Windows 10: NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file

Discus and support NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm having problems with a folder on an external hard drive. Recently I had a Windows notification to repair the drive, which I did. The next time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mizu no oto, Mar 29, 2020.

1. NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file

I'm having problems with a folder on an external hard drive. Recently I had a Windows notification to repair the drive, which I did. The next time I plugged in the drive, one of the folders was missing. On closer inspection I found that there was a zero-byte file with the folder name, and I suspect the Master File Table has gone wonky.

Running a full chkdsk hasn't fixed the problem. Does anyone have any preferred tools for finding and fixing such an issue?

:)

mizu no oto, Mar 29, 2020
  2. stub Win User

Creating Zero Byte Files of a folder of large sized files

Hang onto your hats. This is going to be a bumpy ride.

I understand where the OP is coming from. I also want to download large graphics files, on maybe a daily basis, and store them in a folder, and I want the presence of the zero byte files to prevent a download to this folder with the same name, but to download with the next available increment. For example. I might have filename.jpg and filename (1).jpg etc. So the next download of a filename.jpg or filename (1).jpg to be downloaded as filename (2).jpg.

As an aside. I think that is how both File Explorer and Filezilla function. If I'm not mistaken.

Then I want to visually compare the files which are not zero byte in this download folder with the filename*.jpg in my master folder of full size filenames, and if I have that picture already, to simply delete the filename in the download folder, or if I don't have the picture to copy it to my master folder of full size filenames, and then zero byte that file in my download folder.

Now I'm not an expert with Windows, so this structure might be achieved with some alternative better structuring. Why not compare the filename and size to be downloaded with a list of this filename*.jpg in my master folder of full size filenames, and if there is a file of the exact same size, to abort the filename download. If not, then to download to the zero byte folder, as described above. Now why to do this? It will prevent many unnecessary processing of files in the download files, and therefore less manual processing by me. This only exacerbates with the more files I store. Currently around 5K of files. By having the list of zero byte files in the download folder is only a tool in this process, but having these filenames with an without sizes, it is easy to see which files require further processing. These could be 1byte in size if it makes things easier in any way, like when deleting files etc.

Now I'm open to any questions or clarifications on what I'm trying to automate.

3. Khogi007 Win User
    Zero byte video files

Using Win 10, I've moved (copy & paste) multiple video files from 1 external hdd to another external hdd. I left pc running (1.5gb) overnight, came back in morning & found complete directory missing from both drives. Tried using Recuva, finds the files,
    but they're all 'zero bytes'!

can any one help?

Khogi007, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file

1. NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file - Similar Threads - NTFS folder external

2. Drive H showing as NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive H showing as NTFS: if i try to open the drive a dialogue box shows and it says H:/ is not accessible access is denied. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-h-showing-as-ntfs/cbd9d072-d63a-4549-9f30-d2c4908407f9
  3. Is it safe to delete Empty Folders or Zero-byte files in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Is it safe to delete Empty Folders or Zero-byte files in Windows 10?: [ATTACH]Unfinished downloads, tidbits of earlier installations, and other junk files over time build up […] This article Is it safe to delete Empty Folders or Zero-byte files in Windows 10? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. Zero byte files while sorting desktop icons.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Zero byte files while sorting desktop icons.: Hey team, Recently in my Laptop, I noticed that certain 0 byte files appear on my desktop while i simply right click and select sort and any sub-options from the sub-menu. Once i refresh, it disappears and same thing happens if repeated. Usually i keep no icons on my...
  5. Zero-byte files

Zero-byte files: I recently ran a program to find duplicate files on my system Windows 10. It found dozensof files with no data in them--length = zero bytes. Some even seem to be system files. Can these be deleted? No savings in disk space, but it would clean up the file system. Do any...
  6. Disk usage is Zero bytes 0%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk usage is Zero bytes 0%: Hello everyone I am facing a terrible problem regarding my windows And its my disk usage As u can see it says 0 % and because of that everything isn't working at all and i tried everything and still no one gave me a correct diagnosis or correct solution Please help me...
  7. Windows folder has turned into a zero length bytes file

Windows folder has turned into a zero length bytes file: Hi all, Yesterday the pc didn't want to boot. After the reset and after looking inside the hard disk I discovered that in the system disk the windows folder has become a file of zero length. The disk is a fairly new SSD, and had no problems before yesterday, but another...
  8. NTFS External Hard Drive shows up as SCSI and is not accessable

NTFS External Hard Drive shows up as SCSI and is not accessable: Hello and thankyou to anyone reading this. I have a 60GB external HDD that I used to backup my data before reinstalling windows. This data is very important and I CAN NOT LOOSE IT. I dont care if the hard drive is damaged, as long as I can get my data. After reinstalling...
  9. Format external backup drive for NTFS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format external backup drive for NTFS: I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?...
  10. Data files not saving correctly [File names but zero byte files]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data files not saving correctly [File names but zero byte files]: I have a problem with a program not saving preset data. Possibly due to harlink extenstion with only one piece of software. I use symbolic hardlinks on my system but I do not know if the following has any bearing on the issue with the software I am using. The software...