Windows 10: Numerous issues with apps and default programs after Windows 10 Build 1809 (Oct Update)

Discus and support Numerous issues with apps and default programs after Windows 10 Build 1809 (Oct Update) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just updated to Windows 10 Build 1809 via Update Assistant. Problems I've encountered: All of my tiles in the Start Menu have been set to default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bw1101, Dec 17, 2018.

1. bw1101 Win User

Numerous issues with apps and default programs after Windows 10 Build 1809 (Oct Update)

Just updated to Windows 10 Build 1809 via Update Assistant.

Problems I've encountered:

1. All of my tiles in the Start Menu have been set to default
    2. Opening links inside Windows Settings prompts "Select an app to open.." with no apps in the list
    3. My calculator app crashes upon start
    4. Setting apps as default crashes Windows Settings

I've tried: A few Windows troubleshoot tools, re-instantiating Windows Store apps, reset apps, resetting defaults.

Aside from these, I haven't found any other issues. At least my files didn't get deleted, right?

Any tips?

:)

bw1101, Dec 17, 2018
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Numerous issues with apps and default programs after Windows 10 Build 1809 (Oct Update) :(

puma99dk|, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Default Photo issue

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for your update.

We suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Go to control panel.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Click on Microsoft Picture Viewer and set it to default.
    • Check if the issue is resolved.

Keep us posted if you have any issue with Windows, we are happy to assist you.

Deepak..Raghav, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Numerous issues with apps and default programs after Windows 10 Build 1809 (Oct Update)

Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the default apps on your computer, let us try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the default apps for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Numerous issues with apps and default programs after Windows 10 Build 1809 (Oct Update)

1. Numerous issues with apps and default programs after Windows 10 Build 1809 (Oct Update) - Similar Threads - Numerous issues apps

2. After latest update numerous windows apps not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    After latest update numerous windows apps not working: After a windows update the following apps aren't working Microsoft Store Onenote for Windows 10 Photos And more that I don't really use Chrome and other apps that are not microsoft related still work....
  3. Oct 18 Update V 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Oct 18 Update V 1809: I still haven't received this update. Should I be concerned? 132807
  4. windows 10 1809 os Build 17763.404 windows 10 default apps not saving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 1809 os Build 17763.404 windows 10 default apps not saving: Hi, When I try to set a new "Default App" for a certain file type or protocol (eg: .txt,.Jpg, files) to be opened in, Windows does not save the setting and keeps resetting it to the system default. I have tried multiple ways of applying the new settings: Right click the...
  5. Sound issue After Windows 10 Update 1809

Sound issue After Windows 10 Update 1809: After the Windows update I had no audio. I can get the audio to work by running the audio troubleshooter and then rebooting. However, I have to do this each time I start up the computer. How do I get the Troubleshooter "fix" to be permanent?...
  6. Issue logging into Microsoft store and Xbox app on windows 10 build 1809

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Issue logging into Microsoft store and Xbox app on windows 10 build 1809: I just did a fresh install of windows 10 - 64 bit onto a custom built computer with a samsung SSD. When i try to log onto the Microsoft store or the Xbox app I get two separate errors. With the Microsoft store, it throws the "We've encountered an error. Please try signing in...
  7. Windows Update Error After upgrading Windows 10 to Build 1809

Windows Update Error After upgrading Windows 10 to Build 1809: Hi, Recently I updated my Windows 10 to Build 1809 October Fall Creators Update in month of November after re-release of update package. But since then I am not able to check updates on TATA Photon Internet connection. The Windows Update says "Not connected to...
  8. Windows 10 ver. 1809 Default Programs issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 ver. 1809 Default Programs issue: I recently refreshed my PC (meaning I reinstalled windows without affecting my files) and since the refresh, setting default programs to open certain files has not been working. When I set something, say .zip files, to be opened by 7zip I right click, select open with, select...
  9. oct 2018 redstone, 1809 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    oct 2018 redstone, 1809 update: I really don't want to be forced to update, when just 2 days ago there were still major flaws. how can I avoid?just put to sleep, instead of shutting down? thanks...
  10. win update 1809 oct 2018

win update 1809 oct 2018: unable to upgrade on surface pro 5 from 1803 to 1809 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/win-update-1809-oct-2018/0c5b5099-cdeb-419a-adcc-be3a83bc145a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. An App Default Was Reset windows build 1809

2. windows 10 1809 settings crashing when setting default programs

3. programs are not working correctly after windows 10 build 1809 update