Windows 10: NTUSER.DAT is 50GB

Discus and support NTUSER.DAT is 50GB in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Help please. My computer is telling me that my NTUSER.DAT file is 50GB when I'm of the understanding it should just be a few MB... This is of course... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnthonyPipes, Jun 7, 2020.

1. NTUSER.DAT is 50GB

Help please. My computer is telling me that my NTUSER.DAT file is 50GB when I'm of the understanding it should just be a few MB...

This is of course making my C drive almost full.

I believe it is not adviseable to delete it so can anyone please advise on what I can do to resolve this issue?

Massive thanks in advance.

:)

AnthonyPipes, Jun 7, 2020

2. Microsoft Solitaire Collection not working even after resetting Windows.

Hi,

As well as the 3 ntuser files listed, there are 5 ntuser.dat(*****).regtrans-ms files and 2 ntuser,dat(*****).blf files.

Do I copy those as well or unselect them like the 3 you listed?

Ed

Fleetchief, Jun 7, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Associate .dat files to NotePad

Hi Rick

Right click a dat file, choose 'Open With' - Choose Another App

Important - Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open dat . . .'

If Notepad is not in the list, scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Again if Notepad is not in the list, at the bottom, click 'Look for another app on this PC', then navigate to find the Notepad application in C:\Windows\System32

DaveM121, Jun 7, 2020
  4. NTUSER.DAT is 50GB

How do I reset the "Most used" list.

UserAssist appears to be a binary repository where recently used apps and files are stored but does not contain the settings or list of apps that are shown in the "Most Used" list.

I just tested a workaround: I created a new user profile and everything worked. This tells me the problem is in the user profile files ntuser.dat and (system.dat?). You could back up your system. Backup ntuser.dat and that other dat file in your user
    profile (uncheck "Hide protected operating system files") in folder options first. create a new profile with admin rights and switch user to access it and then delete or move your dat files. when you log back in your entire profile will be reset to default.
    you could also remove your hard drive and access it from another computer. I'm going to test my theory by booting from BartPE and making the change.

I just moved the following files to my D: drive:

SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\NTUSER.DAT

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\ntuser.dat.LOG1

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\ntuser.dat.LOG2

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\NTUSER.DAT{62e13464-7ee5-11e5-80c4-a4badb40df56}.TM.blf

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\NTUSER.DAT{62e13464-7ee5-11e5-80c4-a4badb40df56}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\NTUSER.DAT{62e13464-7ee5-11e5-80c4-a4badb40df56}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\ntuser.ini

Login was like logging in for the first time to windows. Also my tiles were a bit messed up. Got a message that I would have a temporary profile and that all changes would be deleted after I logged off. Every time I start I get that message. Probably
    need to reset / recreate the profile with an ms approved tool or method.

PaulCofrancesco, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

NTUSER.DAT is 50GB

1. NTUSER.DAT is 50GB - Similar Threads - NTUSER DAT 50GB

2. DAT file concerns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DAT file concerns: Just now, I deleted a lot of temp files. I was going really fast and I ended up deleting some DAT files. I read about these just now and I learnt that they contained critical about programs used to create specific files. I also read that DAT files can have Windows registry....
  3. Azure VM with 50GB root directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Azure VM with 50GB root directory: Hi,I want to spin up a Ubuntu/Centos/RHEL VM having 50GB for root directory.I tried with Standard_D8s_V3 and Standard_D4ads_v5, but no luck.Can anyone suggestRegards,Jessie...
  4. .DAT video

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .DAT video: How to view .DAT video file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dat-video/3b66e0b2-8042-479e-bcdd-d0d14a83b7eb
  5. what is the "ntuser" file?

what is the "ntuser" file?: just wondering what the heck "ntuser" is? I found this when looking through a section in my files. the file is un-openable , and doesn't appear to have any negative affects but I just wanted to know what is or if I need to remove it....
  6. .DAT Properties?

.DAT Properties?: Hello. What is .DAT Properties mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dat-properties/061cc1f5-549f-4f66-ade4-259534a0eba6
  7. Delete a DAT file

Delete a DAT file: Hello, My program SuperAntiSpyware detected a malware file named "UsrClass.dat", because this is a Data file when I try to delete it an error message appears "this action can't be taken because the file is open in the system". How can I delete this file? Thanks,...
  8. 50GB worth of irremovable temporary files

50GB worth of irremovable temporary files: I've realised my 128GB Surface Laptop 2 has been running out of space extremely quickly in the last month or so. After opening a game to play it, I the game, as well as the Discord audio crashed, forcing me to restart. I came back to my laptop telling me that I needed to...
  9. .Dat

.Dat: a pop up window on my lap top screen keeps popping up asking...'how do you want '.Dat' file to open??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dat/c86468b5-08a2-45b3-aa6b-0f576f581b3c"
  10. Disable WebCacheV01.dat

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable WebCacheV01.dat: I use local, the directory will be C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache. I would like to be able to stop this caching. Things I have tried. I have been successful at changing the security properties and disabled the inherence. Removed all users...