Windows 10: NVidia GTX 750 Ti causing shutdowns Optiplex 7020

Discus and support NVidia GTX 750 Ti causing shutdowns Optiplex 7020 in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; The basics- I just bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7020 with 512GB SSD & Windows 10 Pro to replace my old Win7 PC. I spent time transferring files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by diosoth, May 4, 2021.

1. diosoth Win User

NVidia GTX 750 Ti causing shutdowns Optiplex 7020

The basics- I just bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7020 with 512GB SSD & Windows 10 Pro to replace my old Win7 PC. I spent time transferring files over, installing programs/games/etc. Once satisfied with that I took the old PC apart to salvage a few components into the new PC- Enermax Tomahawk 500W PSU(with 24-8 pin adapter), some cooling fans, DVD drive & an eVGA NVidia GTX 750 Ti SC. Almost immediate problems- the system would shut down and reboot within 30 seconds-5 minutes of starting Windows. I ruled out the PSU by swapping in the original 290W Dell, same issue. Ruled out the second DVD drive by unplugging it. It's the video card. Taking it out and going back to the onboard Intel VGA solved the shutdown issues, have had none since then. I don't believe the card was damaged in any way when moving it. I'm 90% certain it's a power issue, the motherboard may not have been offering enough needed power. I have changed to "high performance" power settings. My understanding regarding this PC & card are that even the 290 should be enough to power it. HOWEVER I am only 95% sure on this and would rather get some extra input before I put the card back in, in case it's some other problem(BIOS, generic default video drivers hating the card, other software issue).

:)

diosoth, May 4, 2021
  2. diosoth Win User

The basics-

I just bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7020 with 512GB SSD & Windows 10 Pro to replace my old Win7 PC. I spent time transferring files over, installing programs/games/etc. Once satisfied with that I took the old PC apart to salvage a few components into the new PC- Enermax Tomahawk 500W PSU(with 24-8 pin adapter), some cooling fans, DVD drive & an eVGA NVidia GTX 750 Ti SC.

Almost immediate problems- the system would shut down and reboot within 30 seconds-5 minutes of starting Windows. I ruled out the PSU by swapping in the original 290W Dell, same issue. Ruled out the second DVD drive by unplugging it.

It's the video card. Taking it out and going back to the onboard Intel VGA solved the shutdown issues, have had none since then. I don't believe the card was damaged in any way when moving it. I'm 90% certain it's a power issue, the motherboard may not have been offering enough needed power. I have changed to "high performance" power settings. My understanding regarding this PC & card are that even the 290 should be enough to power it.

HOWEVER I am only 95% sure on this and would rather get some extra input before I put the card back in, in case it's some other problem(BIOS, generic default video drivers hating the card, other software issue).

diosoth, May 4, 2021
  3. bobkn Win User

The GTX 750 ti isn't a high-powered card. It has no auxiliary PCI-E power connections. It's rated at 60W, which isn't much less than the maximum supported through the PCI-E X16 slot (75W).

What drivers were you using?

bobkn, May 4, 2021
  4. bobkn Win User

Interesting. I'm not sure what drivers you'd get from a clean Windows install (if that's what you did), or from Windows Update (if you haven't prevented driver updates).

If the card is using the Microsoft Basic drivers, it should have horrible performance, but I wouldn't expect that to crash the PC. My expectations could be wrong, though.

Supposedly, the GTX 750 ti is supported by the latest drivers (NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL). That should be taken with a grain of salt, because nVidia driver search has been known to give bogus results. However, if the drivers don't support the card, they won't install. No risk.

bobkn, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. NVidia GTX 750 Ti causing shutdowns Optiplex 7020 - Similar Threads - NVidia GTX 750

2. Graphics Card/Display keeps crashing Geforce GTX 750 Ti

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Graphics Card/Display keeps crashing Geforce GTX 750 Ti: [Windows 10] Whenever i am playing games it seems to simply crash the display. after a couple of moments i can still hear the sound etc. Does anyone have any idea why?(i have included an event log from the log collector, however the v2 collector wouldnt run for some reason so...
  3. New video driver Geforce GTX 750 Ti for Win 10 not installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New video driver Geforce GTX 750 Ti for Win 10 not installed: Hello guys, My current video driver Geforce GTX 750 Ti version for win 10 x64 is 417.71. I've downloaded its 419.35 version and went for installing it. But it can't be installed. [img] Of course, my Windows 10 x64 machine is connected to a switcher. [img] How to...
  4. No sound [GTX 750 Ti + Supreme FX II in W10]

No sound [GTX 750 Ti + Supreme FX II in W10]: Hi. I've just installed a new GTX 750 Ti in my W10. My monitor is connected via DVI with an VGA-DVI adapter, and it has no sound capabilities, so I've been using the Supreme FX II sound card included in my ASUS Rampage Formula MoBo for audio. Now I have no audio at...
  5. Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti incompatible with Windows 10

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti incompatible with Windows 10: I recently updated and found that absolutely nothing is working regarding graphics. I've lost dual monitor, I cannot play games, and my computer doesn't even identify my graphics card, nor my second monitor. I've tried updating the drivers through Nvidia experience, update...
  6. Monitor Not Working/Green Dots on the Screen - NVIDIA GTX 750

Monitor Not Working/Green Dots on the Screen - NVIDIA GTX 750: I am having a problem that started recently, probably within the past 2 months. Quick run down of the system: HP Pavilion 500-164 stock except for: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 revision A2 Corsair PSU (I believe it was a 400 watt, can't remember the exact model) 250GB...
  7. Problems with Msi GeForce GTX 750 TI

Problems with Msi GeForce GTX 750 TI: Hi everyone. Yesterday I bought a Msi GeForce GTX 750 TI and put it in my PC. As soon as I put it on, I see some problems: the bios starts and the starting up of the pc goes fine until it comes to putting the password. Here I see the screen which seems zoomed in, and after...
  8. Will Nvidia GTX 750 work with W10 build 10014

Will Nvidia GTX 750 work with W10 build 10014: Hi folks, Recently had a a GPU failure, so I'm currently running on Intel 300 onboard graphics. This is on a i7 2700K CPU, plus 8GB RAM, into a 2560x1440 monitor. The onboard graphics will not give me my native resolution (2560x1440) Also, the whole system seems more...
  9. Introducing NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti for laptops

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti for laptops: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Unleash your gaming dominance with the revolutionary new GPUs that turn your mobile rig into a sleek, powerful gaming weapon. GeForce® GTX 10-Series GPUs have now come to laptops, powered by the game-changing NVIDIA Pascal™...
  10. NVIDIA Introduces GeForce GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti

in Windows 10 News
    NVIDIA Introduces GeForce GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti: We’re adding two new gaming GPUs to our award-winning lineup of NVIDIA-Pascal based GPUs — the GeForce GTX 1050, starting at $109, and the GTXD 1050 Ti, starting at $139. Both will let you play your favorite games at a smooth 60 frames-per-second. Built on the same...