Windows 10: ntoskrnl.exe started crashing after Windows Updates

Discus and support ntoskrnl.exe started crashing after Windows Updates in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 64-bit system, with three user accounts, all with Administrative privileges. I was having an issue with Windows where ntoskrnl.exe was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by S Malik, Feb 8, 2017.

1. S Malik Win User

ntoskrnl.exe started crashing after Windows Updates

I have a 64-bit system, with three user accounts, all with Administrative privileges. I was having an issue with Windows where ntoskrnl.exe was crashing each time I was Signing in or Signing out from any user account. After the crash, it was creating two .dmp files into C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\win32k.sys and C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports. I reset my PC and just updated Windows. After I restarted my PC, same issue. Looks like one of the updates showing in the attached snapshot is causing this issue.

ntoskrnl.exe started crashing after Windows Updates [​IMG]

:)

S Malik, Feb 8, 2017

2. ntoskrnl.exe started crashing after Windows Updates

I see.

If you're running Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693) and KB3211320 is listed in
    Installed Updates (not just Update History), chances are your ongoing "ntoskrnl.exe" crashes are
    not related to any updates (with the exception of driver updates). cf.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-fix-ntoskrnlexe-bsod-3613143/

Me, too! But this is a Consumer-specific, peer-to-peer support forum. You'd be much better off posting in the Win10 IT Pro-specific forums =>

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

Good luck.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Feb 8, 2017
  3. ntoskrnl.exe started crashing after Windows Updates

1. How many "clean installs" of Windows 10 have you done? [If you just did a Reset, you did NOT do a "clean install" of Windows 10.]

2. Did you originally upgrade a Windows 7 computer or a Windows 8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Windows 10?

3. What happens when you open Edge or Internet Explorer (ONLY!) to this page? =>

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

4. May I assume that KB3211320 is NOT listed in Installed Updates (or Update History) and that KB3211320 is NOT offered when you run a manual check for updates?

5. Is ntoskrnl.exe still crashing when you sign in to a User Account?

6. Is ntoskrnl.exe still crashing when you sign out of a User Account?

NOTE: If you're running Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693), the latest cumulative update (i.e., KB3213986) is
    already installed.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Feb 8, 2017
  4. S Malik Win User

I found the cause of this issue. It was the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986), that was causing ntoskrnl.exe to crash. I uninstalled that update and the issue is now gone.

S Malik, Feb 8, 2017
  5. S Malik Win User
    I was having this issue since I installed this update last month. I reset my machine to find the cause of that issue. After I reset the PC, I didn't install any third party software or driver. I just updated Windows and right after that, I started having the same issue. When I uninstalled the update, the issue was gone. By the way, I reinstalled the update to check it and the issue came back again.

Here are my findings.

This issue was creating two dump files. One small, which is usually less than 290 KB and the second one which is up to 900 MB.

Location of the small dump file

Small dump file crash report 1

Small dump file crash report 2

Location of the large dump file

Large dump file crash report 1

Large dump file crash report 2

S Malik, Feb 9, 2017
  6. S Malik Win User
    Windows Error Report

S Malik, Feb 9, 2017
  7. Ita1 Win User
  8. S Malik Win User

By the way, I am not getting a blue screen. ntoskrnl.exe crashes whenever I Sign in to a User Account or Sign out of a User Account.

S Malik, Feb 12, 2017
  9. S Malik Win User
    Just installed the latest Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3216755) and it looks like the issue is resolved.

S Malik, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. ntoskrnl.exe started crashing after Windows Updates - Similar Threads - ntoskrnl exe started

2. ntoskrnl Windows 11 Crash PC Bootable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ntoskrnl Windows 11 Crash PC Bootable: HiI started getting full blue screen crashes after having no previous issues. Starting today when I booted my PC.I cannot provide minidump files or run CMD as admin as that leads to instant crashes. I run the latest drivers on windows and my Nvidia graphics card. I have tried...
  3. ntoskrnl Windows 11 Crash PC Bootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ntoskrnl Windows 11 Crash PC Bootable: HiI started getting full blue screen crashes after having no previous issues. Starting today when I booted my PC.I cannot provide minidump files or run CMD as admin as that leads to instant crashes. I run the latest drivers on windows and my Nvidia graphics card. I have tried...
  4. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: KUKutter_UKFirstly, I would like to say that I am posting this again because after having an instant reply from an 'Andrew', and posting my dmp files as requested on July 24th I haven't heard anything back since! I have responded a couple of times but nothing is happening to...
  5. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: Hi there, My new machine around 8 months old now runs perfectly most of the time. Uptime 3 - 6 weeks at a time. NO issues at all - I am a heavy PC user: Gaming, Audio Work and some 3D modelling, so my machine goes through its paces.Every now and then on boot, I get the error...
  6. applications started crashing after updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    applications started crashing after updating: Games and applications are crashing, when i click start it opens for a bit then closes, it's hard to access settings for it does the same thing, it crashes and even search function does the same thing.Can somebody please help me with this....
  7. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  8. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...
  9. Window 10 Crash on Awake ntoskrnl

Window 10 Crash on Awake ntoskrnl: On Fri 5/19/2017 7:08:23 PM your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051917-12968-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16C310) Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800D8C2560E) Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL...
  10. NTOSKRNL Crash

NTOSKRNL Crash: Hey guys, I have been having an issue with my computer randomly shutting off (when I am not near the computer). My PC almost almost posts a BSOD when I manually restart or shutdown the computer. I have checked the dump logs, which point back to ntoskrnl.exe as the problem. I...
Tags: