Windows 10: NTFS formatted hard drive reads in XP, not in Win 7 or Win 10

Discus and support NTFS formatted hard drive reads in XP, not in Win 7 or Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to help a friend. Here is his problem: I have a 1T external hard drive full of mp3's. My winxp computer will recognize and play the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fireberd, Apr 5, 2017.

1. fireberd Win User

NTFS formatted hard drive reads in XP, not in Win 7 or Win 10

I'm trying to help a friend.
    Here is his problem:

:)

fireberd, Apr 5, 2017

2. Windows 10 format failure on external USB HDD

I have an external USB HDD using a SATA/IDC drive interface to USB. Drive is a known working Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb drive. Been using it for quite a while after originally formatting to NTFS it on an XP machine. Had been able to read the data on it,
    both on the XP machine and on a new Windows 10 machine.

Decided to wipe the entire drive and reformat it still as NTFS but from the Win 10 machine. Seemed ok, and loaded a bunch of files on it from the main data drive on that machine.

Removed the drive, and plugged into the old XP machine, but that now complains the drive must be formatted before use.

Put it back in the Win 10 machine, and it works fine, showing all the data.

Back in the XP machine, same problem.

So reformatted it again using the XP machine, put some data on it, and reads perfectly in the Win 10 machine - wrote some more data on it from there, and that too reads ok on the XP machine.

Repeated that cycle a couple of times, but the drive refuses be read in the XP machine when formatted on the Win 10 machine. What gives ?

Do I need to reserve an ancient XP machine just so I can format a drive and have it work across a couple of machines ???

AdrianJansenEW, Apr 5, 2017
  3. mlg63 Win User
    External Hard Drive Problems

I'm guessing the ext drive is formatted FAT. Check the properties of the drive in Disk Management by right clicking on it. The drive has to be formatted NTFS for windows 10. Open Disk Management to format it. You will lose everything on the drive so copy
    important files. It is better to use a diff ext drive for each computer instead of swapping the ext drive. However Win 7 will be able to use it when it formatted NTFS, but win 10 cannot use FAT.

Why not use the drive for win 7 and buy a new one for win 10?

mlg63, Apr 5, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

This apparently happens if the drive was formatted for Windows 2000, XP will read it but not later versions. See the answer here...
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-dd762474c45d

Bree, Apr 6, 2017
  5. fireberd Win User
    Thanks, I'll have him try it or at least check.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. NTFS formatted hard drive reads in XP, not in Win 7 or Win 10 - Similar Threads - NTFS formatted hard

2. Win 7 install after hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 install after hard drive: My Dell Desktop PC came with Win 10. I hate Win 10, Could not duel boot with Win 7 so I debaned HD and tried to install Win 7. Would not install. Kept getting notice “Setup does not support configuration of or installation top disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.”...
  3. Win 7 install after hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 install after hard drive: My Dell Desktop PC came with Win 10. I hate Win 10, Could not duel boot with Win 7 so I debaned HD and tried to install Win 7. Would not install. Kept getting notice “Setup does not support configuration of or installation top disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.”...
  4. Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine: I'm up to 3 attempts at installing an XP machine on Hyper V (Windows 10 Pro), and though I can get the machine to run, I cannot find the browser I installed. Using the Hyper V tutorial, I followed carefully the points of unblocking both WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and Opera's...
  5. hard drive/ Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive/ Win 10: I have an HP touch screen laptop with a bad hard drive and wanted to install a hard drive froma Toshiba with problems but a good hard drive. I want to remove everything that has to do with Toshiba from the hard drive and load Windows 10. I had tried the Toshiba hard drive and...
  6. Upgrade to Win 10 from dual boot win 7 / win xp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Win 10 from dual boot win 7 / win xp: I upgraded from win xp to a dual boot win xp / win 7 by using a win 7 upgrade disk. win 7 is now stable so I don't need win xp any longer and don't need a dual boot system. win 7 is on sata drive c with data also on that sata drive as drive d. win xp is on an old ide drive...
  7. Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer: Due to a power surge I recently had to upgrade my wife's Win 7 machine. She had been running an old LGA1156 mobo and when it was impractical to replace the mobo I figured why not just get her an 8th gen I3? I soon figured out that those 8th gen processors don't play nicely...
  8. Making Win 10 easy for Win XP/Vista/7 users...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Making Win 10 easy for Win XP/Vista/7 users...: Hi Guys, I was on XP for many, many years. Only switched over to Win 8.1 last April. I couldn't get used to the Windows 8.1 'Metro' UI on my desktop PC, so I installed Classic Shell. What a difference! Looked and worked pretty much as my old XP system did. Same deal...
  9. Suitable NTFS formatted 12 TB hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Suitable NTFS formatted 12 TB hard drive?: Not sure that this is the right location to post this. I am looking for a 12 TB hard drive (be it internal or external) that supports the NTFS architecture for under $500. I've looked online on newegg, amazon, ebay, and gmarket, but I've found either no matches or NAS...
  10. Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7: I installed Windows 10 on a separate hard drive in my computer to keep from messing up my Windows 7 installation. It appears windows 10 still makes changes to windows 7 even on a separate hard drive. See attached picture. I can not correct this using the system repair disk or...