Windows 10: NTFS Permissions...

Discus and support NTFS Permissions... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am unable to change the permission of a folder. I have never come across this problem until now and it's irritating because I am unable to download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Tyrell., Sep 21, 2018.

1. Tyrell. Win User

NTFS Permissions...

I am unable to change the permission of a folder.

I have never come across this problem until now and it's irritating because I am unable to download steam games due to the fact my folder is stuck in read-only and every time I un-check the box and click apply, the folder stays in read only. It doesn't even give an "access denied" or anything...

Below is a gif of me trying to change permissions via security tab...

NTFS Permissions... LC0MTZJ.gif

Here is another gif of me trying to un-check read only permission.

NTFS Permissions... 78719bf258aef0fd355968b658c58643.gif?_ga=2.87771740.578118222.1537564662-1727133057.gif

I only have one account on my computer which is stated as an "Administrator".

Below is a gif of the default permission settings.

NTFS Permissions... e8e846a1712ee9a482efac38e8e0ef4e.gif?_ga=2.90261214.578118222.1537564662-1727133057.gif

:)

Tyrell., Sep 21, 2018

2. xp ntfs permissions erased - help!

NEVER, ever, remove FULL CONTROL permissions in the Access Control Lists/rights priveleges from:

• Administators Group
    • YOUR local Administrator User
    • SYSTEM
    on NTFS rights on your disks (via Explorer.exe rightclick properties menu, security tab) that use that filesystem, OR in the REGISTRY either, via rightclick on HIVES/KEYS permissions popup menu options...

(Sure way to lock yourself out, period, & I have done it myself early on w/ NTFS filesystems &/or the Registry before... only way to learn sometimes, is making mistakes!)

* Keep this in mind, those of you that start experimenting w/ security @ these 2 levels!

APK

P.S.=> Leaving them @ FULL POWER, in both areas, usually 9/10 times allows you to get back into your rig (logging on as your LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR USER, to fix it), & make alterations to rights/acl's as needed, to "get it right", eventually... especially when you're still learning/experimenting! apk

Alec§taar, Sep 21, 2018
  3. Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?

Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?

Mark and ShandyCarson, Sep 21, 2018
  4. SarahKong Win User

NTFS Permissions...

Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?

I teach this all the time.

The way it works is the most restrictive applies when combining share and NTFS permissions.

What that means is if you share a folder as read and then you set NTFS permissions as read and write you are only going to get read. Because it is the most restrictive when combined.

So basically set your share permissions for your group as full control then use NTFS permissions to create the restrictions.

So if you want a group to be able to read and write but not delete then set share as full control from that group. Then go to NTFS permissions and set explicit permissions for that group to only read and write.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

SarahKong, Sep 21, 2018
Thema:

NTFS Permissions...

1. NTFS Permissions... - Similar Threads - NTFS Permissions

2. robocopy to retain ntfs permission while copying folders/files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    robocopy to retain ntfs permission while copying folders/files: I am trying to copy folders/filder using robocopy from serverA to serverB, I run the following and it wouldnt keep the ntfs permission at the destinationRobocopy E:\"share1" H:\folder1/share2" /E /DCOPY:DAT /Copy:datsou /R:0 /W:0 /V /MT:16 /TEE...
  3. robocopy to retain ntfs permission while copying folders/files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    robocopy to retain ntfs permission while copying folders/files: I am trying to copy folders/filder using robocopy from serverA to serverB, I run the following and it wouldnt keep the ntfs permission at the destinationRobocopy E:\"share1" H:\folder1/share2" /E /DCOPY:DAT /Copy:datsou /R:0 /W:0 /V /MT:16 /TEE...
  4. robocopy to retain ntfs permission while copying folders/files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Our Intranet impersonates the logged on user against NTFS file permissions on our file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Our Intranet impersonates the logged on user against NTFS file permissions on our file...: We have an app on our Intranet which impersonates the logged on user against NTFS file permissions on our file server. This works from a Windows 10 computer and from a computer upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, but fails on a computer with a clean install of Windows 11...
  6. Our Intranet impersonates the logged on user against NTFS file permissions on our file...

Our Intranet impersonates the logged on user against NTFS file permissions on our file...: We have an app on our Intranet which impersonates the logged on user against NTFS file permissions on our file server. This works from a Windows 10 computer and from a computer upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, but fails on a computer with a clean install of Windows 11...
  7. NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file: Skills once mastered fade when they remain unused for a while. Can anyone remind me why this doesn't work?I've set the permissions on File.txt for users to be able to modify, but it still seems that a standard user still can't modify the file.C:\>cacls File.txt C:\File.txt...
  8. NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file: Skills once mastered fade when they remain unused for a while. Can anyone remind me why this doesn't work?I've set the permissions on File.txt for users to be able to modify, but it still seems that a standard user still can't modify the file.C:\>cacls File.txt C:\File.txt...
  9. NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file

10. How to check NTFS Permissions using Command-line or Free tools

in Windows 10 News
    How to check NTFS Permissions using Command-line or Free tools: [IMG]In Windows 11/10, you can view NTFS permissions in different ways. Many third-party tools or software are available that will help you check NTFS permissions on your Windows computer. In addition to this, you can also use the command line tool. In this article, we will...