Windows 10: NVME issues for booting win 10

Discus and support NVME issues for booting win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I was recently rebuilding my PC and decided to upgrade to a 2TB PCIE 4 NVME. I also Previously had a Samsung 960 PRO. I did a clean install from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nickywaldo, Apr 23, 2020.

1. NVME issues for booting win 10

Hi,
    I was recently rebuilding my PC and decided to upgrade to a 2TB PCIE 4 NVME. I also Previously had a Samsung 960 PRO. I did a clean install from a USBC SSD.
    For some reason, I have to have my BIOS set to legacy in order to recognize and boot from the new NVME. How can I fix this?
    Many thanks!
    Nick
    WIN 1909 Build 18363.8115
    Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
    Corsair MP600 PCIe Gen 4 2TB
    AMD 3950X
    GSKILL 64GB DDR4 3600

:)

nickywaldo, Apr 23, 2020

2. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Apr 23, 2020
  3. cnenzel Win User
    AMD X370 Chipset - NVMe boot device - Driver issue

Mostly posting this in case others run into this issue.

I have an AMD Ryzen system with an Asus X370 motherboard and two SATA drives in a RAID 1 array booting from a Western Digital NVMe stick

Last night at some point the system - Newly upgraded to Windows 1903 with all available post upgrade patches - that the
    Standard NVM Express Controller driver wasn't sufficient for the NVMe stick not running RAID mode (disabled in BIOS) and installed the
    AMD-RAID Bottom Device and AMD-RAID Controller [Storport] drivers for it.

It did this silently. I rebooted to cure a different issue and Windows 10 ended up in a boot loop.

I only realized what actually happened after I restored a Macrium Reflect (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) image of the C: drive (NVMe) from the night before the reboot, opened device manager and saw what it had done.

I don't know of an easy way to figure out which AMD-RAID Bottom Device
    and AMD-RAID-Controller [Storport] are assigned to which device so I temporarily put the NMVe stick into RAID mode so it would boot and disabled RAID for the remainder of the SATA devices. This let me boot, change the driver back to the
    Standard NVM Express Controller Driver (because now there is only one AMD-RAID Bottom Device and AMD-RAID-Controller [Storport]
    listed in device manager) , disable NVMe RAID, enable SATA RAID and resolve the issue.

Whew. Now, if it boot loops again, my first troubleshooting step will be to turn on RAID mode for the NVMe stick and see if that fixes the boot issue... Instead of spending an hour trying to get the system to see the F8 key being spammed so I could select
    the Reflect recovery USB stick and reimage the NMVe stick...

cnenzel, Apr 23, 2020
  4. NVME issues for booting win 10

Use bootloader from a SATA disk to boot Windows installation on a NVME disk

I've managed to get the system booting from the NVME some other way:

1. Converted the NVME to GPT using MBR2GPT.EXE
    2. Hacked NVME support into the bios

a1__Bart__1, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

NVME issues for booting win 10

1. NVME issues for booting win 10 - Similar Threads - NVME issues booting

2. Win 10 boot issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 boot issue: Hello, so I'm having an issue . My PC keeps booting to the "choose an option screen". I have seen multiple videos on how to help but the thing is . I don't own another PC so I can't create a bootable USBCan someone help? Thanks....
  3. WIN 10 Installer can't NVMe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WIN 10 Installer can't NVMe: morning, i have a stupid problem. I have a Crucial P1 500GB NVMe + GB B450 Gaming X + Ryzen 5 3600. If I boot it at linux i got nice access to my nvme but if i try to install win 10 on it, it didn't show up :( I can't find any drivers for the nvm on the crucial website....
  4. Win 10 boot issue...help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 boot issue...help!: Hi everyone, My Acer laptop crashed from a BSOD and I'm no longer able to boot into Win 10, I suspect it was a recent Win 10 update but cannot be 100% sure. These are the things I've attempted to troubleshoot my laptop. - Attempted to use Win 10 self fix service, system...
  5. Help with NVME boot issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with NVME boot issues: Installed WIn 10 Pro 64 EUFI successfully onto a 1TB NVMe drive and all was working fine and reliably. Without going into much detail, was trying to get a UAD accelerator PCe2 card working on the system (these are used in pro audio and there are known issues with Ryzen...
  6. Help with NVME boot issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with NVME boot issues: Installed WIn 10 Pro 64 EUFI successfully onto a 1TB NVMe drive and all was working fine and reliably. Without going into much detail, was trying to get a UAD accelerator PCe2 card working on the system (these are used in pro audio and there are known issues with Ryzen...
  7. Win 10 Boot issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Boot issue: I am trying to install Windows 10 from my USB stick since my SSD died on me. I am constantly getting this error: "0xc0000098 Windows/System32/Drivers/Ehstortcgdrv.sys" I have tried searching this online on my own but solutions tell me to use my USB stick to fix this issue....
  8. win 10 boot issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 10 boot issue: I am using Win 10 . i never made a recovery USB where can i download a free copy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-boot-issue/f06d7a34-68ab-4cdc-a3f2-b11f13922b0d
  9. 9900k, samsung 970 pro nvme super slow Win 10 boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    9900k, samsung 970 pro nvme super slow Win 10 boot: Hi everyone, I have an issue with my new build. I'm getting boot times of a minimum of 40 seconds (after bios) when i turn on from cold, up to 2 mins 45 - 3 mins 15, on restart. I installed win 10 pro with just the nvme installed, afterwards i updated the drivers for the...
  10. 9900k, samsung 970 pro nvme super slow Win 10 boot

in Windows 10 Support
    9900k, samsung 970 pro nvme super slow Win 10 boot: Hi everyone, I have an issue with my new build. I'm getting boot times of a minimum of 40 seconds (after bios) when i turn on from cold, up to 2 mins 45 - 3 mins 15, on restart. I installed win 10 pro with just the nvme installed, afterwards i updated the drivers for the...