Windows 10: Num Lock beep won't disable AND Number Pad not typing numbers

Discus and support Num Lock beep won't disable AND Number Pad not typing numbers in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I had a friend bring her laptop in. She has Windows 10 Previously the keyboard was disabled due to windows updates hanging. I connected an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by 1LostUser, Mar 11, 2020.

1. 1LostUser Win User

Num Lock beep won't disable AND Number Pad not typing numbers

I had a friend bring her laptop in. She has Windows 10

Previously the keyboard was disabled due to windows updates hanging.

I connected an external keyboard, connected to our wifi, and let windows updates finish and restart update 1909. It ran overnight and an hours or so into the morning once I logged on. Every thing seemed to be fine so I gave her the laptop back.

After a few days she calls back saying that her numlock key is making beeping noises. Incidentally, the Num Lock key on this laptop has no light.

I looked at the laptop and searched online. It appears that there is a feature in her Windows 10 laptop, underEase of Access / Keyboard called Toggle Keys.

I fiddled around with this but could not get the beep to go away. Also, the number pad would never type numbers BUT would allow it to work as arrow keys.

The Toggle Keys info in Win10 shows:

Use Toggle Keys

Play a sound whenever you press Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock.

[on / off]

It also has a check box below:

[ ] - Allow the shortcut key to start to start Toggle Keys

"Press and hold the Num Lock key for five seconds to turn on Toggle Keys"

I turned off the toggle and it toggles off/on the Caps Lock beep but not theNum Lock beep I did not find a Scroll Lock.

I left the Shortcut Key enabled/checked and held down the Num Lock key for five seconds. This did bring up a window asking if I wanted to turn onToggle Keys.

I played around with this but still the Number Pad would not type numbers and would either not do anything OR it would act as arrow keys.

Also, with Toggle Keys on or off, the Num Lock key would always make a beep. The beep has a higher note for being enabled and a lower note for being disabled. It does not matter if whatToggle Keys is set at nor if the Num Lock is on or off, theNumber Pad doesn't work.

Looking for a solution for turning off the beeping noise.

:)

1LostUser, Mar 11, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Num pad won't type numbers, just moves mouse

You have pressed NUM LOCK key, possibly accidentally. The key is on top left corner of num pad, it toggles num pad ON / OFF. When off, number keys work as mouse keys.

3. number pad

Did you press the Num Lock button? On mine by default it does what is listed under the numbers, the arrows etc. If I press the Num Lock key then the numbers work.

alphanumeric, Mar 11, 2020
  4. Num Lock beep won't disable AND Number Pad not typing numbers

How to turn off beeping sound on num lock

OT- Num Lock Beep Sound

Hi

Yesterday I was seeing my settings and there i found Toggle Key Option which enables the sound when Caps lock key or Num lock key is pressed, then i enabled it and checked after that i Disabled it again. Today when i pressed num lock key i found that beep
    sound is still on and the toggle key is disabled. Caps Lock key not making any sound only Num Lock key is making beep sound. I tried to enable it again and disable but then also it is making that beep sound and I found that number pad is also not working.

If there is any solution for this then please provide me in the comment section.

Thank You...

JeetTrivedi, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

Num Lock beep won't disable AND Number Pad not typing numbers

1. Num Lock beep won't disable AND Number Pad not typing numbers - Similar Threads - Num Lock beep

2. Number Pad Lock Not Turning Off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number Pad Lock Not Turning Off.: Made attempts to toggle on / off the Number Lock to type numbers, but will not toggle back. I can only use it as arrows. Even tried the on-screen keyboard option to toggle but no success....
  3. Number Pad Lock Not Turning Off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Number Pad Lock Not Turning Off.: Made attempts to toggle on / off the Number Lock to type numbers, but will not toggle back. I can only use it as arrows. Even tried the on-screen keyboard option to toggle but no success....
  4. Number Pad Lock Not Turning Off.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Number pad after Win 11 Update will type symbols but not the numbers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number pad after Win 11 Update will type symbols but not the numbers: Split from this thread.My number pad will not work online after Win 11 Update. It will type the symbols but not the numbers. Solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-pad-after-win-11-update-will-type-symbols/1de61884-1740-4c94-ba89-b6560281bd83
  6. Number pad after Win 11 Update will type symbols but not the numbers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Number pad after Win 11 Update will type symbols but not the numbers: Split from this thread.My number pad will not work online after Win 11 Update. It will type the symbols but not the numbers. Solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-pad-after-win-11-update-will-type-symbols/1de61884-1740-4c94-ba89-b6560281bd83
  7. Numpad numbers won't type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Numpad numbers won't type: Some keys on my numpad won't type. Even without caps lock on. Keys include 8, 2, star, and period. How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/numpad-numbers-wont-type/33a2ce04-991b-4d17-b9ba-9d9e9941dd19
  8. Num pad won't type numbers, just moves mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num pad won't type numbers, just moves mouse: Hello, Some time during today my num pad stopped typing numbers and instead started moving the mouse. It works just like Mouse Keys, but I have made sure Mouse Keys is turned off in the options. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how I can turn it off?...
  9. Num pad won't type numbers, just moves mouse

in Windows 10 Support
    Num pad won't type numbers, just moves mouse: Hello, Some time during today my num pad stopped typing numbers and instead started moving the mouse. It works just like Mouse Keys, but I have made sure Mouse Keys is turned off in the options. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how I can turn it off?...
  10. number pad

in Windows 10 Support
    number pad: don't know if this is a win 10 problem or my samsung np550p7c-02uk laptop only the number 5 works on it 3592