Windows 10: NVIDIA driver for clean install

Discus and support NVIDIA driver for clean install in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I'm getting ready to do a Win10 Pro MCT ISO USB based clean install on a Dell XPS 8700. The machine has an NVIDIA GTX 745 card. In preparing for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by desertdad, Aug 13, 2020.

1. desertdad Win User

NVIDIA driver for clean install

I'm getting ready to do a Win10 Pro MCT ISO USB based clean install on a Dell XPS 8700. The machine has an NVIDIA GTX 745 card. In preparing for the install I discovered there are three 451.67 drivers to be considered. I installed the 451.67 for the Win8.1-64 machine. I then started looking for a Win10 driver for the card to have on tap in case the installer failed. I found two different 451.67 drivers that looked like they would work for my purposes. They have different download sizes. One is packaged with the CP ['Standard'] and one is [my term] 'bare bones' driver [DCH] [no CP]. I also found a link on the NVIDIA site that helped me with some developer insight. My conclusion is that NVIDIA is probably giving MS the equivalent of the non-CP version for the install drivers. MS wants the customer to go to the Store to get the CP addition. If all goes well, the installer will be ok with the non-CP version for my card. I may settle for that temporarily.
    The NVIDIA link is NVIDIA DCH/Standard Display Drivers for Windows 10 FAQ | NVIDIA
    Do you have any tips on how to handle this other than start with the adapter on Win8.1 already having a 451.67 driver installed?
    If you think this should go in the NVIDIA thread, let me know. It seemed to be more of a clean install question.
    TIA, Dick*Smile

- - - Updated - - -

I know I have to make the second onboard HD unavailable during the install. Can I use Device Manager to disable the driver before I start the install instead of pulling the cable? Does disabling the driver carry over across a shutdown and clean install?
    TIA, Dick*Smile

:)

desertdad, Aug 13, 2020

2. Windows 10 upgrade & Nvidia GTX 660 - Windows will not install nVidia drivers

Thank you Pavan for the reply.

I tried your suggestion step-by-step. It did not allow me to install the nvidia drivers correctly.

I did notice something interesting, which would make one think the clean boot should work:

After this process didn't result in the current nvidia drivers being installed (nor my 2nd monitor), I restored back to a point before I tried. I decided to run the DDU utility and wipe the nvidia software from the system. In the process to do this, the
    DDU utility restarts in SAFE MODE. When in safe mode, the display defaults to a native 1920x1080 resolution.

I even search the registry for nvidia, and deleted all the stuff that had nvidia and was related to graphics. Still didn't work.

Unless you have some other suggestions, my last resort would be to back up my data, and try to do a windows 10 installation clean. I found this article and may be trying this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

-Steven

StevenHuskins, Aug 13, 2020
  3. Fox34 Win User
    I cant get drivers to install

Read my guide, goes step buy step for nvidia driver install. Though I use a different driver cause I got 8 series, same method of installation

Fox34, Aug 13, 2020
  4. NVIDIA driver for clean install

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

NVIDIA driver for clean install

1. NVIDIA driver for clean install - Similar Threads - NVIDIA driver clean

2. NVIDIA Drivers fail to install.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVIDIA Drivers fail to install.: SPECS:BIOS : Up to date; A24NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M 2GB4x2 8GB Ram DDR3L@1600MHzIntel Core i7-4600U 2 Cores 4 Threads @2.10GHz - 2.70GHz466GB HDDWindows 10 Pro x64 22H2 - 19045.3086Dell Latitude E5540Hello! I was installing NVIDIA Drivers on my laptop, when i get following...
  3. VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED 117 error after a clean Nvidia driver install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED 117 error after a clean Nvidia driver install: So I was noticing my laptop's TDP wall being lower than designed 165 W -> 145 W. I thought it might be because I was using a Studio Driver, so I went to Nvidia's website and downloaded the latest Game Ready Driver for my laptop.But the abnormal TDP wall is still there. And...
  4. VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED 117 error after a clean Nvidia driver install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED 117 error after a clean Nvidia driver install: So I was noticing my laptop's TDP wall being lower than designed 165 W -> 145 W. I thought it might be because I was using a Studio Driver, so I went to Nvidia's website and downloaded the latest Game Ready Driver for my laptop.But the abnormal TDP wall is still there. And...
  5. nVidia driver not installing

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    nVidia driver not installing: Hi, I am new in this forum. I have just registered because I am trying to work out a problem and need some help. I have recently re-installed my PC completely. It is now running on 64bit Windows 10, version 1909 (Build 18363.535). The PC includes an nVidia card GeForce GTX...
  6. nVidia driver not installing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    nVidia driver not installing: Hi, I am new in this forum. I have just registered because I am trying to work out a problem and need some help. I have recently re-installed my PC completely. It is now running on 64bit Windows 10, version 1909 (Build 18363.535). The PC includes an nVidia card GeForce GTX...
  7. After Win 10 Clean Install, Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Help!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    After Win 10 Clean Install, Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Help!: Hey guys, After I clean installed win 10 2 days ago I'm not able to install my Nvidia driver. I get this error: “NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. Please update your driver using GeForce Experience...
  8. After Win 10 Clean Install, Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Help!

in Windows 10 Support
    After Win 10 Clean Install, Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Help!: Hey guys, After I clean installed win 10 2 days ago I'm not able to install my Nvidia driver. I get this error: “NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. Please update your driver using GeForce Experience...
  9. Nvidia Driver Install Location?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nvidia Driver Install Location?: Hey guys, just wondering, where am I supposed to install my Nvidia drivers? Directly in my C drive C:/Nvidia or in program files (x86)? Thanks *Smile 104725
  10. Clean install and automatic video card driver install (nvidia)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install and automatic video card driver install (nvidia): Sorry if this has been addressed already (a search didn't yield exactly what I was looking for). I'm planning on doing a clean install of Win10 next weekend after upgrading from 7 x64 Pro. I'm wondering if anybody has a detailed account on what happens after the first load of...