Windows 10: Numerous recovery partitions after a few formats and installations

Discus and support Numerous recovery partitions after a few formats and installations in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Since I got my laptop I messed around with it quite a bit. As a result, I have way too many recovery partitions. How do I know which ones are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GbeTech, Jan 1, 2017.

1. GbeTech Win User

Numerous recovery partitions after a few formats and installations

Hi,
    Since I got my laptop I messed around with it quite a bit. As a result, I have way too many recovery partitions.

How do I know which ones are relevant? And which ones can be deleted safely?

*If that's the only option, I'm OK with just wiping absolutely everything and reinstalling with factory settings.

Thanks a lot.

:)

GbeTech, Jan 1, 2017
  2. Geethu B Win User

Unable to use 11.6GB recovery partition on my new Alienware

Hi Sagar,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• How exactly are you trying to create recovery image?
    • Was Windows 10 pre-installed on the computer when you purchased it?

The recovery partitions are created by the OEM when you purchase Windows preinstalled with the computer. The partition was created to recover Windows if needed. The recovery partition is installed to rollback the computer to factory settings.

Did you get any recovery disk with your computer when you bought it with Windows?

If yes, then you may format the recovery partition and use the recovery disk in case you need to recover Windows. The formatted partition will provide you with extra storage on your computer.
    You may also consider formatting the recovery partition if you do not plan to reinstall Windows on your computer.

You may have to format the Recovery Partition before using it.
    Right-click
    on the recovery partition and click on
    Format

Warning: Formatting a volume will destroy any data on the partition. You won't be able to perform Factory Reset or Recover Windows using Recovery Partition after formatting it.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jan 1, 2017
  3. DH824 Win User
    windows 10 reinstall after upgrade disk format issuewhen attempting to reinstall windows 10 error message "cannot install on this partition, this partition is GPT format

Tring to reinstall Wndows 10pro on a HP laptop after a complete reset due to issues with the update and .net framework prevented installing software. Laptop was Windows7 originally then upgraded to W 8.1Pro then to W10Pro. No bootable OS recognized on
    startup. Created a usb drive with W10Pro for reinstall

and get stuck at partitions page with no partition available for install. Error message "Cannot install Windows on this partition. This partition is GBT format" on several. Or partitions are reserved or recovery partition. Attempted adding new and formatting
    but will not format to NTSF. Any guidance will be much appreciated Thanks

DH824, Jan 1, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The standard recovery partition that Windows 10 creates is 450 MB in size which I don't even see on your drive so it looks like all of those must be manufacturer specific. You can more than likely delete all of them and the only thing that will be affected is your ability to do a factory reset back to the original full factory load of software. You can see which partition Windows will use for the troubleshooting menu by opening a command prompt (admin) and running:

reagentc /info

Be careful, though because there is a hidden MSR partition in there that does not show up in disk management, so you actually have to use either MiniTool Partition Wizard to see actual partition numbers or the diskpart command in a command prompt (admin) window. See my example below.

The WindowsRE location is the partition that Windows uses for the troubleshooting menu. The image location is the partition will load a custom image from during a reset and may not be present. My image location is set to a Windows 10 image contained on the second hard drive on my computer - notice it is on harddisk1 and not harddisk0.

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0 Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: JOHN-LAPTOP DISKPART> select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> list part Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 System 100 MB 451 MB Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 551 MB Partition 4 Primary 446 GB 567 MB DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /info Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration Information: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: fcaab811-8717-11e6-843d-aa73efa5da58 Recovery image location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition3\Sources Recovery image index: 1 Custom image location: Custom image index: 0 REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.[/quote]

NavyLCDR, Jan 1, 2017
  5. GbeTech Win User
    Hey, thanks a lot.

Numerous recovery partitions after a few formats and installations [​IMG]

I tried to color code to make it clearer.
    What confuses me the most, is:

- What's the use of the green "System" partition given the big C one is also system? "EFI"?
    - Is it possible to re-create the red Lenovo partition when resetting the PC?
    - The light blue "OEM Partition"?

Thanks for clarifying.

