Windows 10: NTFS File System Permissions

Discus and support NTFS File System Permissions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I want to start by saying please answer my exact question... I've noticed in other questions on the forum that Microsoft Techs, try to avoid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TeylorSt.Francis, Mar 25, 2019.

1. NTFS File System Permissions

Hello,

I want to start by saying please answer my exact question... I've noticed in other questions on the forum that Microsoft Techs, try to avoid answering this and not really having anything useful to add to the specific question. So I'll state here that if you are not able to (whether from lack of knowledge or permission to share the solution), please either let me know or refrain from answering my question... BEFORE YOUR READ ON, Yes I am part of the administrators group and I am using the "hidden" admin account.

Now to start. I am looking into deleting certain folder's and whatever it is in this case doesn't matter. The point is that I want to delete a folder that I fully assume the risks of doing so. However whenever I try to delete said folder (ex can be trying to delete "Internet Explorer") I am told that I cannot delete this file as I lack the required permissions to delete it. I am told however that this "TrustedInstaller" permission group, has elevated privileges beyond what even me as a sys admin has. So I did the logical next step... I checked to see what permissions that this "TrustedInstaller" has over me to what point, I cannot delete the files that are owned by this group. The only difference that I can see (And yes I did try claiming ownership of the file, and weirdly it was making me ask myself for permissions which no prompt appeared for) is the permission called "Special Permissions" which is promptly grayed out despite my dismay. Whenever, I ask using that not so useful chatting feature either the person on the other end has no clue what a file permission is (at this point I would have to teach them what it is), to saying that further assistance requires a subscription service or a payment of some kind.

So with that long passage above I guess I'm asking simply two things... One: If you are to deny any user, not matter their status this feature then why display it (if you can enable it... well please inform us how as that would solve a great many things, also a lot of people has asking for answers on that area) and Two: How are you supposed to delete a file from your system with this in effect as the support chat is of no use.

Regards, Teylor

:)

TeylorSt.Francis, Mar 25, 2019

2. xp ntfs permissions erased - help!

NEVER, ever, remove FULL CONTROL permissions in the Access Control Lists/rights priveleges from:

• Administators Group
    • YOUR local Administrator User
    • SYSTEM
    on NTFS rights on your disks (via Explorer.exe rightclick properties menu, security tab) that use that filesystem, OR in the REGISTRY either, via rightclick on HIVES/KEYS permissions popup menu options...

(Sure way to lock yourself out, period, & I have done it myself early on w/ NTFS filesystems &/or the Registry before... only way to learn sometimes, is making mistakes!)

* Keep this in mind, those of you that start experimenting w/ security @ these 2 levels!

APK

P.S.=> Leaving them @ FULL POWER, in both areas, usually 9/10 times allows you to get back into your rig (logging on as your LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR USER, to fix it), & make alterations to rights/acl's as needed, to "get it right", eventually... especially when you're still learning/experimenting! apk

Alec§taar, Mar 25, 2019
  3. xp ntfs permissions erased - help!

So, I was fooling around like an idiot and removed all the ntfs permissions on 3 of my hard drives (not the one with my OS on it though, thank god).

If I even tried to access the drive it would say "access denied"

To try and fix it, I right clicked, went to properties, the security tab (running XP pro with simple file sharing disabled), and gave "system" and "everyone" full control. This allows me to see all the folders on the disk and what files they contain. However, when I try to access the files I get an access denied error message and it will not allow me to change permissions for the files.

If anyone has any ideas I am pretty much willing to try anything, if I have to buy some software I'm all for it, I need any help I can get so I can view these files again.

edit: I Think I may have just figured it out by using "replace permission entries on all child objects..." wow, but feel free to jump in with any advice / call me an idiot (boy do I deserve it)

Poisonsnak, Mar 25, 2019
  4. JonMorris Win User

NTFS File System Permissions

File Permissions

By default in an NTFS file system, any file or folder with the "deny" permission set will override any "allow." Is there any way you could screenshot a picture of your access control list? You can do this by right clicking the file -> properties -> security
    -> tab. Be sure not to include any personal information in the screenshot.

JonMorris, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

NTFS File System Permissions

1. NTFS File System Permissions - Similar Threads - NTFS File System

2. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  3. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  4. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. NTFS File System

NTFS File System: I had a virtual machine running on a customer's computer, and I needed to reinstall it. I removed the drive from the computer so I could copy a new VHD from my laptop to the drive. IIt kept telling me that the recycle bin on the drive was corrupt and would not let me copy...
  6. NTFS Permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Permission: Hello, I have created permissions on the folder share on the server and gave a specific user not to delete or delete, but I gave him permission Write Attribute and Write Extended Attribute However, I can't save to an excel sheet, but anything else works like Notepad ...........
  7. NTFS Permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS Permission: Hello, I have created permissions on the folder share on the server and gave a specific user not to delete or delete, but I gave him permission Write Attribute and Write Extended Attribute However, I can't save to an excel sheet, but anything else works like Notepad ...........
  8. NTFS Permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. NTFS permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS permissions: Windows 10, Windows 7 - probably all Window versions. I work in a highly regulated area and want to just save data to a Windows folder/directory that does not allow (for data integrity purposes) users to delete or modify data stored within the directory. Windows saving...
  10. NTFS Permissions...

NTFS Permissions...: I am unable to change the permission of a folder. I have never come across this problem until now and it's irritating because I am unable to download steam games due to the fact my folder is stuck in read-only and every time I un-check the box and click apply, the folder...