Windows 10: NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

Discus and support NTFS vs NTFS 3.1 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Out of curiosity only: what is the difference between just 'NTFS' and 'NTFS 3.1' Maybe there is none, I don't know. A system tool reports a drive with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tfwul, Jun 18, 2019.

1. tfwul Win User

NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

Out of curiosity only: what is the difference between just 'NTFS' and 'NTFS 3.1'
    Maybe there is none, I don't know.

A system tool reports a drive with NTFS and another drive with NTFS 3.1
    BTW - Windows Diskmgmt show NTFS only

All drives are working fine.

thanks.

:)

tfwul, Jun 18, 2019

2. Fat/ntfs??

FAT= File Allocation Tables
    NTFS= New Type File System or New Technology File System

FAT, as the name suggests, uses file allocation tables to tell the computer where to find specific files. This is generally a large file, outside of the partition, and cannot be seen by the user, only the OS. FAT came in 3 types: FAT, FAT16, and FAT32. FAT used 8-bit allocation tables, FAT16 used 16-bit tables, and FAT32 used 32-bit tables. The 8-bit table was extremely large, using up about 1/25 of the file system (I.E. if the partition was 100GB, the table would be about 4GB, so effectively after the FAT format of a 100GB drive you had 96GB usable). The FAT16 table was half that size (1/50), and smaller yet was the FAT32 table (1/100). Also, when using a FAT file system, you cannot create files larger than 4GB, no matter what file type it is. This creates complications when trying to install large programs, such as Photoshop or F.E.A.R.

NTFS uses no tables, only a TEMP directory and cache located within the OS itself. This makes searching and loading times faster compared to FAT, as the drive head in the HDD does not need to constantly move to the beginning of the drive to examine the table and then back to the OS sectors to find the file its searching for. NTFS's TEMP directory and cache are also significantly smaller than FAT32's tables, usually about 1/5 the size. NTFS was first implemented in Server 2000, and then mainstream in Windows XP.

I hope that answers your question.

Random Murderer, Jun 18, 2019
  3. Fat/ntfs??

FAT32 is generally slower than NTFS and used in Windows 98-2000...
    NTFS was first used in Windows SERVER and then in Windows XP, Server 2003....Its faster and more secure BUT it takes a lot of effort to use it in DOS mode.

HellasVagabond, Jun 18, 2019
  4. NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

USB media formatting recquirerments, FAT32 or NTFS?

Hi,

It doesn't matter if it is FAT32 or NTFS, it depends on the user preference.

For more information about FAT32, and NTFS, kindly check the details below:

NT File System (NTFS):

• NTFS is the modern file system Windows likes to use by default. When you install Windows, it formats your system drive with the NTFS file system.
    • It works with all versions of Windows, but read-only with Mac by default, and may be read-only by default with some Linux distributions. Other devices—with the exception of Microsoft’s Xbox One—probably won’t support NTFS.

FAT32:

• FAT32 is the oldest of the three file systems available to Windows. It was introduced all the way back in Windows 95 to replace the older FAT16 file system used in MS-DOS and Windows 3.
    • Works with all versions of Windows, Mac, Linux, game consoles, and practically anything with a USB port.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards.

Robelene Win, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

1. NTFS vs NTFS 3.1 - Similar Threads - NTFS NTFS

2. Syncing encrypted files and folders between two computers with NTFS and Windows 10/11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Syncing encrypted files and folders between two computers with NTFS and Windows 10/11 Pro: Background: I have encrypted most of my data files on computer A using EFS. I sync those files with computer B using Syncthing. I have installed the EFS certificate from computer A onto computer B and vice versa. Both computers use Windows Pro and NTFS. My question: If I edit...
  3. Syncing encrypted files and folders between two computers with NTFS and Windows 10/11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Syncing encrypted files and folders between two computers with NTFS and Windows 10/11 Pro: Background: I have encrypted most of my data files on computer A using EFS. I sync those files with computer B using Syncthing. I have installed the EFS certificate from computer A onto computer B and vice versa. Both computers use Windows Pro and NTFS. My question: If I edit...
  4. How do I access a NTFS Mounted volume in Ubuntu/WSL ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I access a NTFS Mounted volume in Ubuntu/WSL ?: I have a disk volume that is mounted as a folder in NTFS. It has no drive letter. Just a path C:\Users\me\folderXHow do I mount such a volume in WSL?I am able to munt external disks on WSL via wsl --mount \\**** --bare...
  5. How do I access a NTFS Mounted volume in Ubuntu/WSL ?

How do I access a NTFS Mounted volume in Ubuntu/WSL ?: I have a disk volume that is mounted as a folder in NTFS. It has no drive letter. Just a path C:\Users\me\folderXHow do I mount such a volume in WSL?I am able to munt external disks on WSL via wsl --mount \\**** --bare...
  6. Raw to Ntfs doesnt work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raw to Ntfs doesnt work: Yesterday morning my ssd turned to raw. I don't know why and tried every fix i found in internet. Nothing fixed the issue. These are the some errors i get:chkdsk:The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is Depo. Fixing critical master file table MFT files with MFT...
  7. Raw to Ntfs doesnt work

Raw to Ntfs doesnt work: Yesterday morning my ssd turned to raw. I don't know why and tried every fix i found in internet. Nothing fixed the issue. These are the some errors i get:chkdsk:The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is Depo. Fixing critical master file table MFT files with MFT...
  8. Want to Re-Format Lacie External Drive Back to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Want to Re-Format Lacie External Drive Back to NTFS: I have a Lacie d2 Professional external drive. I want to backup Windows-based files from my HP laptop. However, I previous backed up files from my Mac, not knowing that formatted the external drive for Mac only. I want to re-format the drive to Microsoft NTFS, and not use it...
  9. Want to Re-Format Lacie External Drive Back to NTFS

Want to Re-Format Lacie External Drive Back to NTFS: I have a Lacie d2 Professional external drive. I want to backup Windows-based files from my HP laptop. However, I previous backed up files from my Mac, not knowing that formatted the external drive for Mac only. I want to re-format the drive to Microsoft NTFS, and not use it...
  10. unmountable boot drive ntfs blue screen

unmountable boot drive ntfs blue screen: About a month ago I've bought a brand new 2in1 with windows 11 pro 21h2 preinstalled. Today windows update prompt me to install v23h2 and I accepted. The installation frozen on restart at 73%. I shut it down and on restart it reversed the changes and booted again with v21h2....