Windows 10: Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive.

Discus and support Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm on Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.253) and i'm getting low disk usage on my secondary (D:) and (E:) drives, the disk usage is low but it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Nikorasu, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Nikorasu Win User

Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive.

I'm on Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.253) and i'm getting low disk usage on my secondary (DNtoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive. :) and (ENtoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive. :) drives, the disk usage is low but it's very audible as I can hear my Hard Disk Drives reading/seeking, my OS drive is a SSD. The disk usage happens at random and is annoying. No other drive should be even accessed unless I access them manually through File Explorer or by launching an application, game, movie, music, picture, etc. Why is ntoskrnl.exe causing disk usage on my secondary drives? System protection is only enabled on my OS drive (SSD) as well as virtual memory. I don't have any viruses on my system. I don't have any programs set to launch automatically from my secondary drives either. I disabled runtime broker by renaming it so that disk usage hog is out of the way, now ntoskrnl.exe is causing problems. The S.M.A.R.T readings on my drives are completely fine as well.

My specs:
    CPU: Intel i7 8700K
    GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
    RAM: 16 GB DDR4
    (CNtoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive. :) Samsung 960 Pro 1TB m.2
    (DNtoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive. :) Western Digital 6TB BLACK
    (ENtoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive. :) Segate Barracuda Pro 12 TB.

:)

Nikorasu, Feb 8, 2019
  2. Marki243 Win User

100% Disk Usage on Secondary Hard Drive

I'm not too sure entirely if this is Windows 10 or the hard drive, but recently on one of my secondary drives, the disk usage spikes up to 100% and stays at max for a long time. The capacity of the hard drive is 1TB and I've split it into two partitions.
    I noticed this happens when I use the Dolphin Emulator and access files from the "GAME" partition I made or when I play games on the "GAME" partition. Windows doesn't lag, but the application(s) in question slow down to a standstill without any real reason
    it seems.

Thank you for your advice and help.

Marki243, Feb 8, 2019
  3. 100% Disk Usage on Secondary Hard Drive

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting your query in Micro soft Community.

I understand that you get High disk usage error while playing game. I’ll certainly help you with this.

Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Method1: Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

1.Open Task Manager and click on Details tab.

2.Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".

3.From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click OK.

4.Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.

5.Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.

If you not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Important note: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Method 2: Run Microsoft Safety Scanner

Refer the link below to download the Microsoft Safety scanner

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

Important note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, Feb 8, 2019
  4. Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive.

100% Usage on Secondary HDD

I'm sure that isn't a problem with my HDD. I've just bought this brand new WD 4TB HDD. And on the top of this inquiry, I mentioned that something wired is that the 100% usage jumps between HDDs. It's disk E,F,G this time and it would be disk C,D or H,L next
    time after I restart.(I have 3 Secondary Hdds).

The 100% occurs only when some applications are making use of the disk, such as file copying.

donglinyang, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive.

1. Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive. - Similar Threads - Ntoskrnl disk usage

2. 100% disk usage on secondary drive causing freezing issurs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage on secondary drive causing freezing issurs: I have 4 storage devices being 2 hdd and 2 nvme ssds the issue is with my secondary 2tb nvme drive where it will reach 100% usage as soon as I turn on my pc and start freezing around 10 minutes after I turn it on the freezes then occur every minute or so and last around 10...
  3. 100% disk usage on secondary drive causing freezing issurs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disk usage on secondary drive causing freezing issurs: I have 4 storage devices being 2 hdd and 2 nvme ssds the issue is with my secondary 2tb nvme drive where it will reach 100% usage as soon as I turn on my pc and start freezing around 10 minutes after I turn it on the freezes then occur every minute or so and last around 10...
  4. Data usage by ntoskrnl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data usage by ntoskrnl: So I try to play league of legends and out of nowhere my game starts lagging, high ping for a very long time . So I open task manager and see that ntoskrnl.exe System is using my network. This has been going for more than a month and I've tried so many things to resolve it...
  5. Data usage by ntoskrnl

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data usage by ntoskrnl: So I try to play league of legends and out of nowhere my game starts lagging, high ping for a very long time . So I open task manager and see that ntoskrnl.exe System is using my network. This has been going for more than a month and I've tried so many things to resolve it...
  6. Data usage by ntoskrnl

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. 100% usage on my secondary disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% usage on my secondary disk: Hi, I've been suffering some performance problems with my computer for a while; I've had even some stuttering problems that I couldn't resolve. Now, I've seen that my secondary hard drivve it's always at 100% usage: I've never noticed this because on the processes tab on the...
  8. 100% Disk Usage on Secondary Steam Games SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk Usage on Secondary Steam Games SSD: I have had a strange problem for over a month now and have made lots of different attempts to fix it. When starting my computer one of my SSDs runs at 100% usage slowing down the entire computer, especially file explorer even though it only has a steam library on it. I...
  9. Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive.

in Windows 10 Support
    Ntoskrnl disk usage on secondary drive.: I'm on Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.253) and i'm getting low disk usage on my secondary (D:) and (E:) drives, the disk usage is low but it's very audible as I can hear my Hard Disk Drives, my OS drive is a SSD. The disk usage happens at random and is annoying. No...
  10. ntoskrnl High CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ntoskrnl High CPU usage: Hello Guys , im strugling for few days with this and no luck. ntoskrnl is constantly using 1 of cores as shown below. [img] Process name is System and compressed memory, and is pointing to ntoskrnl [img] Im using laptop Samsung np350v5c-s0dpl i7...