Windows 10: NVMe M.2 SSD

Discus and support NVMe M.2 SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have the Asus Rog Rampage Extreme Omega motherboard, X299 chipset. Currently, I have the Samsung 970 Pro which is a PCIe 3.0x4. From what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by leosantare, Dec 19, 2020.

1. NVMe M.2 SSD

Hello,

I have the Asus Rog Rampage Extreme Omega motherboard, X299 chipset. Currently, I have the Samsung 970 Pro which is a PCIe 3.0x4. From what I understand my motherboard only supports up to PCIe3.0x4. I also understand that PCIe is backwards compatible.

Therefore, if I want to replace my current M.2 drive for my motherboard, would it be better to get another Samsung 970pro instead of the new Samsung 980 pro?

The Samsung 980 pro is PCIe 4.0x4 which my motherboard does not support. Therefore, I could not go by the specs on the 980 pro.

I'm thinking the 970 pro would be the better option since its designed for my motherboard, would this be correct?

Plus, the 970 pro has a much better TDW spec than the 980 pro.

:)

leosantare, Dec 19, 2020

2. about intel optane memory + NVMe™ M.2 SSD

nitially

intel optane memory M10(16,32,64gb)PCIe NVMe M.2 3.0x2 was for accelerating 2.5'SATA mechanical HDD regardless of which generation intel CPUs.

also note :

not talking about Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage (32gb+1tb, 32gb+512gb ,16gb+256gb)PCIe NVMe3.0x4 that comes as a single m.2 drive which is mounted on single m.2 slot

but now why

intel optane memory M15(16,32,64gb)(PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4)is-- paired with --PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSDs {which is mounted on two differnt m.2 slots on 7th ,8th and 9th gen intel CPUs}

what is the purpose

ex: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD + Intel® Optane™ memory 32 GB on (Intel® Core™ i7 9750H) seen from HPs Omen X 2S - 15 Gaming Laptop.

JelittThomas, Dec 19, 2020
  3. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Dec 19, 2020
  4. NVMe M.2 SSD

NVME SSD

My MB is a crosshair vii hero with latest bios 2901.

The m.2 1 link mode is auto, gen 1, gen 2, gen 3

M.2 2 is the same. And in the boot section nvme is visible and enabled.

AdrianLucke72, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

NVMe M.2 SSD

1. NVMe M.2 SSD - Similar Threads - NVMe SSD

2. Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD: I am trying to boot Win11 from an external m.2 NVMe drive via USB4. I've tried many things from clean install to copy of an existing install. I can install Win11 to the drive, I can run Win11 installation from the drive, but but every time I go to boot Windows 11 itself, I...
  3. Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD: I am trying to boot Win11 from an external m.2 NVMe drive via USB4. I've tried many things from clean install to copy of an existing install. I can install Win11 to the drive, I can run Win11 installation from the drive, but but every time I go to boot Windows 11 itself, I...
  4. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  5. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  6. Hi, my computer isn’t recognizing my NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hi, my computer isn’t recognizing my NVME SSD: have an Alienware computer, i have a SSD installed and I wanted to add another one, I bought a NVME SSD Samsung 990 and when I opened my computer there was already one in there. I guess I bought it that way. So I got an adapter so I can use both but now it’s not popping up at...
  7. Hi, my computer isn’t recognizing my NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, my computer isn’t recognizing my NVME SSD: have an Alienware computer, i have a SSD installed and I wanted to add another one, I bought a NVME SSD Samsung 990 and when I opened my computer there was already one in there. I guess I bought it that way. So I got an adapter so I can use both but now it’s not popping up at...
  8. Hi, my computer isn’t recognizing my NVME SSD

9. NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...: My goal is to install and run W11 on my new M.2 SSD after making a variety of PC upgrades. Here's the sequence of events including all troubleshooting steps taken so far:- Made sure I was grounded the whole time.- Upgraded motherboard from an old AM3+ to an AM5, MSI pro...
  10. NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...

NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...: My goal is to install and run W11 on my new M.2 SSD after making a variety of PC upgrades. Here's the sequence of events including all troubleshooting steps taken so far:- Made sure I was grounded the whole time.- Upgraded motherboard from an old AM3+ to an AM5, MSI pro...