Windows 10: Nvidia error… Does this mean I need a new video card to play this game?

Discus and support Nvidia error… Does this mean I need a new video card to play this game? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A couple years ago I built a new computer for myself, but kept my old one for my nephews to play games on. I installed Fortnite in a couple other Epic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dbassman55, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Nvidia error… Does this mean I need a new video card to play this game?

A couple years ago I built a new computer for myself, but kept my old one for my nephews to play games on. I installed Fortnite in a couple other Epic games on it, but when he tries to play any of them the following error pops up:

Please update your Nvidia GeForce driver… Detected Nvidia GeForce driver version 342.1 required driver version is 388.31 or later. Please update your drivers before playing the game.

Version 342.1 is the latest driver for my video card which is a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT. Does this mean I need a new video card in order for him to play the game or is there a way I can install version 388.314 my card? If I need a new video card I think is going to be SOL! LOL!

:)

dbassman55, Jan 14, 2021
  2. Mary Sau Win User

Video card driver crashing when playing games

We suggest that you rollback your driver. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R to open run dialog box.
    • In the dialog box window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Right click on your video card driver -> Properties ->
      Driver tab
      and select Rollback driver.
    If the issue persists, it could be better to contact the developer of the game.

Regards.

Mary Sau, Jan 14, 2021
  3. AbsolutG Win User
    Video card problems or something else?

I'm at a loss. My PC went crazy a few days ago while playing a game and now, after attempting many, many different things, I'm still unable to use it. My windows installation was destroyed. BSOD galore. You name it. I need help because I'm out of ideas on this one.

First I want to make it clear that I am not an expert in PC repairs, but I do have experience taking them apart and putting them back together again, swapping components, etc. I'm simply not experienced enough as someone who makes a living out of it.

These are my specs:

• Intel Core i7 6700 - 3.4 GHz
    • 8 GB RAM
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 DDR3
    • Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
    • 500 GB SSD
    • 3 TB HDD
    • PSU: XFX model XPS-650W-3XS (650W)
    • Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

And here is the sequence of events that led me to this. Hopefully, someone can give me new ideas:

1. I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. Unlike many other games of that level running smoothly on my PC, this one was running a bit sluggish. Very unstable FPS. I thought it was the game being badly optimized (I still think so, but that is off-topic). I switch the settings from DirectX 12 to DirectX 11 to see if it helped.
    2. Went back into the game (this setting had to be changed outside the game and then restart it). That's when everything went to hell. I started seeing some weird artifacts on screen for a few moments and then a BSOD. The error mentioned said "video scheduler internal error". Damn.
    3. Waited for windows to restart, switched the setting back to directx 12 (thinking that the blue screen was caused by dx11). Started the game again, and a few seconds in all the video on my screen got scrambled. Black boxes, lines, dots, etc. A mess. And then all frozen. This is when I started to panic. The first thing I thought after seeing this was the video card is fried.
    4. I started windows again, researched the message on that BSOD and performed a chkdsk, as suggested. A restart was required.
    5. After the scan, started Windows again and tried a different game. Fallout 4. A few seconds in, again, disaster: red dots, lines everywhere, complete mess... and another BSOD.
    6. It goes downhill from here. After restarting once again, instead of going back to Windows, I got into the startup repair of Windows, meaning that Windows did not boot correctly. I tried every single option available. Nothing made Windows boot back up. After a few tries, I got into safe mode, where everything seemed OK. I tried restoring to a previous a checkpoint, and nothing.
    7. After giving up on this installation of Windows, decided to reinstall it. Everywhere I looked on the internet, people kept mentioning that Windows may have gotten corrupted so a new installation was the easiest way to fix it.
    8. I cave in and reinstalled. It all seemed fine after the installation. I even got to a point where I was able to reinstall Fallout 4. So I tried again. Same results. Crashes, BSODs (one of them mentioned "irql_not_less_or_equal"), restart. This also killed Windows for me... again.
    9. At some point between all those restarts, startup repairs, etc. The entire video got locked into 800x600 resolution. There was no way to change it and even the BIOS was almost unusable because of the resolution (that's right; even on BIOS it stayed at that size). I had never seen anything like this.
    10. I finally got into Windows again after a second re-installation (this time I completely wiped out the drive to rule out viruses and malware). But still, no way to change from 800x600 resolution.
    11. I tried installing the Nvidia drivers and as soon as the installation started, another BSOD, this time the message mentioned "nvlddmkm.sys", which apparently has something to do with Nvidia drivers.
    12. At this point, I shut down, removed the video card and connected the monitor directly to the motherboard to use the internal graphics chip.
    13. This made it much better, the resolution went back to normal and Windows started up without issues. Of course, this was not the acceptable outcome.
    14. After much more investigating and different attempts to fix this mess, I decided that enough was enough, so I bought a new video card, a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060.
    15. Finally, it arrived yesterday. I connected everything as it should and turned the PC back on. I got video again!! Yay!!! But....
    16. My HDD, for whatever reason was not being recognized by Windows. I found out how to fix that, and as soon as the drive was re-recognized, dots everywhere and complete freeze!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!
    17. Restarted the PC but there was no way to get video back. Not even the Gigabyte logo from the BIOS was showing up. Simply black screen.
    18. I noticed that the light on my Xbox One gamepad came on and pretty much everything seemed fine inside the PC. There was simply no video output whatsoever. Could my new shiny video card have been fried already? Could it be defective?
    19. I tried several things, changing the PSU connectors, switching between using HDMI and DVI, etc.... nothing helped.
    20. I then removed the new video card, reinstalled the old one, and this time I got video again, but once more, 800x600 resolution, locked and as soon as Windows started and tried to installed the Nvidia drivers automatically, BSOD again.... shit!

