Windows 10: Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

Discus and support Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums: Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ARYLIOA, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ARYLIOA Win User

Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums:

Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Curious, I decided to give it a go on W10 even though this computer did not have the full key in the registry. I was not especially brave since I had saved a full image this morning. (You do have to reboot between changes for them to take effect.)

I created 8 files numbered 01, 1, 02, 2, 4, 15, 25, and 45. Then I downloaded the .reg files from that web site and applied them to see what happens. It appears W10 changed the default. It also appears the changes are still valid choices.

Anyway, W10 default is definitely with numeric sort enabled. As I created them, they came out in 01, 1, 02, 2, 4, 15, 25, and 45. (I don't know if the leading 0 is disregarded completely and might sort differently at some times, but they are in true numeric sequence since lead 0s should be disregarded.)

I ran the one to enable them first since disabled was the W7 default, and nothing changed. That reinforced that the defaults have been switched.

Then I ran the one to disable the numeric sort and the sequence changed to 01, 02, 1, 15, 2, 25, 4, 45. Basically straight ASCII collating sequence, not the numeric sequence Windows provides.

Anyway, I thought someone might be interested, and perhaps the equivalent information could be added to the Tutorials for W10 (reversing the default spec).

(edited to clean up mixed fonts)

:)

ARYLIOA, Aug 15, 2016

2. organise favorites

hi jesrael,

thanks for your response.

found the favourites folder, which is a file explorer folder

within users->me>favourites sorted by name or date, au choix.

tweaked this by changing the names of the folders to start with 01,02 etc. to sequence them.

closed IE

opened IE and checked the favourites icon

my changes were there, but at the bottom of the list, which appears to be sorted by date modified

the file explorer folder is correctly sorted by name.

what am I (not) doing correctly?

cheers,

wolf

wolfram klewe, Aug 15, 2016
  3. thejohnz Win User
    Explorer saved searches default to Content View/Descending Order in spite of being saved as Xtra Large Icon/Name (Ascending)

Still no answers - and this is definitely a Windows bug which seems to have existed for a long time...

1) I define a search in File Explorer. The files originally appear in a default Layout/Sort-By sequence.

2) I re-order the Sorting sequence to Name/Ascending and change the Layout to Xtra Large Icons.

3) I save the result to a (brand new file-name) search-ms file.

4) Opening that search-ms file in Notepad++ I see, for instance, the correct Sort-By instruction :

<sortList><sort viewField="System.ItemNameDisplay" direction="ascending"/></sortList>

5) I run the search but it still displays in the original/default Layout/Sort-By sequence - not the one I gave it.

I have now established the following:

If I re-sort/display for a second time AND OVERWRITE THE SEARCH-MS file my new layout will "stick. Any changes made from then on and overwritten to the search-ms file will "stick.

Every time I write to a new file-name I end up at #5 instead.

If I re-name a file after I have fixed it it reverts back to #5.

If I select the search-ms file via a second search (ie if I look for all the search-ms files with 2017 in their name) it runs as per #5 - but if I run it directly from within its folder in File Explorer it continues to display correctly.

The Fix:

Either:

a) Tell me how to change File Explorer's default Sort/Display to Name/Ascending and change the Layout to Xtra Large Icons within the Registry.

b) Fix File Explorer so that it actually uses the Sort/Display instructions held as text within the search-ms file.

c) Fix the error in the file write to ensure that the FIRST search works.

Thanks

thejohnz, Aug 15, 2016
Thema:

Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

1. Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence - Similar Threads - Numerical Sorting File

2. Is there a way to change the sort order from numeric to character in Windows 11 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to change the sort order from numeric to character in Windows 11 File Explorer: I have a folder where I store electronic copies of downloaded issues of Scientific American. The file names are like 2022_01.pdf, 2022_02.pdf, etc. but they used not to include the underscore, so I have 201911.pdf, 201912.pdf and 202001.pdf before the underscore was...
  3. Is there a way to change the sort order from numeric to character in Windows 11 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to change the sort order from numeric to character in Windows 11 File Explorer: I have a folder where I store electronic copies of downloaded issues of Scientific American. The file names are like 2022_01.pdf, 2022_02.pdf, etc. but they used not to include the underscore, so I have 201911.pdf, 201912.pdf and 202001.pdf before the underscore was...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting: Windows 10 Pro - Version 1903 Numerical sorting is turned on in group policy editor. Files are not sorting correctly. Decimal numbers are listed after whole numbers. Folders are sorting correctly. Number lists in Microsoft Office 2013 Word & Excel sort correctly. What could...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting: Windows 10 Pro - Version 1903 Numerical sorting is turned on in group policy editor. Files are not sorting correctly. Decimal numbers are listed after whole numbers. Folders are sorting correctly. Number lists in Microsoft Office 2013 Word & Excel sort correctly. What could...
  6. Sorting files and folders numerically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting files and folders numerically: Hi, I want to sort the files and folders numerically on my Windows 10 OS. If i give the name '01.Abc' to a .doc and '02.Edf' to a folder then the folder is showing first and the doc as second in order. Please refer the screenshot. I want '01.Abc' shown first and '02.Edf'...
  7. How to enable or disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer: [ATTACH] The Windows File Explorer is the near-perfect example of how a File Management software should be. I know many people are demanding for a UWP or Universal Windows Platform version of the same, but actually, the Windows Classic app for [...] This post How to enable...
  8. EXCEL sort sequence

in Microsoft Office and 365
    EXCEL sort sequence: Hi there I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc. Is there a way to store for example "The Day the earth Stood Still - 1951" in D ignoring the word "THE" in the sort sequence if it's the first word of the film title. I...
  9. Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence: Hi there when browsing through tagged music files Windows seems to come up with the WRONG sort sequence For example if I'm browsing Mozart Mozart symphonies /CD 1 Mozart symphonies /CD 10 ------- /CD 14 Mozart symphonies /CD 2 Mozart symphonies /CD 3 What I...
  10. Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information Numerical sorting in File Explorer is enabled by default in Windows 10. When numerical sorting is...