Windows 10: NTFS vs BTRFS please Ms new file system wanted

Discus and support NTFS vs BTRFS please Ms new file system wanted in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there Isn't now about time that Ms started implementing a far more robust, faster and resilient file system with decent jounallinhg -NTFS has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Aug 27, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

NTFS vs BTRFS please Ms new file system wanted

Hi there

Isn't now about time that Ms started implementing a far more robust, faster and resilient file system with decent jounallinhg -NTFS has been around for so many years now that I'm amazed it is still the main FS for Ms.

What's wrong with trying out some of the more modern file systems on say the Development builds on Windows insider (of course keeping the old for compatibility).

Here's a BTRFS file copy - approx 47 GB 12 files approx 4GB each -- video files at approx 200 MB/s (not Mib/s please note). Beats file explorer any day.

NTFS vs BTRFS please Ms new file system wanted [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 27, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

NTFS - time for Ms to create new file system ?

Hi there

I posted recently about how slow NTFS was when you were copying large amounts of data - especially if the data consisted essentially of zillions of small files.

Here's a reliable test which amply demonstrates that it really is time for Ms to at least consider re-writing the NTFS file system - especially as more and more of even HOME users have increasing amounts of data. The problem isn't per se in the maximum capacity of the file system but the way the I/O is performed.

Here's a brief image

NTFS vs BTRFS please Ms new file system wanted [​IMG]

For those interested the article is here

Linux 4.0 Hard Drive Comparison With EXT4 / Btrfs / XFS / NTFS / NILFS2 / ReiserFS - Phoronix

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 27, 2020
  3. Mystere Win User

ReFS is built into Windows 8.x and up. It's used by StorageSpaces for instance, but can also be enabled for normal drive usage, though it cannot be a boot volume.

How You Can Try the New Resilient File System for Windows

Having said that, ReFS will probably take 10 years before it's ready to replace NTFS, just like NTFS took a number of years before it replaced FAT(32).

ReFS does not perform well (yet) on every condition, and in at least one case (sequential writes) it can be very slow. But I imagine that will change over time.

SQL Server and ReFS: Part 2 FIO Benchmarking NTFS vs. ReFS | Exchange Spill

I was really just commenting that Microsoft was already doing what Jimbo was suggesting. It doesn't mean it's ready to be used as a primary filesystem yet, but it's being done.

Mystere, Aug 27, 2020
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

ReFS is still not implemented in consumer systems as far as I know.

NTFS is slow because it emphasizes security and data integrity.
    Any way you turn it, it all comes down on what you want to compromise really.

Add a myriad of small files to be copied (meaning opening and closing every single one of them) and Windows wanting to check every file viruses and god knows what plus the fact that actions such as copying, moving and other file actions aren't high on the priority list, you inevitably end up with a long waiting time.
    A time depending on your CPU, chipset, whatever.

All in all I find copying/moving file I W10 slow. I.e. way below what the hardware is capable of. it would be nice if we or W10 could set the priority of the file handling task to high when nothing else is running or demanding priority.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

1. NTFS vs BTRFS please Ms new file system wanted - Similar Threads - NTFS BTRFS please

2. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  3. NTFS File System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTFS File System: I had a virtual machine running on a customer's computer, and I needed to reinstall it. I removed the drive from the computer so I could copy a new VHD from my laptop to the drive. IIt kept telling me that the recycle bin on the drive was corrupt and would not let me copy...
  4. how to convert BTRFS to NTFS in windows?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to convert BTRFS to NTFS in windows?: have a hard drive given to me but used in server end, linux BTRFS and can't use it in windows. tried googling but all I can find is NTFS to BTRFS and not the other way around, how can this be done? 180217
  5. NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS vs NTFS 3.1: Out of curiosity only: what is the difference between just 'NTFS' and 'NTFS 3.1' Maybe there is none, I don't know. A system tool reports a drive with NTFS and another drive with NTFS 3.1 BTW - Windows Diskmgmt show NTFS only All drives are working fine. thanks. 135003
  6. NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS vs NTFS 3.1: Out of curiosity only: what is the difference between just 'NTFS' and 'NTFS 3.1' Maybe there is none, I don't know. A system tool reports a drive with NTFS and another drive with NTFS 3.1 BTW - Windows Diskmgmt show NTFS only All drives are working fine. thanks. 135003
  7. Windows NTFS file system Vs XFS (Linux) speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows NTFS file system Vs XFS (Linux) speed: Hi there Tested on identical hardware (Same machine in fact). booted up W10 20H2 (latest skip ahead) on to SSD Copy one 4 GB mkv file from SSD to SATA 4 TB HDD -- speed running at average 212.4 Mib/s Booted up on same computer Linux Centos 7.6 to same SSD after wiping...
  8. Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...: Hi all, Here is a critical problem i have faced. I have inserted my pendrive in an laptop with OS X. As it was in ntfs format the data were shown but writting into this couldn't be done. So I format it to exfat format to get some data. When I insert it into my laptop it was...
  9. NTFS - time for Ms to create new file system ?

NTFS - time for Ms to create new file system ?: Hi there I posted recently about how slow NTFS was when you were copying large amounts of data - especially if the data consisted essentially of zillions of small files. Here's a reliable test which amply demonstrates that it really is time for Ms to at least consider...
  10. NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD

NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD: Hello. I have a SSD just for gaming. That is. A standalone partition without boot (only data; Steam and other games are stored there). I am wondering if I would gain any benefit from going from NTFS to ExFAT. Your opinions are welcome. 18291

Users found this page by searching for:

1. comparison of NTFS and Btrfs

2. ntfs vs xfs