Windows 10: Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ?

Discus and support Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Dear forum readers, I recently got a new MSI laptop (GP76 10UG). As is now usual with Nvidia-equipped hardware, this thing has Optimus. However, yet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by NovHak, Mar 30, 2021.

1. NovHak Win User

Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ?

Dear forum readers,

I recently got a new MSI laptop (GP76 10UG). As is now usual with Nvidia-equipped hardware, this thing has Optimus. However, yet again, the dGPU switches on from time to time for no apparent reason. While it's not very often, it's still too much since I'm not using it, and the system should not be using it in my back.

I thought of deactivating the dGPU in the device manager, but the same happens as with my old computer in such a case, the dGPU remains on at all times. So, bad idea.

In addition to the random times when some process uses it in my back, the dGPU switches on when :
    - I start the Task Manager
    - I quit the Task Manager
    - Sometimes (but not always) when I visit Settings => System => Display
    - I log in
    - I log out
    - I lock my user session
    - I unlock my user session
    - The screen goes into power saving mode
    - The screen leaves power saving mode

I want the system to not use the dGPU under any circumstances, unless I authorise it to, and the dGPU to remain off in the meantime. Is it even possible ? I can achieve this on Linux, but never did on Windows.

Fwiw, my Windows version is 20H2 (19042.867).

:)

NovHak, Mar 30, 2021
  2. Ensefalon Win User

Ethernet lights up like christmas tree everytime when plugged in?!

Hey guys, I have a Netgear FS750T2 that seems to light up like a christmas tree everytime I plug it in, Must be that time of the year...Could someone assist me? I've never had this issue until now and I don't know what the switch is trying to tell me.... Could anyone help me out? Spoiler: Image
    Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ? [​IMG]

Ensefalon, Mar 30, 2021
  3. Windows 10 and Nvidia Optimus issue

after upgrade to windows 10, did anyone notice that nvidia optimus is not working properly as it keep switching between discrete and integrated graphic even for some simple thing like open action center. this has cause graphic shuttering and lag for windows GUI.

i can assured that this is not happen with windows 8. and the issue is still persists even after a clean install of windows 10 following by intel and nvidia gpu driver. perhaps it is some driver issue?

GPU: GTX 780M
    IGPU: HD 4600

look like other also experience this

https://www.tenforums.com/redirect-to...0-and-optimus/

https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...ering-lag.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/nvidia-optimus-not-working-properly/a059390d-dfc1-44aa-9a47-d2172d70933e

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nvidia have fixed the issue with 365.10 driver.

janice1234, Mar 30, 2021
  4. Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ?

Madrid gets Pac-Man Christmas Tree

Admittedly this doesn’t affect day to day hardware an awful lot, but the people in Madrid have been fortunate enough to get this impressive (if somewhat geeky) Pac-Man Christmas tree. There’s a picture of the Pac-Man tree below, and a link to the video on YouTube if you want to see it in action. I've got to admit it bears limited resemblance to a Christmas tree, but it's still cool nonetheless.

Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ? pacmantree_thm.jpg

Source: technabob via Engadget

Jimmy 2004, Mar 30, 2021
Thema:

Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ?

1. Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ? - Similar Threads - Nvidia Optimus lights

2. NVIDIA optimus trouble

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVIDIA optimus trouble: NVIDIA optimus forces the use of Intel GPUs in lightweight games such as Minecraft It forces my Minecraft to run at 30~40 FPS and not play properly. What I have tried- Reinstall Windows. Reinstall Intel & Nvidia GPU using DDU Reinstall Minecraft Nvidia control panel & windows...
  3. NVIDIA optimus trouble

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVIDIA optimus trouble: NVIDIA optimus forces the use of Intel GPUs in lightweight games such as Minecraft It forces my Minecraft to run at 30~40 FPS and not play properly. What I have tried- Reinstall Windows. Reinstall Intel & Nvidia GPU using DDU Reinstall Minecraft Nvidia control panel & windows...
  4. NVIDIA optimus trouble

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Is it possible to have nVIDIA Optimus in a desktop?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is it possible to have nVIDIA Optimus in a desktop?: Hi, I have an msi Z390 motherboard and an i5-9600K, with the integrated iGPU Intel UHD 630. I am going to buy a GTX 2060, but it consumes way more power than the Intel iGPU, even for idling/browsing. I've had notebooks in the past and there was this thing called "nVIDIA...
  6. NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs

NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs: Hi I have an iGPU and dGPU in my desktop PC. I want to have the NVIDIA Optimus Configuration where the iGPU works for normal browsing and surfing tasks, and dGPU kicks in when doing GPU intensive tasks i.e. gaming, video editing, AI programs. I have plugged my display into...
  7. dmw.exe and Nvidia Optimus Technology: are there any indicators as to which progams are...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dmw.exe and Nvidia Optimus Technology: are there any indicators as to which progams are...: Just had a long talk to both Nvidia and Microsoft Support. The problem is that dmw.exe (desktop window manager) hugs onto some programs and games after tabbing out or running the program in windowed mode for mobile graphics cards of the nvidia m series (eg 870m in my case)...
  8. Star Wars: The Old Republic is not working with NVIDIA Optimus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Star Wars: The Old Republic is not working with NVIDIA Optimus: I don't know if this is only for Windows 10, but I'll post it here, maybe someone knows a workaround. I installed Star Wars The Old Republic (the new MMORPG) and when I start it with my NVIDIA GeFore 610M card, it refuses to launch, no error message, process closes too. But...
  9. Nvidia Optimus & Adobe Acrobat

Nvidia Optimus & Adobe Acrobat: I have a dell precision 7710 laptop. It has a Quadro M5000M. In NVidia Control Panel I have adobe Acrobat DC to use the Quadro card, but on the task bar, the Quadro Activity icon does not show acrobat using the Quadro. If I run Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom, Photoshop...
  10. Windows 10 and Nvidia Optimus issue

Windows 10 and Nvidia Optimus issue: after upgrade to windows 10, did anyone notice that nvidia optimus is not working properly as it keep switching between discrete and integrated graphic even for some simple thing like open action center. this has cause graphic shuttering and lag for windows GUI. i can...