Windows 10: NumLock: Always OFF? (or Always ON?) - Yet another request for an answer

Discus and support NumLock: Always OFF? (or Always ON?) - Yet another request for an answer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Running this '.reg' file: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout] "Scancode... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarkFilipak.Windows, Dec 10, 2018.

1. NumLock: Always OFF? (or Always ON?) - Yet another request for an answer

Running this '.reg' file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
    "Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,45,00,00,00,00,00

disables NumLock so that accidentally pressing the NumLock key has no effect (that is, if NumLock is ON, it will stay ON, even if you press the key; or if NumLock is OFF, it will stay OFF, even if you press the key).

Note to those who want to do this: Paste the code above into a plain text editor (like Notepad) and save it as a '.reg' file (e.g., blah_blah_blah.reg). Make sure to save it as an ANSI encoded text file. If you really want to save it as a Unicode (aka UTF-16) text file, you can, but be sure it has a UTF-16 Byte Order Mark (BOM). Otherwise, running it later could corrupt your Windows Registry. If you don't know what a UTF-16 BOM is, then you probably don't want to save the code above as Unicode. You have been warned!

Also, if your registry already has a "Scancode Map" key, you need to learn how to add to the map without destroying the current map. That is beyond the scope of this topic. See this: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-caps-lock-key-in-windows-vista/.

Okay. So far so good. The code above prevents accidentally toggling the keypad's NumLock state.

Now, How do I get Windows to start up with NumLock always OFF?

This question (or the opposite: How do I get Windows to start up with NumLock always ON?) have been asked hundreds of times. It has never been answered, and all of the topics have been locked (with "n Need answer" clearly indicating that it needs to be answered).

I run Win10-1803 build 10.0.17134.165. There is no setting to set start-up NumLock.

Warm Regards,

Mark.

:)

MarkFilipak.Windows, Dec 10, 2018
  2. Jackman33 Win User

Keyboard NUMLOCK

Just reloaded Windows 10 and I can't keep the NUMLOCK on. I have tried many suggestions. I have looked at the registry and it shows on and the bio shows it is on. Any suggestions?

Jackman33, Dec 10, 2018
  3. Windows10 - numlock not on at startup

Hi guys,

Trick was not really helpful.

After a logon, the NumLock key is now effectively on, but I need this before the logon.

My logon password has digits, and I would need the Numlock key to be «ON» at the logon process.

Is there another way to solve that ??

Thanks for your help.

Robert

RobertHenault, Dec 10, 2018
  4. NumLock: Always OFF? (or Always ON?) - Yet another request for an answer

Windows10 - numlock not on at startup

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

Please follow the steps below and check if it works fine:

Disable Fast Startup, to enable Num Lock. Follow the steps:

• Press Win + X and click on Control Panel
    • Click on Power Plan
    • Now click on Choose what the power buttons do on the left side panel
    • Now select Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down and uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) .

That’s it. Now after shutting down and reboot your NumLock should retain the last configuration.

Thank You.

Uttam Yadav, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

NumLock: Always OFF? (or Always ON?) - Yet another request for an answer

1. NumLock: Always OFF? (or Always ON?) - Yet another request for an answer - Similar Threads - NumLock Always OFF

2. cant turn on NumLock always auto toggle off PLEASE HELP FIX THIS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant turn on NumLock always auto toggle off PLEASE HELP FIX THIS: Hello For some time im dealing with the problem with my numlock i want it on and use the num keys on my right side keyboard,the problem : the i want to toggle the numlock on it has 3 actions :When i push the Num Lock key 1 It automaticly writes this "afjlk;d6fjlk;d"2 a window...
  3. cant turn on NumLock always auto toggle off PLEASE HELP FIX THIS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant turn on NumLock always auto toggle off PLEASE HELP FIX THIS: Hello For some time im dealing with the problem with my numlock i want it on and use the num keys on my right side keyboard,the problem : the i want to toggle the numlock on it has 3 actions :When i push the Num Lock key 1 It automaticly writes this "afjlk;d6fjlk;d"2 a window...
  4. cant turn on NumLock always auto toggle off PLEASE HELP FIX THIS

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Numlock is always lit, and some other keys not working!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Numlock is always lit, and some other keys not working!: Hi, I have tried many times but the ease of access doesn't work. My Numlock is always lit, the Num keys work, but the other features like Numlock light doesn't turn off/on, Insert, Delete, PgUp Home, PgDn End, Doesn't seem to work when I'm playing games like ArcheAge. I...
  6. Numlock is always lit, and some other keys not working!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Numlock is always lit, and some other keys not working!: Hi, I have tried many times but the ease of access doesn't work. My Numlock is always lit, the Num keys work, but the other features like Numlock light doesn't turn off/on, Insert, Delete, PgUp Home, PgDn End, Doesn't seem to work when I'm playing games like ArcheAge. I...
  7. Numlock is always lit, and some other keys not working!

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Is it possible to set the NumLock Key to an always on position?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it possible to set the NumLock Key to an always on position?: I want the NumLock key to be enable the numeric keypad always and then be disabled. It is quite a nuisance to turn the numeric keypad off when I am trying to hit the Backspace key. I do not care to understand why anyone would want the numeric keypad on their laptop to ever be...
  9. Antivirus always turned off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antivirus always turned off: Every time i boot up I get Comodo Antivirus/Firewall are turned off (Windows Defender too). Even though Comodo is up and running fine. [img] How do I fix this? Windos 10 Version 1903 151983
  10. Antivirus always turned off

in Windows 10 Support
    Antivirus always turned off: Every time i boot up I get Comodo Antivirus/Firewall are turned off (Windows Defender too). Even though Comodo is up and running fine. [img] How do I fix this? Windos 10 Version 1903 151983