Windows 10: ntkrnlmp.exe causing most BSODs (including other driver issues?)

Discus and support ntkrnlmp.exe causing most BSODs (including other driver issues?) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC, Hewlett-Packard, 1849 CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics AMD586, level: 21 4 logical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Coffeecup132, Jun 4, 2016.

1. ntkrnlmp.exe causing most BSODs (including other driver issues?)

HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC, Hewlett-Packard, 1849
    CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics AMD586, level: 21
    4 logical processors, active mask: 15
    RAM: 8Gb
    Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 10586 (upgraded from 8.1)
    Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS

Problem summary:
    Frequent restarts/BSODs requiring repeated restarts (problems started since 8.1 before Windows 10 upgrade)
    During freezes/BSODs, the laptop will heat up (fan whirring like crazy). Occasionally the HP repair software will update BIOS upon restart – but problem still happens often. But when the laptop is stable, I can run games (Call of Duty/Battlefield franchise/ARMA2 etc etc), video editing/rendering with expected smooth performance. Also on good days, until now the laptop has almost never crashed in the midst of playing games/video editing.

SFC scannow will halt at 96%, and DISM will always give me the 0x800f081 error. I have gone through all possible command prompt/powershell/multiple tools methods to restore health from the Techbench ISO/WinSxs etc with no success Sfc scannow/dism failure – need help for manual fix - Windows 10 Forums
    Trying to reinstall Windows 10 from within Windows 10 but laptop always freeze/BSOD mid-installation (at random stages).

Attached is the dm log collector zip file.

I have also included a Whocrashed report below:
    Code: System Information (local) Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 10586 Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS Hardware: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC, Hewlett-Packard, 1849 CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics AMD586, level: 21 4 logical processors, active mask: 15 RAM: 8021880832 bytes total Crash Dump Analysis Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. On Sat 6/4/2016 9:00:20 AM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060416-62078-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xD5, 0xFF, 0xB3, 0xFFFFF802D22680C2) Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. On Sat 6/4/2016 9:00:20 AM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xD5, 0xFF, 0xB3, 0xFFFFF802D22680C2) Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. On Sat 6/4/2016 8:57:28 AM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060416-71015-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown () Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0) Error: CUSTOM_ERROR A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR On Fri 6/3/2016 8:01:42 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060316-50890-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1!VIDMM_GLOBAL:ntkrnlmp.exe causing most BSODs (including other driver issues?) :prepareDmaBuffer+0x1DFE) Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFD00035519580, 0xFFFFD000355194D8, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: DirectX Graphics MMS Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure. The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. On Fri 6/3/2016 7:49:30 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060316-48375-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF6E800288030, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8011BA906D3) Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. On Fri 6/3/2016 7:49:06 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060316-35750-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown () Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0) Error: CUSTOM_ERROR A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR On Fri 6/3/2016 7:43:20 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060316-47437-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xD5, 0xFF, 0x53, 0xFFFFF80355CE20C2) Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. On Thu 6/2/2016 10:41:16 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060216-59500-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFF8005B926B30, 0xFFFFF8005B926A88, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. On Thu 6/2/2016 10:19:30 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060216-48515-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x2A6DF) Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFF801ECD43450, 0xFFFFF801ECD433A8, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys product: ATI Radeon Family company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.). Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE On Thu 6/2/2016 9:56:52 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060216-40687-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: symefasi64.sys (SYMEFASI64+0x457EE) Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFD000209704A0, 0xFFFFD000209703F8, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\N360x64\1606000.08E\SYMEFASI64.SYS product: EFA company: Symantec Corporation description: Symantec Extended File Attributes Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symefasi64.sys (Symantec Extended File Attributes, Symantec Corporation). Google query: Symantec Corporation KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE Conclusion 41 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 5 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers: bhdrvx64.sys (BASH Driver, Symantec Corporation) srtsp64.sys (Symantec AutoProtect, Symantec Corporation) athw10x.sys (Qualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Qualcomm Atheros Communications, Inc.) symefasi64.sys (Symantec Extended File Attributes, Symantec Corporation) atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)[/quote] P.S. I have an identical Windows 10 laptop which runs perfectly - so I can obtain files from that laptop to replace any corrupted ones on this one.

:)

Coffeecup132, Jun 4, 2016

2. Multiple BSODs caused by ntkrnlmp.exe in Windows 10

Hi there,

I have recently bought a new Gigabyte P15f v7 laptop (specs found at P15F v7 | Laptop - GIGABYTE Global).

I upgraded it with another 8GB of Kingston KVR24S17S8/8 memory and a Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD.

