Windows 10: NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.

Discus and support NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an Acer laptop with an SSD drive. I think that someone switched off the power during a Windows update, and now the system does not boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HenricusTA, Feb 23, 2021.

1. NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.

I have an Acer laptop with an SSD drive.

I think that someone switched off the power during a Windows update, and now the system does not boot anymore.

I can boot from boot-repair-disk-64bit.iso ubuntu though.
    There I notice that /dev/sda3 is read-only.

When I try:

sudo mount -rw /dev/sda3 /media/lubuntu/Acer

I get:

The disk contains an unclean file system 0, 0.

Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
    Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state.

Please resume and shutdown Windows fully no hibernation or fast restarting.

How to fix this, please?

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda3 doesn't solve the problem

Cheers,

Henk

:)

HenricusTA, Feb 23, 2021
  2. intprob Win User

Help with Hardware Interrupts

To use Krview, ignore any driver that is part of Windows or that is for the CPU idle thread.
    inteppm is for the CPU idle thread, ignore it.
    hal and ntkrnlpa are part of Windows, ignore them.
    ati2mtag is the first one on the list that is elevated and relevant.
    Find out what hardware interrupt it uses and then any device that shares this interrupt could be the problem. It might not be ati2mtag.
    If its the video driver, can you use another card?
    Putting the computer to sleep might reset things.

intprob, Feb 23, 2021
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Feb 23, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted. :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.

1. NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted. - Similar Threads - NTFS read Update

2. Read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read only: For some reason Windows has set WindowsApps to read only, and when I uncheck read only, it just becomes rechecked again. This is to fix an isssue in Reshade on MCC where I get this message.The only solution I've been given is to ensure that the folder in question WindowsApps...
  3. Windows Black Screen after Interrupted update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Black Screen after Interrupted update: Hello A few days ago, my computer was starting an update and had lost power to the PC and Router Black out as it was updating. Now when my PC turns on, the monitor itself stays black with no correlation of input what so ever. The monitor itself has been tested along with the...
  4. NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.: I have an Acer laptop with an SSD drive. I think that someone switched off the power during a Windows update, and now the system does not boot anymore. I can boot from boot-repair-disk-64bit.iso ubuntu though. There I notice that /dev/sda3 is read-only. When I try:...
  5. 2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update: hi, recently updated windows with an update it was showing as needed- now the 2nd hard drive i have installed is showing read only and i can't save anything to it. in properties its showing read/write correctly for all users. but disk mgmt shows the drive as read only...
  6. After windows update - All drives are read only

in Windows 10 Support
    After windows update - All drives are read only: I don't know how my computer is even running correctly, but every time I try to create a new folder, etc, it is read only. I have tried to change permissions but it isn't working. Is there some tool that just resets drive permissions to the way they are supposed to be?...
  7. Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read Only: How do I change a file from Read Only to readable so I can make changes and save it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only/4aa037bd-76c4-4d79-ab31-74c95ec65740
  8. After Windows Update, many folders are Read-Only, Updates won't download

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After Windows Update, many folders are Read-Only, Updates won't download: I'm beyond angry. Brand new Lenovo C-940 14IL laptop, everything was working fine. A windows update installs itself and suddenly, many folders are "read-only", several device drivers won't update or even install and I can't download new updates. I have reset the...
  9. Windows facing problems after interrupted update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows facing problems after interrupted update: I started facing minor problems like lagging mouse cursor and random windows explorer crashes. So i decided to update windows. After the update started, it was extremely slow. It completed to 21% after 1 hour. I force shut down my computer because I had to use it. After it...
  10. read only

in Windows 10 Support
    read only: Why can’t I turn read only off in w10 125112