

Thanks in advance!

Scott_Bernstein, Sep 23, 2016
  3. NTFS problem: 0 byte file but "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB"

Hi,

For in-depth support, please post your query on this
    site.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Sep 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

NTFS File: "Size 0 bytes" but "Size On Disk 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704)"

Hi, I would try examining the file from a command prompt, outside Windows e.g. from SHIFT + left click restart and wend your way through the lengthy sequence and a restart to a command prompt.

You may be able to delete it that way, perhaps by using wild cards and 8.3 format as necessary.

Also try this search:
    deleting 0 byte file

Lots of interesting results which may help.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    I think Scott may want to rename it rather than delete it. Perhaps there's now no way to source another copy (with a valid name for a change). Renaming may well be possible from a command prompt by wildcard or 8.3 names. It may also help if it's first copied to a USB that doesn't use the NTFS format (you may need to use exFAT to get past FAT32's 4GB file size limit).

But probably the easiest way to rename it would be to boot from a Linux Live USB and do it from there.

Afterthought: If you can copy the file to a FAT32/exFAT drive, it's a lot easier to manually edit the FAT file structure than it is for NTFS. This thread may give some ideas:
    http://superuser.com/questions/18746...acters-such-as

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

NTFS File: "Size 0 bytes" but "Size On Disk 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704)"

1. NTFS File: "Size 0 bytes" but "Size On Disk 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704)" - Similar Threads - NTFS File Size

2. Windows installer size is 458 GB on a 500gb disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows installer size is 458 GB on a 500gb disk: Greetings,C disk on a computer suddenly became full. After doing some "inspection" i found out that installer folder takes a huge portion of disk. I'm attaching 2 screenshots. I dont know what to do and how to clean that folder. I know its not advised to delete files from...
  3. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  4. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  5. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Size and Size on disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size and Size on disk: Hi this is what I see on Pictures property folder: [ATTACH] How come? could it be that 75GB take only 2.2GB on disk or is it the other way around?... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-and-size-on-disk/04a4374b-f0b9-4eac-b4b6-3b68373c3330
  7. File History shows backup size as 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History shows backup size as 0 bytes: Hi, I am currently trying to use File History to backup my files. When I click "Back Up Now" it shows the file size as 0 bytes and nothing happens even though it says "Backing Up". I'm not sure what is going on but I would appreciate any help. Thanks. submitted by...
  8. Reducing file size of all files in a folder to 1 byte

in Windows 10 Support
    Reducing file size of all files in a folder to 1 byte: What I need is a tool which will turn all my jpg files in a download folder to 1 byte files easily. I have thousands of files. I've already copied them where they need to be. So this download folder is purely for preventing the download of the same file more than once, and to...
  9. Backup Size 0 Bytes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Size 0 Bytes: Originally posted with my other account, but can't receive notifications with that one so I'm copying the same one to here Hi! I have a Windows 10 on a Lenovo Flex 14. For the past couple of months I have not been able to make any successful backups, because every time I...
  10. Backup Size 0 Bytes?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Size 0 Bytes?: Hi! I have a Windows 10 on a Lenovo Flex 14. For the past couple of months I have not been able to make any successful backups, because every time I try to make a backup, the system says that my backup size is 0 byte. Now: - I have tried using different backup drives and...