Windows 10: Num lock

Discus and support Num lock in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; bios numlock is on, registry in default user is set to 2 as well as specific users, as they look date formatted i dont think it matters, but they were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bbrwfk, Feb 25, 2021.

1. bbrwfk Win User

Num lock

bios numlock is on, registry in default user is set to 2 as well as specific users, as they look date formatted i dont think it matters, but they were all 0 so i changed them all

num lock turns off every time i log in.

why doesn't microsoft listen to the bios setting, or wait until it was turned off by hand? why is this so hard? why is this a registry setting and not something more on the face.

this only started happening in the last couple of months. ill figure it was some update that broke this functionality

:)

bbrwfk, Feb 25, 2021
  2. Kris Ver Win User

NUM Lock issue

Hi Karl,

The status of the NUM LOCK key is specific for each user, and NUM LOCK is disabled by default. If you want the NUM LOCK key enabled for use before a user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL to log on, you must use Registry Editor to change the default behavior.

To enable NUM LOCK before a user logs on, follow these steps:

• Run Registry Editor.
    • Move to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard.
    • Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

IMPORTANT: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article
    in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: How to back up and restore the registry in Window.

Kindly update us with the result.

Kris Ver, Feb 25, 2021
  3. Num Lock issue on Windows 10

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the Num Lock on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

You may plug in an external keyboard to the PC to check if the Num Lock issue reoccurs. You may also want to use the on-screen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Feb 25, 2021
  4. Num lock

num lock

Hello,

Some of the factors why you're Num Lock button keeps on beeping and numbers are not working is due to hardware or corrupted drivers. We suggest that you run the Hardware and Device troubleshooter. Follow these steps to troubleshoot your concern:

1. Press Windows key + X > Choose
    Control Panel.

2. Click the drop-down menu beside View by: > Select
    Troubleshooting

3. Go to Hardware and Sound > Hardware and Devices.

4. Follow the on screen instructions.

Let us know what happens after following the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Regile Reb, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

Num lock

1. Num lock - Similar Threads - Num lock

2. Problem in Num Lock in Lenovo IdeaPad 3 17ABA7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem in Num Lock in Lenovo IdeaPad 3 17ABA7: I have a IdeaPad 3 17ABA7. Num Lock in On and i cannot type numbers, Arithmetic keyboard does not inout numbers. Coukd you please me help me?Thank yoy in advamce...
  3. Problem in Num Lock in Lenovo IdeaPad 3 17ABA7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem in Num Lock in Lenovo IdeaPad 3 17ABA7: I have a IdeaPad 3 17ABA7. Num Lock in On and i cannot type numbers, Arithmetic keyboard does not inout numbers. Coukd you please me help me?Thank yoy in advamce...
  4. Followup on question, "how do I turn off notification?" Titled, "Stop Num Lock On...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Followup on question, "how do I turn off notification?" Titled, "Stop Num Lock On...: The original description was, "After I reinstalled Windows 11 on my Surface Go3 I3, i get a Num Lock On notification whenever I type using the key pad of my Logitech MX5500. How do I turn off notification?"I tried Logi Options+, which is a nice application, but was unable...
  5. Followup on question, "how do I turn off notification?" Titled, "Stop Num Lock On...

Followup on question, "how do I turn off notification?" Titled, "Stop Num Lock On...: The original description was, "After I reinstalled Windows 11 on my Surface Go3 I3, i get a Num Lock On notification whenever I type using the key pad of my Logitech MX5500. How do I turn off notification?"I tried Logi Options+, which is a nice application, but was unable...
  6. Windows 11. Num Lock turns off when switching users. It is not the BIOS or Hardware....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11. Num Lock turns off when switching users. It is not the BIOS or Hardware....: I've personally placed into production over 20 Dell Windows 11 machines in the past 6 months. Optiplex. XPS. Laptops. All exhibit the same behaviour. When switching users from a standard user to an admin account for installation purposes the NUMLOCK key goes off. It is not...
  7. Windows 11. Num Lock turns off when switching users. It is not the BIOS or Hardware....

Windows 11. Num Lock turns off when switching users. It is not the BIOS or Hardware....: I've personally placed into production over 20 Dell Windows 11 machines in the past 6 months. Optiplex. XPS. Laptops. All exhibit the same behaviour. When switching users from a standard user to an admin account for installation purposes the NUMLOCK key goes off. It is not...
  8. Num lock key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  9. Num lock key not working

Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  10. Num Lock disabled once Windows completes booting up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Num Lock disabled once Windows completes booting up: Hi,I have enabled num lock in BIOS. During the boot process, I can see the LED indicating num lock is on, until Windows completes booting and present the log on screen. Now the LED is off.Regedit showedHKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\KeyboardInitialKeyboardIndicators =...