Windows 10: Numeric Keyboard start up

Discus and support Numeric Keyboard start up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since last updates, two problems have occurred with Windows 10 on my laptop. 1. Numeric keyboard always opens now with 'num lock' not working.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LynneW, Jul 28, 2017.

1. LynneW Win User

Numeric Keyboard start up

Since last updates, two problems have occurred with Windows 10 on my laptop.

1. Numeric keyboard always opens now with 'num lock' not working. Before I wouldn't have to do anything, now I have to press it to get numbers to type

2. Random freezing while using Facebook.

:)

LynneW, Jul 28, 2017

2. Start up with numeric keyboard disabled after windows anniversary update

After readin through miles of posts and finally understanding I had to set a registry key to ......50 instaed of ....48 AND disable quick boot I finally got the numeric keypad to be enable systematically at boot.

For me, it saves a lot of time and irritation as I can sign on with a short code.

For my dad who is 86, without this he JUST CAN'T LOG IN AT ALL since he forgets how to do the num lock.

With the anniversary update the key is reset to ..... 48

And the registry editor won't let me modify any mor, it just hangs.

And finding the disable fast boot is impossible.

This overwriting of registry and bug in the registry IS VERY VERY ANNOYING.

Q1: When will microsoft mak ne regression upgrade

Q2: When will microsoft care about elderly people or neophytes

Q3: Can I still apply the old fix and how, since the reged won't work ?

Q4: Perhaps the fast boot BUG was fixed in the anniversary edition, was it ?

Best regards,

Ragnar Moller, Jul 28, 2017
  3. Start up with numeric keyboard disabled after windows anniversary update

I was able, with many retries, to apply the old solution:

- There is still no menu to make the choice

- The fast boot hasn't been fixed

- Win annivcersary, aftyer an update still has the problem of very slow text inpu.

Ragnar

Ragnar Moller, Jul 28, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Hi and welcome

This isn't an issue with 10 per se, its been going on since 7. Have you tried looking at your bios, there's usually an option to enable numlock there.

swarfega, Jul 28, 2017
  5. LynneW Win User
    Thanks for your reply. No I haven't looked in my bios, I wouldn't know where to look even, My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10 about 15 months ago. It's never happened before and is becoming a right pain, as most of my passwords have numerical letters in them and I can be merrily typing away, when I find the numbers aren't showing up.

Where do I find the bios please?

LynneW, Jul 28, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    There is or has been a Registry entry one could make that generally allowed having the keyboard to work at startup but my experience is that it only retains the status at shutdown/reboot, or in other words if the numlock was On at shutdown/reboot it would be On at startup, if Off it would come back as Off. It seems to me Win10 takes control of the numlock regardless of what the BIOS setting is. That 'control' is not a problem if the keyboard is like on a large number of Notebooks and Tablets that don't have the keypad, maybe that's part of the reason for its action and the change of Win8 leading into touchscreen use on handheld devices.

Berton, Jul 28, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    Unfortunately most BIOSs are different. Mine might be in a different place from yours. Its a question of going through it. It should be near the beginning and mention numlock.

swarfega, Jul 28, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

@LynneW

If the above suggestions do not work for you, try this registry mod. I've been using it for some time with all Win 10 versions.

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard] "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2" "KeyboardDelay"="1" "KeyboardSpeed"="31"[/quote] Force Num Lock On.reg

f14tomcat, Jul 29, 2017
  9. LynneW Win User
    Thanks for that info, I think I will have to take it to someone who is au fait with the Registry. I am too much of a beginner. Or I can always leave the num lock as it is.... annoying. LOL

I was just asking on here for a quick fix but it looks like there isn't one which I would term as easy for me.

LynneW, Jul 29, 2017
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    All you had to do was download that link f14tomcat gave you, then just click on it after you download the file, and it will put the commands in your registry for you. *Smile Real Easy.
    If Windows gives your a warning msg, ignore it, as this is normal for Windows to show.

OldMike65, Jul 29, 2017
  11. LynneW Win User
    It's all solved but I don't know how. But thank you everybody for your help.

LynneW, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Numeric Keyboard start up - Similar Threads - Numeric Keyboard start

2. Keyboard doesnt start up with the computer on start up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard doesnt start up with the computer on start up.: My keyboard doesnt turn on when my PC does. It does work fine when it comes from sleep mode instead of a full restart.When i unplug the USB to reconnect it often gives me a connect sound and then a disconnect sound. i retry this with different USB ports until it works.My...
  3. Keyboard doesnt start up with the computer on start up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard doesnt start up with the computer on start up.: My keyboard doesnt turn on when my PC does. It does work fine when it comes from sleep mode instead of a full restart.When i unplug the USB to reconnect it often gives me a connect sound and then a disconnect sound. i retry this with different USB ports until it works.My...
  4. Sculpt keyboard, Numeric keyboard doesn't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sculpt keyboard, Numeric keyboard doesn't work: I have a Sculpt Keyboard, main keyboard and mouse are working normal, but numeric keyboard doesn't. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sculpt-keyboard-numeric-keyboard-doesnt-work/df57ba8e-8823-4cae-8889-c72be18376da
  5. USB numeric keyboard

USB numeric keyboard: The num lock on the auxiliary numeric key board locks the alpha keyboard as well. Impossible to use on spreadsheet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-numeric-keyboard/fa3a5b27-75ef-408e-b84b-a6fa6f0e2b8b
  6. Del key on numeric keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Del key on numeric keyboard: I have a new HP laptop using Windows 10. When using the numeric keyboard I keep on getting a full stop when trying to use the del key. Can someone help me fix this? Thanks Claire McDevitt...
  7. numeric keyboard error

numeric keyboard error: since two weeks numeric keyboard showing error, when I type 7 it is type 79, also other numbers work same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/numeric-keyboard-error/773ec80e-118d-4e32-b69b-9a57f05264c6
  8. Keyboard Numeric Pad

Keyboard Numeric Pad: Numeric Key Pad does not work for Numbers and that is true for 5 different Keyboards attempted. Some Wireless and some tethered. Must be a Win 10 glitch. Any Solutions?...
  9. numeric keypad active on start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    numeric keypad active on start up: Is it possible to make Windows 10 start up with the keypad active as a KEYPAD, not as a cursor control? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/numeric-keypad-active-on-start-up/ac96edbf-2349-4b84-a4ec-d283362071a0
  10. Numeric lock on HP keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Numeric lock on HP keyboard: since I installed windows 10, every time I power-OFF, the number lock closes. That did not happen with Windows 7. At first, I activated the Num Lock every time I booted. Now, even when the Num Lock light is ON, the number pad is inactive. I wish to have the Num lock ON at all...