Windows 10: NTFS or FAT32

Discus and support NTFS or FAT32 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I have a copy of bootable Windows 10 on my 8gb flashdrive. The ISO was probably 4.7gb or 4.8gb and was from the April Update. I decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NicoleFiecas, Dec 29, 2018.

1. NTFS or FAT32

Hello. I have a copy of bootable Windows 10 on my 8gb flashdrive. The ISO was probably 4.7gb or 4.8gb and was from the April Update. I decided to delete it and download the October Update to use as a copy. I used Rufus but since the update has 5gb+ of files, and Rufus supports 4.7gb for FAT32, I was unable to make a copy in FAT32 file system. I made one in NTFS but I wasn't sure if it will work. Is there any way to make a copy in FAT32? If not, will NTFS work for GPT partition? What would happen if I stick to NTFS and GPT partition instead of FAT32 and GPT partition? Thanks!

:)

NicoleFiecas, Dec 29, 2018

2. what is the difference in fat32 and NTFS HDD formating???

NTFS is far superior when it comes to data safety, as when it comes to performance with large files. Just disconnect and connect a FAT32 USB drive a few times without using the remove button and then do the same to a NTFS drive. The FAT32 drive will be screwed while the NTFS drives requires a run of chkdsk at the most. I wouldn't safe anything I wish to keep on a FAT32 disk.

DanTheBanjoman, Dec 29, 2018
  3. USB media formatting recquirerments, FAT32 or NTFS?

Hi,

It doesn't matter if it is FAT32 or NTFS, it depends on the user preference.

For more information about FAT32, and NTFS, kindly check the details below:

NT File System (NTFS):

• NTFS is the modern file system Windows likes to use by default. When you install Windows, it formats your system drive with the NTFS file system.
    • It works with all versions of Windows, but read-only with Mac by default, and may be read-only by default with some Linux distributions. Other devices—with the exception of Microsoft’s Xbox One—probably won’t support NTFS.

FAT32:

• FAT32 is the oldest of the three file systems available to Windows. It was introduced all the way back in Windows 95 to replace the older FAT16 file system used in MS-DOS and Windows 3.
    • Works with all versions of Windows, Mac, Linux, game consoles, and practically anything with a USB port.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards.

Robelene Win, Dec 29, 2018
  4. AddSub Win User

NTFS or FAT32

what is the difference in fat32 and NTFS HDD formating???

Pretty accurate listing Silverel.

I personally prefer FAT32. It IS faster than NTFS (there is a small but benchmarkable difference) and also it is much easier to recover from disastrous OS-induced and/or hardware disk crashes simply due to availability of more robust tools and the evident FAT32 approachability.

NTFS's alternate data streams (ADS) is something I find distasteful and an obvious security risk. In fact, if file system security matters to you, or data security in general, you might want to skip Windows operating systems completely and go straight into Unix territory. Seriously, when someone implies NTFS over any other file system (usually FAT32) on the basis of data security I can’t help but laugh.

Primary issue with FAT32 is the file size limit. So if you work with large video files and such I recommend an NTFS partition. (As a supplement of course.)

AddSub, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

NTFS or FAT32

1. NTFS or FAT32 - Similar Threads - NTFS FAT32

2. Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10: Windows Feature Updates have been failing to complete on my Dell Inspiron laptop for almost two years. I get notifications to update and restart every day and I want to solve this problem. I was told by Windows support that a clean install of Windows was required, using a USB...
  3. Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10: Windows Feature Updates have been failing to complete on my Dell Inspiron laptop for almost two years. I get notifications to update and restart every day and I want to solve this problem. I was told by Windows support that a clean install of Windows was required, using a USB...
  4. Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. too much for FAT32; not even close on NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    too much for FAT32; not even close on NTFS: I have a collection of files that I needed to copy onto a USB flash drive. The total size is almost 14 GB, so I thought that a 32 GB would be perfect. Given that this is a new drive, it was formatted in FAT32. There are two ISOs in the collection, as I want to have a current...
  6. too much for FAT32; not even close on NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    too much for FAT32; not even close on NTFS: I have a collection of files that I needed to copy onto a USB flash drive. The total size is almost 14 GB, so I thought that a 32 GB would be perfect. Given that this is a new drive, it was formatted in FAT32. There are two ISOs in the collection, as I want to have a current...
  7. too much for FAT32; not even close on NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. My External Hard disk is suddenly changed FAT32 from NTFS and shows no data in my hard...

My External Hard disk is suddenly changed FAT32 from NTFS and shows no data in my hard...: My External Hard disk is suddenly changed FAT32 from NTFS and shows no data in my hard disk. But previous format 1.4TB data available out of 2TB storage. My External Hard disk showed in NTFS for drive letter path is 'K' but now letter path shown in 'G' and drive formate is...
  9. Difference between FAT32 and NTFS bootable usb drive ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Difference between FAT32 and NTFS bootable usb drive ?: What is the difference when making a win10 update bootable usb drive in FAT32 and NTSF system file ? The win10 update iso that i want to download from uup is about 5gb size so i can't create bootable usb drive in FAT32 system file. 183504
  10. Which file format FAT32 or NTFS for USB 32B GB drive

Which file format FAT32 or NTFS for USB 32B GB drive: Hi, I have a BUFFALO USB3.0 compatible USB memory standard 32GB black RUF3-C32GA-BK which I bought to be used in making boot drive but I could not make it, therefore thinking to re-format and use for saving data most probably images/videos on my Windows 10 laptop. For...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ntfs for flashdrive

2. ntfs or fat32 windows 10 usb

3. install windows 10 on ntfs

4. install win 10 fat 32 or ntfs,
  5. fat32 or ntfs windows 10,
  6. windows download tool usb format fat32 or ntfs