Windows 10: NTFS file system error while booting, unable to upgrade from USB

Discus and support NTFS file system error while booting, unable to upgrade from USB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've been having issues with an NTFS file system error for the past few days. The error has occurred continuously during the start-up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnRuby1, Feb 6, 2019.

1. JohnRuby1 Win User

NTFS file system error while booting, unable to upgrade from USB

Hi,

I've been having issues with an NTFS file system error for the past few days. The error has occurred continuously during the start-up.

-Automatic repair is unable to repair the pc.
    -Resetting the PC just takes me back to the Troubleshoot menu with no apparent changes.
    -Choosing to go back to a previous version gives me the error message that "we ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to a previous version of windows.
    -Choosing Startup Repair gets the same issue as Automatic Repair.
    -I've gone into Command Prompt and run chkdsk, likewise sfc scannow.
    -Attempting to Boot into Safe Mode just results in another NTFS file system error.
    -And unsurprisingly, I did not make a restore point before all this happened, which I know was quite stupid.

I finally came upon the solution of booting up from a USB with a fresh copy of Windows 10, following the instructions here.

I went in, changed the boot priority to the USB, and finally made it to the installation stage without receiving another error message.

However, when I selected "upgrade" to retain the files currently on the computer, I received the following message:

"The upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using Windows installation media.

If a copy of Windows is already installed on this computer and you want to upgrade, remove the installation media and restart your computer. After Windows has started normally, insert the installation media and run Windows setup."

Any suggestions on what can be done at this point? I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad.

:)

JohnRuby1, Feb 6, 2019
  2. JohnRuby1 Win User

NTFS file system error while booting

Hi,

I've been having issues with an NTFS file system error for the past day or so. The error has occurred continuously during the start-up.

• Automatic repair is unable to repair the pc.
    • Resetting the PC just takes me back to the Troubleshoot menu with no apparent changes.
    • Choosing to go back to a previous version gives me the rror message that "we ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to a previous version of windows.
    • Choosing Startup Repair gets the same issue as Automatic Repair.
    • I've gone into Command Prompt and run chkdsk, likewise sfc scannow.
    • Attempting to Boot into Safe Mode just results in another NTFS file system error.
    • And unsurprisingly, I did not make a restore point before all this happened, which I know was quite stupid.

Any suggestions on what can be done at this point? I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad.

JohnRuby1, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Blue screen error while turning on the computer, FAT and NTFS file system errors

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your response.

Cause

One possible cause of this bug check is disk corruption. Corruption in the NTFS file system or bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk can induce this error. Corrupted hard drive (SATA/IDE) drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and
    write to disk, thus causing the error.

As you are unable to log into desktop. I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation media and perform a
    Startup Repair on the device. Startup repair will not affect data saved in your computer. Once you are able to log into the computer you can back up the data to an external hard drive. This is an alternate way to boot the device
    and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps below to do Startup repair:

Steps:-

• Insert the installation USB drive
              and boot Windows 10 from it.

If you don't have one, you can Create an installation Media.

• In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’
              and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’
              and select the operating system.
    Do let us know if you need further assistance and able to resolve Bluescreen error. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 6, 2019
  4. D-rock Win User

Help with USB Boot Image

Yes, I checked the box and showed it the folder where I unzipped the USB Image file. And then it started formatting the USB memory. Then after it completed I copied the rest of the files from the zip file over to the memory stick. Then tried to boot computer to the USB device. After restarting I press F12 to enter the boot menu and select USB Device from the list and it reads the USB memory cause the green light flashes but I get the Non-system disk error message.

D-rock, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

1. NTFS file system error while booting, unable to upgrade from USB - Similar Threads - NTFS file system

2. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  3. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  4. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. NTFS File System

NTFS File System: I had a virtual machine running on a customer's computer, and I needed to reinstall it. I removed the drive from the computer so I could copy a new VHD from my laptop to the drive. IIt kept telling me that the recycle bin on the drive was corrupt and would not let me copy...
  6. How to format a USB drive to an NTFS File System

in Windows 10 News
    How to format a USB drive to an NTFS File System: [ATTACH]The chances are that at one point or the other everyone has tried to […] This article How to format a USB drive to an NTFS File System first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Unable to boot while upgrading to 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot while upgrading to 1903: 1 I have tried to install the 1903 Win10 (Home) update on my PC. After a while it said that a restart was needed so I did that. It then failed to complete the set-up process and I boot the PC. During boot the windows logo appears, then is replaced by a black screen with a...
  8. NTFS file system error while booting

NTFS file system error while booting: Hi, I've been having issues with an NTFS file system error for the past day or so. The error has occurred continuously during the start-up. Automatic repair is unable to repair the pc. Resetting the PC just takes me back to the Troubleshoot menu with no apparent changes....
  9. Windows 10 NTFS FILE SYSTEM booting error

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 NTFS FILE SYSTEM booting error: Hello dear community, I´m new to ths forum and hope this is the right category to post. I´ve been experiencing a quite persistent error with my older notebook and I´m really running out of options. Ever since the latest Win 10 creator Update, I´ve been experiencing...
  10. ntfs file system error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ntfs file system error: can anyone tell me how to get past ntfs file system error page as ive watched all the vids on youtube and nothing works just keeps going onto automatic repair continuosly, wish i had never upgraded to windows 10 all ive had is prolems so i hope microsoft realise what they...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ntfs error after usb boot

2. ntfs system error during laptop booting