GbeTech, Jan 1, 2017
  6. Avocado Win User
    SOURCE: Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 Partition Cleanup

Partition 1 - Recovery (WINRE_DRV) - 1000MB
    • Windows RE bootable (for Recovery Mode)
    • Used when booting into Windows Recovery (Win RE) environment

Partition 2 - System (SYSTEM_DRV) - 260MB
    • System UEFI bootable (EFI/Windows boot menu)
    • UEFI boots this partition, it contains Windows NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and some drivers (Windows will not boot without this)

Partition 3 - OEM (LRS_ESP) - 1000MB
    • Lenovo Recovery System (EFI bootable)
    • Lenovo One Key Recovery (OKR) button boots into this partition, which allows to do factory restore

Partition 4 - Reserved (MSR) - 128MB
    • Reserved Microsoft partition for GPT-based disks
    • Must exist and must be 128MB, used by Windows when moving/changing partitions through Disk Manager

Partition 5 - Primary (Windows8_OS) - 218GB
    • Main C: drive - contains Windows, installed programs, etc

Partition 6 - Primary (LENOVO) - 4GB
    • Lenovo D: drive - contains mainly drivers and installers for some bundled apps

Partition 7 - Recovery (PBR_DRV) - 13GB
    • Lenovo factory reset image
    • Used by One Key Recovery system to reset laptop to factory condition

Avocado, Jan 1, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    There you go...looks like the explanation @Avocado provided and the article linked to is about the best info there is!

NavyLCDR, Jan 1, 2017
  8. GbeTech Win User

Thank you, NavyLCDR and Avocado. Extremely helpful. In recovery through a USB stick, I ended up using "clear" while in select disk 0 -> list partition, then renewing the uniform unallocated space. Windows automatically created the necessary partitions.

GbeTech, Jan 1, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's the best way to do a clean install!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Numerous recovery partitions after a few formats and installations - Similar Threads - Numerous recovery partitions

2. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition: I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because my pc become unusable like, "System Service Exception BSOD " Too many errors on event viewer. And I got this problem that I cannot explain. english is not my first language First thing I do when I notice this problem is when I...
  3. Hard disk partition formatted accidently for few seconds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard disk partition formatted accidently for few seconds: I was trying to format my pen drive but accidently formatting started for my 4TB Seagate external hard disk. I did formatting in ubuntu machine using terminal commands. Now external hard disk is undetected in both win and ubuntu. I feel partition is corrupted and system is...
  4. Recovery Partition after Reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recovery Partition after Reset: I worked for a company that had me add software to my computer which locked me out of making changes to my browser. After several days on the phone with support, I decided to reset my computer. After the reset, I now have to choose between Windows 10 and a recovery...
  5. Problem Setting Recovery Partition after Moving Partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem Setting Recovery Partition after Moving Partitions: I just used Partition Magic to reconfigure my partitions as shown below: [img] The 925GB recovery partition is no longer recognised - see the reagentc reconfiguration command below: C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /setreimage /path...
  6. Formatting a partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting a partition: Before doing this I want to be 100% certain I am not formatting the entire C: drive. In Disk Management if I format a partition that had the recovery files will the rest of the hard drive be left alone? 128708
  7. Numerous Partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Numerous Partitions: Hi - I am new to this forum so I hope I am putting this question in the right section. I have upgraded to Windows 10 pro from Windows 8.1 pro. Going into Disk Management I have found numerous partitions. I have no idea what they are and if they are needed. I really don't...
  8. 2 bsod in a few hours after formating pc and installing everything -

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    2 bsod in a few hours after formating pc and installing everything -: Hello. Just finished installing windows 10 and all my drivers and software an hour ago . I had 2 bsod . both times the error was CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION i will upload the dump . Thanks. 73265
  9. Two Recovery Partitions after installing 10586.3?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Two Recovery Partitions after installing 10586.3?: After finishing the installation of the Threshold 2 update 10586.3, I seem to have grown an additional Recovery Partition. How many of these do I need? Will the excess one be deleted along with Windows.old after thirty days (or if I run Cleanmgr earlier)? Thanks...
  10. format partition before installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    format partition before installation: Hi there, I did a clean install of windows 10 (previously i had windows 7 64 bit) and when asked me where to install windows 10 there were the options 1) the partition where i had windows 7 110 gb ssd and 2) system reserved ~100 mb. I want to know if there is a problem or...