Windows 10: NVIDIA GeForce GT640 & Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Issue

Discus and support NVIDIA GeForce GT640 & Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Issue in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello, My first post here, and I'm no computer scientist, so please understand my lack of understanding. I have a HP Pavilion p6774y I purchased new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by NicholasBadding, Jan 6, 2020.

1. NVIDIA GeForce GT640 & Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Issue

Hello,
    My first post here, and I'm no computer scientist, so please understand my lack of understanding.

I have a HP Pavilion p6774y I purchased new MANY years ago. In the middle of December, I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) to Windows 10 Pro (x64) ver. 1909. It had many failures attempting to upgrade until I disabled the Driver Signature requirment. Then it went through smoothly. When I upgraded I was still using the integrated ATI/AMD HD4200 GPU. Since then I have tried to upgrade my GPU with NVIDIA.

According to HP, the BIOS on my motherboard cannot be updated any further than it is now. The BIOS is 6.11. Because of that, I am limited to NVIDIA GT6xx cards or "smaller". I have upgraded the CPU to a 1065T and the power supply to 600W.

I used DDU to remove the AMD/ATI drivers and put in the most recent (441.66) NVIDIA driver. Installed a NVIDIA GeForce GT640 card, and it has not worked properly yet. I have been talking to NVIDIA tech support for days. Their recommendation is to try the card in a different PC for testing. Not really an option for me.

Here is a brief list of what I see:

The Display Adapter shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
    The drivers, hardware IDs, manufacturer, etc all show NVIDIA.
    Hardware Acceleration is not enabled (possibly because it is showing as Microsoft BDA)
    The aspect ratio is wrong (large black boarder around image on screen)
    I see from GPU-Z that there is no memory, yet the card is supposed to have 2GB
    The NVIDIA drivers installation went smoothly with no "hiccups"...It "saw" the NVIDIA card.
    The NVIDIA Control Panel will not open. (d/l'd from the Microsoft Store). When you click on it in the APPS panel, nothing happens MOST of the time. On RARE OCCASION I will get the "legaleese" window, but never further than that.

I have screen shots of info from both the Device Manager and GPU-Z

I obviously would like to get Windows to fully recognize the NVIDIA card (I have another one being delivered, because this one might just be bad ie. no memory instead of 2GB).

NVIDIA GeForce GT640 & Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Issue [​IMG]

:)

NicholasBadding, Jan 6, 2020

2. Update Microsoft Basic Display Adapter for Nvidia Geforce

I have installed Nvidia Geforce GTX 870M on my Alienware (Dell) computer but the Microsoft Basic Display adapter can't find the PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1199&SUBSYS_05511028.

That should be the address to Nvidia cards, but still, only Microsoft Basic Display is in the list of devices.

I've tried to install any and many of Nvidia drivers, but none of them have the right address in their INF-files. Still messages saying Nvidia installer cannot continue, or, Driver not compatible (because the Microsoft BD can't find the card).

Can I uninstall the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter or at least Update so it can find the right address to Geforce GTX 870M driver?

I simply need a driver for Nvidia Geforce GTX870M that have the "10DE" and "1199" and "05511028" in their Driver INF-files so the Microsoft driver for Basic Display can fint it!

Carl BengtStahl, Jan 6, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Microsoft Basic Display Adapter doesn't go away.

Hi FrustratedPerson_01

Is the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter listed alongside your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti card in the Display Adapters section?

If so, that would mean you also have on-board graphics as well as your Nvidia card and there is no driver loaded for that device

In Device Manager, expand out the Processors section, what is the exact model of Processor listed there?

DaveM121, Jan 6, 2020
  4. NVIDIA GeForce GT640 & Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Issue

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter issue

Hi all,

I have a brand new setup with the below:

Processor: AMD Ryzen Quad Core 3.6 GHz

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: nvidia geforce gtx 1050 ti

DirectX: Version 12

But for some reason the system only recognizes the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and ignores the Nvidia one. I have updated the Nvidia drive and tried many suggested 'fixes' to no avail. Both show up in the Device Manager but the system just won't swap
    solely to the Nvidia setting.

Most of the help assumes updating to Windows 10 - I've found nothing about a new setup like mine. Please help - any games I try to play have pretty bad issues.

Thanks

LadyJane52, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

NVIDIA GeForce GT640 & Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Issue

1. NVIDIA GeForce GT640 & Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Issue - Similar Threads - NVIDIA GeForce GT640

2. microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft basic display adapter: microsoft basic display adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-basic-display-adapter/c3f88116-72f2-480d-93dc-9b37b5c4b807
  3. Microsoft Basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Basic display adapter: Hi folks,first of all I wanna say I know this question has been asked a lot but after many tries I still haven't found a fixAfter updating my drivers with driver booster and a restart I noticed my NVidia drivers were replaced with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"I have tried...
  4. microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft basic display adapter: VGN-FS570, clean install from xp to win 10 having a problem the graphic display, only seeing microsoft basic display adapter, not getting the full screen of the display, cannot change the adapter, tried to install adapter, not supported by your device the problem is cannot...
  5. Windows 10 misidentifies NVIDIA Geforce GTX1070ti as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 misidentifies NVIDIA Geforce GTX1070ti as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter: When Win10 locked me out, I had to do a clean reinstall, after which it installed the Windows Basic Display driver and refuses to allow me to install the correct NVIDIA driver....
  6. Microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft basic display adapter: The name of GPU is not shown in device manager, it's showing MICROSOFT BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER. And when I try to upgrade GPU DRIVERS it's told best drivers are already installed. And Nvidia installer cannot continue is also being written when I try to install it by Nvidia...
  7. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter: I have a GTX 1050ti but device manager shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter i tried updating it but it didn't work i tried updating my OS to Windows 10 but it still shows "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" i tried plugging my graphics card to other computers it works but it...
  8. Nvidia issue - Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Nvidia issue - Microsoft Basic Display Adapter: Hi, I have a ThinkPad Lenovo W530 with a Nvidia Quadro K2000M graphic card and Windows 10 don't recognize it well. I've installed the last drivers and I can see it in the Device Manager, but DxDiag shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. How can I fix this? P...
  9. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Basic Display Adapter issue: Hi all, I have a brand new setup with the below: OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit Processor: AMD Ryzen Quad Core 3.6 GHz Memory: 8 GB RAM Graphics: nvidia geforce gtx 1050 ti DirectX: Version 12 But for some reason the system only recognizes the Microsoft Basic Display...
  10. Basic Display Adapter Issue

Basic Display Adapter Issue: I have a problem with my newly upgraded old laptop to windows 10 pro. The display is not good, the video is fragmented and sometimes freezing. I have checked all the drivers in the device manager and updated all but still no changes. In the display adapter the driver is named...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot