Windows 10: NVME wont link up at pcie x4 speeds, only at pcie x2 speed

Discus and support NVME wont link up at pcie x4 speeds, only at pcie x2 speed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Device is x4 capable. But it seems this notebook only allocates 2 pcie lanes to the nvme slot. Which cuts the maximum read write times to 1729 mb/s and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Apr 24, 2019.

1. NVME wont link up at pcie x4 speeds, only at pcie x2 speed

Device is x4 capable. But it seems this notebook only allocates 2 pcie lanes to the nvme slot. Which cuts the maximum read write times to 1729 mb/s and 1628 mb/sec according to crystal disk info. Otherwise would be close to double those speeds. But practically i dont notice it being slow, boots in about 6 seconds max.
    Of course when i ran the speed read - write test and noticed it was half my expectation I went looking for a reason, and I think I found out why.

hwinfo screen shot shows the link up speed. I updated bios, but there is no speed setting.
    Notebook is Asus q525ua and seems decent, its not the greatest, but its still good enough.
    Any thoughts on this?

:)

sdowney717, Apr 24, 2019
  2. Cr00zng Win User

New SSD speed

On the surface, it seems that the 970 EVO is running on PCIe x2, instead of the preferred PCIe x4 connection. That would explain the read speed that you got. Check your BIOS/EUFI setting, if you can force x4 speed for the M.2 socket. The Samsung Magician software can also be used to check on the PCIe x number of channels.

I had the same issue in one system for the second Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drive, the EUFI defaulted to PCIe x2 speed and had to be enabled manually.

Cr00zng, Apr 24, 2019
  3. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 24, 2019
  4. PapaSloth Win User

NVME wont link up at pcie x4 speeds, only at pcie x2 speed

Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller very slow upload speed problem

This worked for me:

• Open Device Manager
    • Open Network adapters
    • Right-click on Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, select Properties
    • Click on Advanced tab.
    • Disable everything except for Flow Control
    • Click OK
    After doing that, my upload speed increased from 0.3MB/S to 3.60MB/S on internet speed test.

PapaSloth, Apr 24, 2019
Thema:

NVME wont link up at pcie x4 speeds, only at pcie x2 speed

1. NVME wont link up at pcie x4 speeds, only at pcie x2 speed - Similar Threads - NVME wont link

2. Windows 11 effecting the speed of Transcend 1TB 110S M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 effecting the speed of Transcend 1TB 110S M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 Solid State Drive: Hi,Hopefully you are doing well, I'm getting issues related to SSD writing speed, The mentioned SSD writing speed is around 2800Mbs and i'm getting around 120mbs to 250mbs. I recently bought the Hp Victus i5-13420H with 1 Tb Nvme 2 Pci 3x4. In fresh windows the SSD was...
  3. Windows 11 effecting the speed of Transcend 1TB 110S M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 effecting the speed of Transcend 1TB 110S M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 Solid State Drive: Hi,Hopefully you are doing well, I'm getting issues related to SSD writing speed, The mentioned SSD writing speed is around 2800Mbs and i'm getting around 120mbs to 250mbs. I recently bought the Hp Victus i5-13420H with 1 Tb Nvme 2 Pci 3x4. In fresh windows the SSD was...
  4. raid 2 m.2 NVME drives as one using a pcie adapter and NOT loose speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    raid 2 m.2 NVME drives as one using a pcie adapter and NOT loose speed: i am looking to get two m.2 NVME drives and put them in a adapter to merge them as one (a HW raid if you will) i see adapters like this here but im wondering isn't that switching from NVME to sata 3? will i go to sata 3 speed if i use this adapter or similar? my motherboard...
  5. pcie 2.0 vs pcie

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    pcie 2.0 vs pcie: Guys I have an old computer (Dell Optiplex 960 SFF) that is working fine for me however I want to upgrade the GPU. Will this card (AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB) run fine on my pcie x16 slot? Is this card pcie x16 or pcie 2.0? Should I get this one instead (AMD Radeon HD 6350...
  6. Monitoring tools for PCIe NVMe drives

Monitoring tools for PCIe NVMe drives: I recently got a new laptop with a PCIe NVMe SSD. I just noticed that Speccy reports "S.M.A.R.T not supported". I know little about disk drives and don't know anything about S.M.A.R.T., but I was surprised to see this. Is S.M.A.R.T. not appropriate for PCIe NVMe drives, or do...
  7. PCIe Network card not doing full speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PCIe Network card not doing full speed: Hi, I recently brought a 2x dual 1GB PCIe Intel network card (10Gtek® Gigabit PCIE Network Card for Intel E1G42ET - 82576 Chip). One for my main PC and another for my second PC. My internet speed that I get from my ISP is 350mb down and around 30mb up. On my main PC...
  8. What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?

What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?: I need to buy an adapter card to make use of an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive. The question I have is what does the X4 mean? The adapter card I am looking at can be used in a X4, X8 or X16 PCIe slot and they say I will get up to 32Gbps when it is plugged into a PCIe X16...
  9. What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?: I need to buy an adapter card to make use of an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive. The question I have is what does the X4 mean? The adapter card I am looking at can be used in a X4, X8 or X16 PCIe slot and they say I will get up to 32Gbps when it is plugged into a PCIe X16...
  10. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?: I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card. The issue is what hardware to use to clone the old drive to the new one. My mobo has one M.2 slot for SSD's so I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvme pcie x2 speed

2. my nvme pcie is only running at 2.0 speeds

3. why is my nvme at 2x

4. nvme only doing like 20mbs,
  5. m2 running at x2 instead of x4,
  6. why my nvme pcie x4 shows x2 8 gt/s,
  7. m.2 PCIE run at x2 not x4 ,
  8. bios nvme speed 2x only,
  9. control nvme hwinfo,
  10. PCIe X4 speed,
  11. nvme defaulted to 2.0 speed x399,