Windows 10: num lock will not stay on

Discus and support num lock will not stay on in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; num lock will not stay on, in the regstry the value is set at two? thanks re... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by REBrake, Feb 11, 2020.

1. REBrake Win User

num lock will not stay on

num lock will not stay on, in the regstry the value is set at two?

thanks

re

:)

REBrake, Feb 11, 2020

2. Num Lock refuses to stay on

Scenario: I log in to my Acer Aspire F5-572-57T8 laptop and am presented with my desktop. Num Lock is on and all is normal. Some time (probably 5-10 minutes, haven't tested to see if it's the same interval each time) after I've stopped using the number pad, however, Num Lock disables itself. I try to type a number, notice that Num Lock is off, and hit the button, restarting the cycle.

Does anyone have any clue what causes this and if there's a way to stop it?

Andrew Stewart, Feb 11, 2020
  3. How do I make Num Lock default to 'ON' at startup (& then stay on!)?

Hello. How do I make my Num Lock default to the 'ON' setting at startup? At the moment, it defaults to off, and I have to press the Num Lock key each time to turn it on. It was always on by default in Windows 7 previously.

I have tried changing the code in Regit to 2147483650, as suggested somewhere online, and also to 80000002 as suggested somewhere else! But neither ensure that Num Lock comes on automatically at startup and then stays on permanently, which I want it to
    do. (Not wishing to make things complicated, one of those numbers seemed to make it turn on at the Windows 10 Lock/Login page, but then turn off afterwards!)

I use the numeric keypad a lot, so any helpful assistance gratefully received.

Franniefanakapan, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Kris Ver Win User

NUM Lock issue

Hi Karl,

The status of the NUM LOCK key is specific for each user, and NUM LOCK is disabled by default. If you want the NUM LOCK key enabled for use before a user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL to log on, you must use Registry Editor to change the default behavior.

To enable NUM LOCK before a user logs on, follow these steps:

• Run Registry Editor.
    • Move to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard.
    • Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

IMPORTANT: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article
    in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: How to back up and restore the registry in Window.

Kindly update us with the result.

Kris Ver, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

1. num lock will not stay on - Similar Threads - num lock stay

2. Num lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    Num lock: bios numlock is on, registry in default user is set to 2 as well as specific users, as they look date formatted i dont think it matters, but they were all 0 so i changed them all num lock turns off every time i log in. why doesn't microsoft listen to the bios setting, or...
  3. num lock

num lock: My num lock and the number keys on the far right of the keyboard do not work while on the internet. They work normally if not. I can not use the keys to include them in an email. Need some help. By the way the number keys on the top of the keyboard work in both formats....
  4. Num Lock

Num Lock: Why can't WINDOWS include a setting so that non-gamers can choose to have Num Lock permanently ON unless the keyboard key is depressed. I've tried several 'fixes' but none work and Num Lock comes up OFF every start-up and sometimes goes off randomly during normal use. My PC...
  5. Num lock key

Num lock key: Yesterday I turned off my pc and started it again a few minutes later, and now my num lock key is off upon opening. How do I change the default to be "on" ?...
  6. Num Lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Num Lock: When I restart my computer the num lock is disabled. How do I keep it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_8/num-lock/e59ee399-5c71-4de8-8f07-44744b9ee600
  7. Num Lock Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num Lock Issue: Had to join Office 365 community, which uses Microsoft account.....blah, blah. The account is in my husband's name. When I logged in using his account, my settings were changed to his settings. He NEVER uses the numeric keypad for numbers; I almost always do. However, now...
  8. Num lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num lock: How do I get NUM LOCK OFF recognized for numbers to print? Characters will not register. 61221
  9. How can I make the num lock stay on?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I make the num lock stay on?: Whenever I boot up the num lock is off. I would like for it to stay on. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks in advance. 11465
  10. Num Lock

in Windows 10 Support
    Num Lock: When I had Windows 7 installed on this same computer there was a place to set Num Lock to be on when computer boots up. I cannot find the setting for this on Windows 10. Simple problem, hope simple answer. Thanks 77349