Windows 10: NTLDR missing on USB boot

Discus and support NTLDR missing on USB boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Why is it when I try to install Win 10 from a boot USB onto an old desktop which currently runs XP SP3, I get an error "NTLDR is missing" ? (Yes, I set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by keithjr, Apr 28, 2017.

1. keithjr Win User

NTLDR missing on USB boot

Why is it when I try to install Win 10 from a boot USB onto an old desktop which currently runs XP SP3, I get an error "NTLDR is missing" ? (Yes, I set the boot order to USB first). *Sad

The target machine has an ALiveNF6G-DVI mobo with legacy BIOS at v2.2

The bootable USB stick was prepared on my UEFI desktop using MS media creation tool. 64 bit option selected. I tested it there and it boots fine.

:)

keithjr, Apr 28, 2017

2. Windows 10 removed ntldr how do I get it back

Chances are the bootloader on your hard drive is corrupted. Download a copy of Hirens Boot CD and boot your pc. There is a section for NTLDR missing to repair it.

RobertOZ81, Apr 28, 2017
  3. not loaded windows 10 - ntldr is missing

ntldr is missing

KatDeForrest, Apr 28, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

You may have to set the BIOS in the target machine to UEFI defaults and then try to boot from that USB drive. See post #5.

5. keithjr Win User
    I dont remember seeing that option in the target machines BIOS. Will have another look. I suppose if it cant be set to UEFI then I need to build the boot media using the target machine?

keithjr, Apr 29, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    I looked at your BIOS and it does have a UEFI option:

Note from link below:
    Please update to the latest BIOS with Instant Flash or Internet Flash in the UEFI setup if you are using Windows® 10. See post #5.

ASRock > ALiveNF6G-DVI

And yes, if you want to stay with the legacy option, it would be more appropriate to create the boot media directly on the target machine so it will boot as Legacy.

Good luck,

7. WOT
    WOT Win User
    UPDATE: I looked at your owner's manual and I agree that you do not have UEFI capabilities. Moreover, your latest BIOS is from 2007 so I don't know how they could have issued such an advisory:

Please update to the latest BIOS with Instant Flash or Internet Flash in the UEFI setup if you are using Windows® 10.

Actually, I think that is/was just intended to be a global advisory and does not apply to your specific BIOS. With that said, I would simply just create the media on the target machine (as you had suggested).

Good luck,

8. keithjr Win User

Using the XP machine to create the usb media, it told me that the media creation tool was not supported - I should go to a Win 7/8 or 10 machine (Going round in circles!).

So what I have managed to do is download the Win 10 iso on the XP machine and now need to make this into a bootable USB. Can I do it so that it will work with both BIOS/UEFI setups?

keithjr, Apr 30, 2017
  9. Ztruker Win User
    I use Rufus for this and select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI.

I'm sure some folks will chime in with ways to do this without Rufus too.

Ztruker, Apr 30, 2017
  10. keithjr Win User
    I downloaded Rufus and selected MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM. Created a new boot usb. However I find it still will not boot, giving NTLDR missing error. Any clues?

keithjr, Apr 30, 2017
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Is your older PC capable of booting from USB? Are you using the F8 key to select the USB flash drive as the boot device?

Ztruker, Apr 30, 2017
  12. keithjr Win User
    I'm entering BIOS using f2 at powerup, then setting boot order.

I have just discovered there are issues with NTFS large files on XP USB, done some tweaks and hoping for better result. Watch this space!

mmmm - no improvement *Mad

keithjr, Apr 30, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Your USB flash drive should not be NTFS. It should have only a FAT32 partition marked as active.

NavyLCDR, May 1, 2017
  14. keithjr Win User
    Using Rufus, if I select Fat32 I get an error "The file system currently selected can not be used with this type of ISO. Please select a different file systm or use a different ISO". Thats why I used NTFS. Do I need to get a "different" ISO?

keithjr, May 1, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, your ISO is fine. You don't need to use Rufus. Format the USB flash drive as FAT32, mark the partition as Active. Mount the ISO file, copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the FAT32 flash drive.

See here:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9 make sure to read the important box and use FAT32.

NavyLCDR, May 1, 2017
Thema:

1. NTLDR missing on USB boot - Similar Threads - NTLDR missing USB

2. Unmountable Boot Volume and NTLDR Missing error messages when rebooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unmountable Boot Volume and NTLDR Missing error messages when rebooting: I have an older laptop that originally had Windows 7 x32 on it, it's a Toshiba satellite l505. The Windows 7 that's on it is not a genuine copy the product key is too worn out to read, no backups on it. I cannot get the laptop to even boot up in any of the safe modes. It...
  3. Unmountable Boot Volume and NTLDR Missing error messages when rebooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable Boot Volume and NTLDR Missing error messages when rebooting: I have an older laptop that originally had Windows 7 x32 on it, it's a Toshiba satellite l505. The Windows 7 that's on it is not a genuine copy the product key is too worn out to read, no backups on it. I cannot get the laptop to even boot up in any of the safe modes. It...
  4. NTLDR MISSING Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTLDR MISSING Windows 8.1: Hello,First time posting, so please forgive me in advance if I break etiquette, and thanks in advance for the help. So I got a new SSD and I tried cloning my old HDD over Windows 8.1. Both are 4TB. I'm using Acronis for Crucial and it's taking days. So I cancel it and moved...
  5. NTLDR MISSING Windows 8.1

NTLDR MISSING Windows 8.1: Hello,First time posting, so please forgive me in advance if I break etiquette, and thanks in advance for the help. So I got a new SSD and I tried cloning my old HDD over Windows 8.1. Both are 4TB. I'm using Acronis for Crucial and it's taking days. So I cancel it and moved...
  6. Cani fix NTLDR is missing with a normal clean usb pendrived

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cani fix NTLDR is missing with a normal clean usb pendrived: Can i fix it with a usb that doesnt contain anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cani-fix-ntldr-is-missing-with-a-normal-clean-usb/cd22b520-4e8d-4b36-86ca-43399580de80
  7. Cani fix NTLDR is missing with a normal clean usb pendrived

Cani fix NTLDR is missing with a normal clean usb pendrived: Can i fix it with a usb that doesnt contain anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cani-fix-ntldr-is-missing-with-a-normal-clean-usb/cd22b520-4e8d-4b36-86ca-43399580de80
  8. Cani fix NTLDR is missing with a normal clean usb pendrived

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. NTLDR is Missing Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTLDR is Missing Windows 10: I left my computer in and presumably the computer did an update in my absence Windows 10 updated. When I returned home, I found the nasty message NTLDR is missing. 2 So far, I have tried using Windows 10 DVD to repair to no avail, System Restore to no avail. I pulled the...
  10. NTLDR Missing. Computer will not boot

in Windows 10 Support
    NTLDR Missing. Computer will not boot: The computer received the last Microsoft update a few days ago. After the finish and the last reboot, my screen when to Black. Upon trying to reboot, it would not. Tried a startup disk and after a while, the NTLDR message appeared. Have not been able to boot it since. My...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rufus ntldr missing