Windows 10: NVIDIA driver blocking Safe Mode after 1903 update

Discus and support NVIDIA driver blocking Safe Mode after 1903 update in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; A few days ago, I updated both my laptop and desktop machines. The laptop was done with Windows Update Assistant and took about 3 hours. So far, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by TopGeek, Aug 5, 2019.

1. TopGeek Win User

NVIDIA driver blocking Safe Mode after 1903 update

A few days ago, I updated both my laptop and desktop machines. The laptop was done with Windows Update Assistant and took about 3 hours. So far, it seems like a faultless update.
    However the desktop PC was done with Windows Update, took over 8 hours and seemed successful until I tried to go into Safe Mode using Shift+Restart. After the second-level restart, all I got was a black screen. If I left that running for about 5 minutes, a normal sign-in screen would appear. The only way I found to enter Safe Mode was through Safe Boot in msconfig.
    I did a lot of research but could find nothing decribing this situation. Then I discovered, by accident, that the NVIDIA driver for my GT710 card had been installed and was apparently working fine. Previously, this driver has refused to install and I was obliged to use the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, which worked perfectly well for my non-gaming situation..
    I then wondered if, by any chance, the NVIDIA driver was at the root of the Safe Mode access problem so I uninstalled it and, sure enough, was able to get into Safe Mode with Shift+Restart. Of course, the NVIDIA driver reinstalls on reboot but I did try it a few times and confirmed that the NVIDIA driver is indeed blocking access to Safe Mode.
    Both sfc and DSIM say there are no system errors.
    It's a pity but I suppose the only answer is to switch back to the Microsoft driver - unless anyone has an alternative solution.

:)

TopGeek, Aug 5, 2019
  2. thephpdev Win User

NVIDIA Driver Install Fails

I managed to install the driver only, which is OK for me.

Running the setup.exe in Safe-Mode didn't work.

So, I followed these steps:

1. Restart into safe mode
    2. Open device manager
    3. Find your GPU and right-click it, then select "Update Driver Software"
    4. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"
    5. Tick "Include Sub-Folders"
    6. Navigate to the directory where the NVIDIA download extracted the setup files to, and click OK.
    7. If it was successful, restart normally, and enjoy using a proper graphics driver.

thephpdev, Aug 5, 2019
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 5, 2019
  4. NVIDIA driver blocking Safe Mode after 1903 update

Cannot update driver in Safe Mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

Did you try to update your driver in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking?

If you tried to update your driver in Safe Mode, the driver will not updated through Windows Updates or Intel device updater as you will not be connected to the internet in this mode.

I would suggest that you follow the method below and check if you are able to successfully update your graphic driver.

Uninstalling and Downloading driver.

• Right click on theStart Menu and select
      Device Manager.
    • Open Device Manager, double click to expand Display Adapter.
    • Right-click the device, and click Uninstall.
    • Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click
      OK
      to remove the driver.
    • After the uninstallation is complete, reboot your computer.
    • After you have successfully uninstalled the driver, visit the computer manufacturer’s website, download the Windows 10 driver for your computer and check.

Note: You can perform this method from your normal desktop mode.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

NVIDIA driver blocking Safe Mode after 1903 update

1. NVIDIA driver blocking Safe Mode after 1903 update - Similar Threads - NVIDIA driver blocking

2. Can’t install nvidia driver in safe mode anymore..please help me!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t install nvidia driver in safe mode anymore..please help me!!!!!!!: I have windows 11 pro. I installed a new ssd with the new os. I went to update my 3080ti drivers like I always do by getting the latest driver and ddu on my desktop, then I boot into safe mode and unhook my internet and delete my nvidia driver and choose not to restart after...
  3. Can’t install nvidia driver in safe mode anymore..please help me!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t install nvidia driver in safe mode anymore..please help me!!!!!!!: I have windows 11 pro. I installed a new ssd with the new os. I went to update my 3080ti drivers like I always do by getting the latest driver and ddu on my desktop, then I boot into safe mode and unhook my internet and delete my nvidia driver and choose not to restart after...
  4. Safe Mode Windows Defender Blocked.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safe Mode Windows Defender Blocked.: I had previously installed a virus which i now removed however it blocked off the Windows Defender when accessing safe mode is there a way to fix this? submitted by /u/Masonington2 [link] [comments]...
  5. Block safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Block safe mode: Hi, I read that editing the registry with: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System SafeModeBlockNonAdmins = 1 Will block safe mode for non admin accounts. Can anyone confirm this? Also, is this DWORD created by the user, or is...
  6. Windows 10 1903 Nvidia driver issues

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 1903 Nvidia driver issues: Hello, So three weeks ago my computer decided to install the 1903 update of windows 10 after I turned it on. After the update, I went to Add or remove programs to see if any of my software or drivers had been uninstalled, everything seemed fine until I noticed 2 out of the 3...
  7. Problem in updating nvidia latest driver on windows 10 1903

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem in updating nvidia latest driver on windows 10 1903: I have searched hi and lo, tried all combinations from manual, to sfc, to disabling, to uninstalling. no change. my windows 10 will not update, but will through the nvidia scheduler error daily. any more ideas?...
  8. Updating drivers in safe mode

Updating drivers in safe mode: Hello, I've been appealing to the Microsoft Community to ask you to believe that if I can update my Safe Mode drivers. I mention that I went into the safe mode in computer mode last night in the device manager section and I have some yellow drivers. How can I fix it to make...
  9. Nvidia Driver wont update Win10 is blocking new update

Nvidia Driver wont update Win10 is blocking new update: Nvidia Driver wont update Win10 is blocking new update. Ive tried every i can find on how to fix it. Nothing works. But everything is pointing to Windows 10. Now Microsoft says ending support of 7 but this issue is still one for the past 3-4years now. I reverted back to 7...
  10. Display Driver / Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display Driver / Safe Mode: My display driver gave out - I get a black screen now after windows 10 loads (can see stuff on screen up to the window's loading screen). So, in the past, this is easy to fix. Boot windows into Safe mode and uninstall the driver then reinstall the driver or the previous...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvidia 1903 require a dch package safe mode