I should mention that I did manage to get the HDD back. After that last freeze from step 16, went back to Windows and the HDD started showing up again as always.

So, at this point, I have no clue what else to do. Could it be the PSU that is causing all this trouble? It is the oldest component I have on this PC, about 7 years old (older than two of my kids!). Would changing the PSU fix all of this?

Could it simply be bad luck that I got a defective video card yesterday and this would have happened regardless of all the drama before it arrived? Should I RMA the new video card?

What else can I do? Like I said, I'm out of ideas and at this point I need suggestions from the experts.

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you!

AbsolutG, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Nvidia error… Does this mean I need a new video card to play this game?

NVIDIA 960m: Game Not playing on discrete card

I am currently trying to play Final Fantasy 11 on my I7 /16GB RAM / 2GB NVIDIA 960m laptop. This game is quite old and it's Recommended settings are a pentium 2 and 128MB PCI graphics card. I think this machine is a bit over qualified.

Despite this, the game sometimes struggles to keep even 10 FPS and is borderline un-playable. I tracked this down and found out through multiple tools that the game is running on the Intel Integrated (HD5600) graphics card and not the NVIDIA 960m discrete card. From all reports, this integrated card does not support DirectX 8.1

I have tried going to the NVIDIA control panel and setting POL.exe (game executeable) to use the discrete card. I have also tried setting the the global setting to use the discrete card. The game still runs on the integrated card.

Both graphics card drivers have been kept fully up to date. I contacted NVIDIA support line for help, which was a horrible experience. I had to 10-20 minute waits between each response because he had to help multiple people at once.... They first told me to do what I told them I had already done (Control panel above). They then had me re-install the same graphics driver TWICE (once with a "Clean Install"). Neither of this helped. They then told me to use a third party driver uninstaller because their driver uninstaller doesn't always get rid of everything that their driver installs...Bad joke? Nope they were serious.

I looked into their utility and used it to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and reinstall the latest driver clean again. Repeated the above control panel and the game still runs on the integrated graphics card.

I then downloaded both the stock drivers for the integrated and nvidia chip from MSI, uninstalled everything with the utility (in safe mode) and installed those drivers. Rebooted and repeated the control panel stuff again... game still runs on the integrated card.

I have also tried un-installing and/or disabling the integrated card through the device manager, which just lead to me not having any external displays and the game crashing on launch. There are no options in the UEFI related to disabling the integrated card.

99.9% of the time I do not have to worry about running out of battery. Is there something I can disable or custom driver I can install that will resolve this issue and let me enjoy this game?

System Information

Display Devices

Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 8275 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
    Shared Memory: 8147 MB

Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 10143 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1995 MB
    Shared Memory: 8147 MB

Kevin Howe, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Nvidia error… Does this mean I need a new video card to play this game?

1. Nvidia error… Does this mean I need a new video card to play this game? - Similar Threads - Nvidia error… Does

2. I need help install a Nvidia or amd graphics card to play injustice 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help install a Nvidia or amd graphics card to play injustice 2: I tried YouTube tutorials and it still tells me I am not compatible I have never installed it before and I need help installing it to replace my Microsoft display adapter. Because all the tutorial I watched already had some for of the Nvidia or amd software and since this is...
  3. I need help install a Nvidia or amd graphics card to play injustice 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help install a Nvidia or amd graphics card to play injustice 2: I tried YouTube tutorials and it still tells me I am not compatible I have never installed it before and I need help installing it to replace my Microsoft display adapter. Because all the tutorial I watched already had some for of the Nvidia or amd software and since this is...
  4. I need help install a Nvidia or amd graphics card to play injustice 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. What does this mean? I currently have BSOD while playing a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does this mean? I currently have BSOD while playing a game: I have a Windows 10, Intel Core I5-8250U 1.60Ghz, 4GB Internal RAM, Nvidia Geforce Mx130 Integrated graphicswhile playing a game this happens pls help. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M 1000007eThis is a very common BugCheck. Usually the exception address pinpointsthe...
  6. What does this mean? I currently have BSOD while playing a game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What does this mean? I currently have BSOD while playing a game: I have a Windows 10, Intel Core I5-8250U 1.60Ghz, 4GB Internal RAM, Nvidia Geforce Mx130 Integrated graphicswhile playing a game this happens pls help. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M 1000007eThis is a very common BugCheck. Usually the exception address pinpointsthe...
  7. 2004 Update and Nvidia video cards

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2004 Update and Nvidia video cards: How long until PCs with NVIDIA video cards can get the 2004 update. My laptop updated fine but my desktop has an NVIDIA video card and won't pull in the update - even the update assistant won't get it. I read there was a compatibility problem....
  8. I need a big help! Video card Error!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I need a big help! Video card Error!: I gave the reinstall to Windows 10 and it gives me error to the video card and I do not know what to do... I used and DDU for the driver to make it go but it does not work... I got the driver from Nvidia on the site specifically for my video card but just going to change my...
  9. BSOD's when playing games using Nvidia card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD's when playing games using Nvidia card: Hello, I'll try to give as much information as possible. Due to problems with BSOD's in win7 after I started playing World of Warships, I eventually ended up with my laptop not detecting my Nvidia GPU anymore. I recently upgraded to win10 and my Nvidia GPU got detected...
  10. New Video Card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New Video Card: I have been thinking of getting an EVGA 1080 FTW video card. I currently have an Radeon R9 290 card. Would upgrading make that much difference in games like Farcry 4, Call of Duty, Battlefield 1 etc? My system stats are up to date. 77763