I have been having multiple BSODs at mostly random times. Some seemed to occur around the time I would disconnect from my WiFi connection in order to reconnect. I was doing this because I would suddenly loose internet connection on my home WiFi (this wasn't
    happening on other connected devices). This led me to believe it was a WiFi related issue, however after updating the WiFi drivers (and others like chipset, bluetooth, IDE ATA/ATAPI and graphics etc...) I am still experiencing the BSODs.

I used WinDbg to try find the issue. Most of the time the driver causing the crash is ntkrnlmp.exe and I often get a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION code on the BSOD screen. I did notice for one dump file in WinDbg that avgntflt.sys caused the crash. After uninstalling
    Avira antivirus I have not received this problem again, but the ntkrnlmp.exe problems still occur.

I have now used verifier to try identify the problem. I receive a BSOD right after boot before Windows login screen. WinDbg again identifies ntkrnlmp.exe as the cause. I have uploaded this most recent dump created with verifier on here:

050917-3921-01.zip

Please help me! Thanks in advance

Drew Behrens, Jun 4, 2016
  3. Windows 10 BSOD related to ntkrnlmp

Hi,

I am getting BSOD for quite some time; I am using WIndows 10 Lenevo G500s. I realised that my driver were not updated and so I updated my driver. Soon the BSOD error vanished but after a week time it is still appearing. And this time the cause is ntkrnlmp.exe

I am not sure what to do now because drivers are already updated.

Other problem is my laptop does not wake up after sleeping. But I am sure this problem is also related to ntkrnlmp.exe

Here is the latest minidump file.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=331795779FFE97C3!1001&authkey=!APBILoXfdBIO4Es&ithint=file,dmp

Can someone please help. I feel it was a bad decision to upgrade to windows ntkrnlmp.exe causing most BSODs (including other driver issues?) :(

Best

AamirLakdawala, Jun 4, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

ntkrnlmp.exe causing most BSODs (including other driver issues?)

Looks like there is a problem with your video driver for your AMD Radeon HD 7640G.

Code: fffff802`d3b3c738 fffff800`d2744eadUnable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys atikmdag+0x84ead[/quote] Looks lie AMD is not providing any more support beyond what is provided here: AMD Radeon™ Software Support for Legacy Graphics Products

Try that driver, Catalyst and Crimson edition, see if that helps. If not you are looking at a new video card if you want to stay with Windows 10.

Also check the power levels for your computer using a program like SpeedFan.

Ztruker, Jun 5, 2016
  5. Thanks Ztruker for your analysis and suggestion. I'm not a technical person, so not quite sure about what you meant about the power levels reading that I can derive from Speedfan - so I have uploaded the Speedfan display here:

ntkrnlmp.exe causing most BSODs (including other driver issues?) [​IMG]

I will definitely try the suggested Catalyst and Crimson drivers, and see how my PC behaves - thank you and I will be back to report the outcome(s).

Coffeecup132, Jun 6, 2016
  6. I just noticed one curious point:

My laptop has 8Gb RAM (been using it for 3 years). But sometimes system information reports it as only 4Gb RAM, while on occasions it says the actual 8Gb RAM.

(Bios reports 8Gb RAM, and the msconfig 'Maximum memory' is not checked)

Laptop's performance now is every bit as fast as it has always been with 8Gb RAM all these years (all my twenty graphic intensive games play great as normal).

What is the reason for this inconsistency in RAM amount reporting, and should I worry about this?

Thank you.

Coffeecup132, Jun 6, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    I don't know what is causing the inconsistent ram size.

Try swapping the ram modules around. This is usually pretty easy, just remove the cover on the bottom of the laptop and the two ram modules should be accessible there. Maybe just re-seating them will solve it. Other than that I don't know.

Ztruker, Jun 7, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Have you tried the two ATI drivers I gave you the link to?

Ztruker, Jun 8, 2016
  9. Hi Ztruker. The catalyst driver was the one that I was already using at the time the problems were occurring, so I installed the Crimson drivers. I have been traveling since then and haven't been using my laptop as much as I normally do, so waiting to come home for the real acid test, BUT, ever since the Crimson drivers, the number of BSODs have lessened very significantly. Instead of BSODs, it is more the PC restarts itself (and that occurs with less frequency to the pre-Crimson BSODs).

I will report again in a few days time.

Coffeecup132, Jun 13, 2016
  10. Hi again Ztruker *Smile

On the AMD Crimson graphic drivers, the BSODs are significantly less - now BSODs/crashes happening almost exclusively only during starting/restarting (needs a few attempts).
    Laptop will heat up during BSODs/crashes, thus waiting the laptop to cool down increases chance to start/restart successfully.

However once I manage to get to the desktop, I can be video editing/rendering, running games (Battlefield 3, COD Ghosts etc) almost without BSODs/crashes for 24 hours or maybe even longer - during these times even when the laptop runs hot as a stove, there are still almost no BSODs/crashes, with no performance deterioration at all (as long as I don't try to restart Windows again).

