Windows 10: NTFS File System

Discus and support NTFS File System in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I had a virtual machine running on a customer's computer, and I needed to reinstall it. I removed the drive from the computer so I could copy a new VHD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Cardinal System, Sep 21, 2022.

1. NTFS File System

I had a virtual machine running on a customer's computer, and I needed to reinstall it. I removed the drive from the computer so I could copy a new VHD from my laptop to the drive. IIt kept telling me that the recycle bin on the drive was corrupt and would not let me copy over the VHD unless I deleted recycle bin (which I eventually did). After putting the drive back in the original computer, it began showing me this message...

Read more

Cardinal System, Sep 21, 2022
  2. JohnRuby1 Win User

NTFS file system error while booting

Hi,

I've been having issues with an NTFS file system error for the past day or so. The error has occurred continuously during the start-up.

• Automatic repair is unable to repair the pc.
    • Resetting the PC just takes me back to the Troubleshoot menu with no apparent changes.
    • Choosing to go back to a previous version gives me the rror message that "we ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to a previous version of windows.
    • Choosing Startup Repair gets the same issue as Automatic Repair.
    • I've gone into Command Prompt and run chkdsk, likewise sfc scannow.
    • Attempting to Boot into Safe Mode just results in another NTFS file system error.
    • And unsurprisingly, I did not make a restore point before all this happened, which I know was quite stupid.

Any suggestions on what can be done at this point? I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad.

JohnRuby1, Sep 21, 2022
  3. Fat/ntfs??

FAT= File Allocation Tables
    NTFS= New Type File System or New Technology File System

FAT, as the name suggests, uses file allocation tables to tell the computer where to find specific files. This is generally a large file, outside of the partition, and cannot be seen by the user, only the OS. FAT came in 3 types: FAT, FAT16, and FAT32. FAT used 8-bit allocation tables, FAT16 used 16-bit tables, and FAT32 used 32-bit tables. The 8-bit table was extremely large, using up about 1/25 of the file system (I.E. if the partition was 100GB, the table would be about 4GB, so effectively after the FAT format of a 100GB drive you had 96GB usable). The FAT16 table was half that size (1/50), and smaller yet was the FAT32 table (1/100). Also, when using a FAT file system, you cannot create files larger than 4GB, no matter what file type it is. This creates complications when trying to install large programs, such as Photoshop or F.E.A.R.

NTFS uses no tables, only a TEMP directory and cache located within the OS itself. This makes searching and loading times faster compared to FAT, as the drive head in the HDD does not need to constantly move to the beginning of the drive to examine the table and then back to the OS sectors to find the file its searching for. NTFS's TEMP directory and cache are also significantly smaller than FAT32's tables, usually about 1/5 the size. NTFS was first implemented in Server 2000, and then mainstream in Windows XP.

I hope that answers your question.

Random Murderer, Sep 21, 2022
  4. Pavan_N Win User

NTFS File System

Blue screen error while turning on the computer, FAT and NTFS file system errors

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your response.

Cause

One possible cause of this bug check is disk corruption. Corruption in the NTFS file system or bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk can induce this error. Corrupted hard drive (SATA/IDE) drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and
    write to disk, thus causing the error.

As you are unable to log into desktop. I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation media and perform a
    Startup Repair on the device. Startup repair will not affect data saved in your computer. Once you are able to log into the computer you can back up the data to an external hard drive. This is an alternate way to boot the device
    and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps below to do Startup repair:

Steps:-

• Insert the installation USB drive
              and boot Windows 10 from it.

If you don't have one, you can Create an installation Media.

• In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’
              and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’
              and select the operating system.
    Do let us know if you need further assistance and able to resolve Bluescreen error. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Sep 21, 2022
Thema:

NTFS File System

1. NTFS File System - Similar Threads - NTFS File System

2. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  3. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  4. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. NTFS file system changed to RAW

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS file system changed to RAW: I encountered a power loss during a Microsoft update and now one of my external drives is showing "RAW" instead of "NTFS". I tried to execute the command: "convert K: /fs:NTFS" but it tells me "Drive K: is already NTFS.". Are there multiple places where the file system type...
  6. NTFS File System Stopcode

NTFS File System Stopcode: Hello, I know that this topic has been discussed in several threads in this community but in my case it wasn't the solution. In best way someone has already a link to the solution and will guide me. Description of my issue: Hardware of my device is fully OK. My OS...
  7. Stop Code NTFS File System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop Code NTFS File System: I was resetting my HP All In One computer and it got to 58% and acted like it was going to do a restart. When it came back up it was a blue screen that said the PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart it for you. Below that it said to use this code: NTFS...
  8. NTFS File System Permissions

NTFS File System Permissions: Hello, I want to start by saying please answer my exact question... I've noticed in other questions on the forum that Microsoft Techs, try to avoid answering this and not really having anything useful to add to the specific question. So I'll state here that if you are not...
  9. ntfs file system error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ntfs file system error: can anyone tell me how to get past ntfs file system error page as ive watched all the vids on youtube and nothing works just keeps going onto automatic repair continuosly, wish i had never upgraded to windows 10 all ive had is prolems so i hope microsoft realise what they...
  10. Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...: Hi all, Here is a critical problem i have faced. I have inserted my pendrive in an laptop with OS X. As it was in ntfs format the data were shown but writting into this couldn't be done. So I format it to exfat format to get some data. When I insert it into my laptop it was...