Windows 10: NTFS foldernames change when moving to another NTFS drive

Discus and support NTFS foldernames change when moving to another NTFS drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sometimes I change the name of NTFS folders on my disc drives. When I move these folders to another drive Cut/Paste commands the NTFS filenames get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jason123037, Feb 28, 2021.

1. NTFS foldernames change when moving to another NTFS drive

Sometimes I change the name of NTFS folders on my disc drives. When I move these folders to another drive Cut/Paste commands the NTFS filenames get again the original filename just before the rename on the original disc. What can this ? Is this an indexing problem ? I must say I use indexing on all my drives because sometimes I need to search for data. I scanned for viruses but nothing is found, and windows 10 version 20H2 is stable. Anybody an idea what this can be ?

:)

jason123037, Feb 28, 2021
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Feb 28, 2021
  3. Tatty_One Win User
    ntfs vs fat32 for readyboost thumb drive

As said, FAT32 is faster for smaller drives, NTFS for bigger, also, once NTFS....always NTFS so go FAT.

Tatty_One, Feb 28, 2021
  4. NTFS foldernames change when moving to another NTFS drive

what is the difference in fat32 and NTFS HDD formating???

NTFS is far superior when it comes to data safety, as when it comes to performance with large files. Just disconnect and connect a FAT32 USB drive a few times without using the remove button and then do the same to a NTFS drive. The FAT32 drive will be screwed while the NTFS drives requires a run of chkdsk at the most. I wouldn't safe anything I wish to keep on a FAT32 disk.

DanTheBanjoman, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

NTFS foldernames change when moving to another NTFS drive

1. NTFS foldernames change when moving to another NTFS drive - Similar Threads - NTFS foldernames change

2. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Drives?: I did all the windows updates all at once and now when I try to access my drives it says NTFS? When I try to open the drives file names are not showing up either any quick fix to this? I can’t access the recovery options as well the buttons are not working there...
  3. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS Drives?: I did all the windows updates all at once and now when I try to access my drives it says NTFS? When I try to open the drives file names are not showing up either any quick fix to this? I can’t access the recovery options as well the buttons are not working there...
  4. NTFS Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. NTFS Drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Bitlocker requres NTFS but my drive is already NTFS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker requres NTFS but my drive is already NTFS: I am trying to turn on bitlocker for my main (C:) drive which us NTFS system. My second drive on which I have linux installed isn't obviously. Bitlocker says that I need to convert my filesystem to NTFS and try again. What is happening? submitted by /u/jeezuschristie...
  7. Name change while moving NTFS folder names to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Name change while moving NTFS folder names to another drive: When I do a CUT/PASTE of folders to another drive sometimes the folder name in the target changes. I use the NTFS filesystem of windows 10 latest version. What can this be ?...
  8. Unmounting NTFS drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unmounting NTFS drives: Hello folks So I basically need a way to automatically unmount NTFS drives in Win10 when I do a reboot. Right now the goto is CMD->shutdown /s. But that is annoying as shit as I have to crawl on the floor to reach the power button. If there is a way, please share....
  9. NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS vs NTFS 3.1: Out of curiosity only: what is the difference between just 'NTFS' and 'NTFS 3.1' Maybe there is none, I don't know. A system tool reports a drive with NTFS and another drive with NTFS 3.1 BTW - Windows Diskmgmt show NTFS only All drives are working fine. thanks. 135003
  10. NTFS LOCK OF DRIVE.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS LOCK OF DRIVE.: All of a sudden I have deleted the administrators access and now I have locked the drive and now I don't have access to the files and now they show me NTFS under the drive. There are some documents I need to recover the file. Please help me out. All the helps rendered will...