Windows 10: Numbers lock off when restarting

Discus and support Numbers lock off when restarting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After upgrading my Windows 8.1 system to to Windows10 , when I restart or turn on my computer the numbers lock key is not turned on. This may sound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MNMary, Aug 27, 2015.

1. MNMary Win User

Numbers lock off when restarting

After upgrading my Windows 8.1 system to to Windows10 , when I restart or turn on my computer the numbers lock key is not turned on. This may sound trivial, but if I forget about it, my passwords won't work because many of the passwords contain numbers. Is there a way for me to keep the numbers lock key on when my computer restarts?
    Thanks,
    Mary

:)

MNMary, Aug 27, 2015

2. Why does Win10 -10240 turn off num lock before loads pin screen?

The Numbers Lock has been turned on in my BIOS since W8.1.

It didn't always work in W8.1 (50% of the time) and in W10 it

works about 5% of the time. I even turned numbers lock off in

BIOS, restart, turn back on, restart and that didn't resolve anything either.

For at least the past 2 weeks I turned on the computer and the

numbers lock was off, this morning it turned on. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Very aggravating.

StormyKnight007, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Hugo 12 Win User
    How to always boot with num lock on in win 10?

First, my number lock is always on at shutdown and it never is on when I restart. Your first statement is simply wrong for windows 10.

Second, he wants the number lock always on, so why would you give him instructions to turn it off.

Did you read the question?

Hugo 12, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

I haven't found a way yet. I just press the Num Lock key to take me to the password/PIN screen, pretty much solved my problem.

Boozad, Aug 27, 2015
  5. MNMary Win User
    Doesn't happen on the desktop computer I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, just on the laptop I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

MNMary, Aug 27, 2015
  6. i'm sure there is a program for this, but have you by chance checked your bios? usually that sort of setting is set within the bios on boot.

vladthedog, Aug 27, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Check in your BIOS for the num lock setting... like @vladthedog said.

Cliff S, Aug 27, 2015
  8. AddRAM Win User

If the num lock was already enabled in the bios, then it should still be enabled, Windows 10 shouldn`t have changed that, but it won`t hurt to check.

AddRAM, Aug 27, 2015
  9. MNMary Win User
    Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I do that?
    Mary

MNMary, Aug 28, 2015
  10. depends on your model/brand of computer, but oftentimes when you first turn it on, it will tell you to "press XXX to enter setup/bios" or something like that.

vladthedog, Aug 28, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
  12. brummyfan Win User
    Could you tell us the make and model of your laptop, Advanced settings are disabled in most of the laptops.

brummyfan, Aug 28, 2015
  13. Numbers lock off when restarting

there many posts on this subject of the NumLock getting turned off when shutting down or resarting the pc .... this is a workable solution at least for my hp laptop goes....

right click start button
    or press windows key + x key at same time
    select run
    type regedit press enter
    navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control_Panel\KeyBoard\
    right click on InitialKeyboardIndicators and select modify highlite the string of numbers or number and put a 2 click okay
    navigate to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control_Panel\KeyBoard
    right click InitialKeyboardIndicators select Modify then instead of placing just a 2 put this in it 2147483650
    Microsoft has basically the same string of number 2147483648 just change the 48 in the set to 50
    do this for the other users as well
    I hope this makes sense.... I got this work around by calling Microsoft directly

icpwolverine, Aug 28, 2015
  14. MNMary Win User
    I have Dell Inspiron 15R laptop.
    Before I upgraded to Windows 10 it ran on Windows 8.1 and the number lock key always was on.

MNMary, Aug 28, 2015
  15. Mine did this also no matter what the bios said. The above work around works perfect.

stealth2920, Aug 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Numbers lock off when restarting - Similar Threads - Numbers lock off

2. Number lock on and off sign blurs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number lock on and off sign blurs: Hello,All of sudden, the on and off sign of the Number Lock toggle key shows blurry images. Please see the attached image and let me know what it could potentially cause this. This is Windows 11 on LG Gram 17 2021 model. Thank you....
  3. Number lock on and off sign blurs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Number lock on and off sign blurs: Hello,All of sudden, the on and off sign of the Number Lock toggle key shows blurry images. Please see the attached image and let me know what it could potentially cause this. This is Windows 11 on LG Gram 17 2021 model. Thank you....
  4. number lock toggles on and off all day long.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    number lock toggles on and off all day long.: I'm using windows 10 and my number lock toggles on and off all day long. What is causing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-lock-toggles-on-and-off-all-day-long/c01606c4-08bf-47c9-bc7a-6f128f6c558a
  5. number lock toggles on and off all day long.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    number lock toggles on and off all day long.: I'm using windows 10 and my number lock toggles on and off all day long. What is causing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-lock-toggles-on-and-off-all-day-long/c01606c4-08bf-47c9-bc7a-6f128f6c558a
  6. HP Laptop Number Lock key turns off

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Laptop Number Lock key turns off: This problem has plagued all computers that have the windows 10 and it's various versions numbers. It is not a startup problem. Never has been for me and probably never will. But for the life of the devil that possess my computers the num lock key just randomly decides to...
  7. the Number lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    the Number lock: My computer keeps turning off the number lock during startup or restart and after an update. How can I fix that? is there a way to use command Prompt to keep it turned on all the time?...
  8. Number Lock always turned off after restarting

Number Lock always turned off after restarting: Whenever I start up my laptop or close it the my 10 key number pad defaults to the directional buttons (page up, page down, etc.) I only use the keypad for entering numbers so I constantly have to push the number lock button to change it. Is there a way to set the keypad to...
  9. Number lock

in Windows 10 Support
    Number lock: Ever since I got my new computer hard drive and the most current Windows 10, my number lock key on keyboard's right panel defaults to scroll lock after each boot up. I'd like it to default to number lock, as that's the only way I use these number keys, and often, so would be...
  10. Number Lock

Number Lock: I have an HP Pavilion Laptop. It's a Core i5 with 64bit Operating System. CPU 2.30GHz Windows 10 I have had various niggly little things go wrong after Window/Microsoft updates. 1. I seem to have found a solution to this one only. On the F6 key there's a little LED...