I have redone and reattached the new dm log collector zip file if you would like to have a second reassessment.

Thank you!

Coffeecup132, Jun 23, 2016
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jun 24, 2016
  12. Thank you very much for your advice! I am travelling now and will perform a clean boot once I get the chance.

Will be reporting the outcome to you once I do it.

Again, thank you!

Coffeecup132, Jun 25, 2016
  13. Ztruker Win User

Okay, safe travelling. I'll be here when you get back.

Ztruker, Jun 26, 2016
  14. Hi Ztruker! I didn’t come back immediately because after installing the AMD Crimson driver suggested, though my problems did not immediately disappear, they are gradually lessening over four weeks, leading to the current situation:

1) laptop almost never crashes in use - sometimes on up to 24 hours, with video editing, gaming (Battlefield 3, Call of Duty Ghosts etc etc).
    2) the previously often ‘laptop heating up & fan going crazy’ problem is now rare

I did the clean boot, and only enabled what I need:

Now, I still get BSODs/freezes/restart loop happening about twice upon starting/restarting most times, as opposed to happening 7-8 times with every startup. Not perfect, but the suggested AMD Crimson drivers are the biggest improvement which allowed me to finally at least ‘use’ my laptop for long periods.

AMD informed of new Crimson drivers available:

Should I update, or should I stay with the ‘don’t try to fix what is not so broken anymore’? I don’t want to go back to the previous state of too often & disruptive BSODs.

I have also included the latest dm log collector results just in case if that is relevant at this stage.

Thank you Ztruker!

Coffeecup132, Jul 28, 2016
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Nothing useful (again) in the dump.

Definitely try the new Crimson driver. If worse then just roll back via Device Manager.

It would be a good idea to test your RAM in case it's causing problems.

===================================================
    RAM:

Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Information

MemTest86+
    is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
    • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
    • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

Warning
    MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ by a Ten Forums member make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

Note
    MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.

Ztruker, Jul 29, 2016
Thema:

1. ntkrnlmp.exe causing most BSODs (including other driver issues?) - Similar Threads - ntkrnlmp exe causing

2. ntkrnlmp cause BSOD.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ntkrnlmp cause BSOD.exe: My computer has frequent BSOD, once every 3 days, so I reinstalled Windows, but the BSOD still exists, now once or twice a day, all caused by ntkrnlmp.exe, please help me analyze and solve this annoying problem.My specs:i9-13900knVidia RTX 409032GB RAM *21TB SSD boot drive...
  3. ntkrnlmp cause BSOD.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ntkrnlmp cause BSOD.exe: My computer has frequent BSOD, once every 3 days, so I reinstalled Windows, but the BSOD still exists, now once or twice a day, all caused by ntkrnlmp.exe, please help me analyze and solve this annoying problem.My specs:i9-13900knVidia RTX 409032GB RAM *21TB SSD boot drive...
  4. ntkrnlmp cause BSOD.exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. frequent BSOD for ntkrnlmp

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    frequent BSOD for ntkrnlmp: Hello it's been a while that my pc suddenyl, and without a proper pattern sometimes even by just standing still gets a bsod and pc shuts down totally. I have everything updated, all drivers and even the bios of the mobo but the problem persists. here's the dump For analysis...
  6. frequent BSOD for ntkrnlmp

frequent BSOD for ntkrnlmp: Hello it's been a while that my pc suddenyl, and without a proper pattern sometimes even by just standing still gets a bsod and pc shuts down totally. I have everything updated, all drivers and even the bios of the mobo but the problem persists. here's the dump For analysis...
  7. frequent BSOD for ntkrnlmp

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Driver issue causing BSOD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver issue causing BSOD?: Hi,I have a second PC that is pretty old - 10 - 11 years.It had Windows 7 installed and I just got a Windows 10 licence for it.During install it crashed a lot with a BSOD saying KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. It does not give any other details, there is no file name in brackets...
  9. Code Integrity violation in ntkrnlmp? What's actually causing the issue?

Code Integrity violation in ntkrnlmp? What's actually causing the issue?: Hello, could some one more knowledgeable than me take a look at the following issue? First off, here's the dump file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BaVs4EYuxtAzQkcDAIVW_uL2Wi8QjfNR I enabled Driver Verifier with every option selected except for randomized and...
  10. Code Integrity violation in ntkrnlmp? What's actually causing the issue?

Code Integrity violation in ntkrnlmp? What's actually causing the issue?: Hello, could some one more knowledgeable than me take a look at the following issue? First off, here's the dump file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BaVs4EYuxtAzQkcDAIVW_uL2Wi8QjfNR I enabled Driver Verifier with every option selected except for randomized and...
Tags: