Windows 10: NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled

Discus and support NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Dear Community, I have installed a Corsair Force 510 480GB NVME drive, installed Windows 10 Pro on it and tested the performance with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by N.J.1988, Dec 9, 2019.

1. N.J.1988 Win User

NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled

Dear Community,

I have installed a Corsair Force 510 480GB NVME drive, installed Windows 10 Pro on it and tested the performance with CrystalDiskMark.

Sequential Read of 1GB files: 3500MB/sec

Sequential Write of 1GB files: 2200MB/sec

Then I enabled Bitlocker for the C-drive and tested again.

Sequential Read of 1GB files: 3400MB/sec

Sequential Write of 1GB files: 550MB/sec

Bitlocker is running in software mode without using hardware encryption of the SSD as Microsoft recommends these days due to

encryption implementation issues of some hardware vendors.

Question: How is it possible that read speed remains roughly the same but write speed drops by this huge amount of MB/sec?

I'd understand a 10% drop in throughput, but not this much.

Has anybody experienced the same behaviour and/or investigated further? Maybe there is a setting I am missing?

I am running a i9-9900k@5GHz with 32GB DDR4-3600 memory.

:)

N.J.1988, Dec 9, 2019
  2. SergiyRX Win User

Poor write performance of Bitlocker-enabled USB 3.x UAS (USB Attached SCSI) external SSD drives

NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled 52eda7fc-322c-4860-8cd7-e7f5f3ab27a8?upload=true.png

NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled 5cb25da4-1d58-422a-a173-dab91806191d?upload=true.png

Hi Community!

This topic is about poor write performance of Bitlocker-enabled external USB 3.x attached SCSI SSD drives (so called UAS drives) that are gaining popularity these days.

I trigger this topic because I found information available on the Internet too contradictory and misleading, and because of growing number of UAS SSDs on the market. The devices are typically equipped with some sort of
    SandFprce or Phison controllers, so they operate much like SAS SCSI drives. Peculiarly, since USB 3.x provides double simplex transfers, in theory (if supported in Windows 10, of which I am not sure) the devices should be capable of simultaneously read and
    write with little speed downgrade.

When people complain about “something is wrong” with their Bitlocker enabled drive, they lack “system and methodology”, because what is applicable to one drive is not applicable to another or the same drive in different circumstances.
    Hereby I give you a method of correctly testing and comparing the performance of the external USB 3.x attached SCSI SSD drives which cannot alter the true results and mislead interpretations. (Like the guy who run the test on a PC with 64 GB DRAM and test
    file size of 32 GB therefore actually measured performance of cache and not Bitlocker itself). Once you stick to the procedure described, you will not make such the mistakes.

This procedure applies to Bitlocker encrypted volumes on external SCSI SSD drives connected through USB 3.x serial bus to Windows 10 64 Professional / Professional for Workstations machines, builds 1605 and above;

For this procedure the following conditions are true:

• The CPU of the machine has included set of Intel New AES instructions, providing at least 5 G-ops for encryption/decryption performance in hardware, total for all the cores;

• The sustained DirectIO mode (Windows caching disabled) speed of the SAS attached USB 3.x drive should be above 400 MB/sec for both write and read random patterns, latency below 0.03 ms, when tested blocksizes are above 256K according ATTO and test
      file size should be double of the system physical memory. So we know for sure UAS is enabled and operating.

• The drive should be set as "Removable" in the policy. This is a precaution to prevent the OS to intervene into the IO flow and caching.

Now the Bitlocker performance measure procedure:

• Create a new NTFS volume on the drive with size of quadruple of system memory size (physical). So t.ex. for 8 GB system memory we create a volume 32 GB.

• Ensure that hardware encryption on the drive, if any, is disabled in GPO. For me t.ex, with new Corsair Voyager GTX 512 GB, there is no encrypting processor on the drive, as the controller of the disk is Phison (no compression or encryption).

• Create another volume next to it, of the same size and type of filesystem as the previos. This second volume will be our reference.

• Enable BITLOCKER for the first volume and fully encrypt it with new XTS 128 bit AES (default for new versions of Windows 10) and not the "compatible mode". Do NOT use "Bitlocker On The Go", encrypt the whole volume NOW. Do not enable the Bitlocker
      on the reference volume.

Well, if you correctly reproduced the bench, you will have a Bitlocker volume on your external drive with assigned letter, and another volume with another assigned drive letter, so move on and open ATTO.

• Pick up the second (unencrypted) volume by the assigned letter. Select queque depth of 8, Direct IO mode, IO overlapping as test parametes and full range for the block sizes. Set test file size to be half of the volume size.

• Run the test and save the results.

• Now, do the same for the Bitlocker encrypted drive. Save the results

The outcome.

You will immediately notice how performance drops when BitLocker is enabled. This is especially noticeable for large block sizes.

Pick up t.ex 4 Mb block size random write speed from the results set for unencrypted volume and divide it by the same result for the Bitlocker encrypted volume.

For me the performance degradation is severe: this ratio is as large as 4 on NTFS and up to 7 for ReFS; To underline, this is for the whole encrypted volume.

Discussion.

Till now, nobody told us how much actual data the Bitlocker writes physically to disk when System writes to Bitlocker some given portion of data. What is the aspect ratio of the two? With the hardware AES support on new Intel
    CPUs the encryption overhead is minimal, a matter of percents;

But ratios this high for AES writing operations might tell us that Bitlocker writes 4-5 times more to the physical layer that it writes on the System level, hence the performance drop.

Is that normal, is that “by design”?

Can you share you results acquired according this procedure for you drive?

Can you report your model name/ capacity with the result of the test?

It seems that something is not clear with the latest implementation of Bitlocker when it comes to real-world performance with external USB 3.x UAS SSD drives. Do you agree?

What is your opinion on the topic? Would you suggest some additional testing/ GPO settings/ configurations to test this issue more completely and are you aware of the way how to fix it, if you believe it is possible?

Do you agree that sustained write performance for 450+ MB/s capable device at 100+ MB/s with Bitlocker enabled is a shame? For comparison, VeraCrypt provides Three Level Nested Encryption at such the write speed on the same drive
    and volume!

Thank you everybody who reads this and share your thoughts and results.

Thank attached are ATTO test for the same volume on the external USB 3.x UAS SSD Bitlocker encrypted vs. Unencrypted (NTFS)

Regards,

Serge

SergiyRX, Dec 9, 2019
  3. SergiyRX Win User
    Poor write performance of Bitlocker-enabled USB 3.x UAS (USB Attached SCSI) external SSD drives

By the way, when writing to Bitlocker enabled volume, the UAS SSD becomes really hot (up to 55C), when writing at 100 MB/sec, and it only gets three degrees warmer than surroundings when writing at 440 MB/sec on Bitlocker disabled volume. CPU utilization
    also differs, but not catastrophically and there is still plenty of CPU horse power when it writes at full capacity to the Bitlocker-enabled volume.

So the bottleneck is really the drive. Indeed, Bitlocker completely occupies the bus and Windows displays mean access time up to 10000 ms with this operation for the Bitlocker-enabled volume!

But, the bus is occupied completely because it is iverwhelmed with pending requests. The drive is the bottleneck in this case but why?

What in Bitlocker technology makes writing encryped (already encrypted by CPU) data to the Bitlocker-enabled volume to work that hard?!! It looks like per each portion of encrypted data it writes at least four portions of unencrypted underlying data. But
    why warming then, I would guess that ENTROPY of the data written matters. Remember, this is RANDOM writes/read test! So only the entropy of the data within the

blocks makes difference. I have no idea if the test writes/reads RANDOM data to each of the blocks. But it it just writes zeroes or ones to each block that introduces negligible entropy change with Bitlocker-disabled volume, while for the Bitlocker-enabled
    volume, writing the same zeroes or ones will produce really random data block with every block having maximum possible entropy and different from any other block.

In this case, I would say that testing SSD with Bitlocker-enabled volumes gives us idea of the worst case performance (highest entropy data) while testing it with Bitlocker-disabled volumes gives us idea of the best case performance (lowest entropy data).

And of course this hypothesis would be an ultimate answer for the question why it is that slow, if it could explain WHY VeraCrypt is capable of writing TRIPLE enclosed encryption protocols with the same speed on the disk?))))

Cmon people, roll-in to the discussion!

SergiyRX, Dec 9, 2019
  4. NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled

BitLocker won't enable on Windows 10 after update on Aug 9

Hi Brenda,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below,

• Do you have a Windows 10 copy of the operating system?

I suggest you check whether the Bit locker is ON or OFF using the steps below.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on your device? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

• Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

• Choose Settings.

• Choose Control Panel.

• Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.
    Also I suggest you to enable the WinRE so that you can enter the bit locker key and proceed.

When WinRE is disabled, you cannot enable BitLocker, and you receive an error message that resembles the following.

This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker.

The solution would be to manually enable the windows recovery environment:

• Copying the winre.wim file from c:\windows\system32\recovery\ to a folder on a recovery partition. (The partition need to have a drive letter at this point.)

• Set the RE Image path. Example: reagentc /setreimage /path r:\recovery\windowsre

• Enable RE with command: reagentc /enable

• (You may remove the drive letter for the recovery partition after you have done this.)

• Bit locker will be enabled.
    If the issue still persists, suggest you to post your query on the below link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled

1. NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled - Similar Threads - NVME write performance

2. NVME Not showing up after bitlocker performed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVME Not showing up after bitlocker performed: Hi,I am having problem with NVME disk, I applied bitlocker to the disk and while the process was running pc got stuck a bit and then once it was released. I am unable to see the drive in my computerunable to see the disk under the device manager and neither in the bios drive...
  3. NVME Not showing up after bitlocker performed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVME Not showing up after bitlocker performed: Hi,I am having problem with NVME disk, I applied bitlocker to the disk and while the process was running pc got stuck a bit and then once it was released. I am unable to see the drive in my computerunable to see the disk under the device manager and neither in the bios drive...
  4. Why dos Bitlocker destroy NVMe SSD performance for me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why dos Bitlocker destroy NVMe SSD performance for me?: Hi,I have a faily powerful machine i7-11800H, 64GB RAM with a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB latest Firmware running on Windows 11 Pro 21H2. I decided to enable Bitlocker and found out that it drastically cuts performance. Now I am aware that even with AES-NI, some performance loss is...
  5. Why dos Bitlocker destroy NVMe SSD performance for me?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why dos Bitlocker destroy NVMe SSD performance for me?: Hi,I have a faily powerful machine i7-11800H, 64GB RAM with a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB latest Firmware running on Windows 11 Pro 21H2. I decided to enable Bitlocker and found out that it drastically cuts performance. Now I am aware that even with AES-NI, some performance loss is...
  6. Sudden dramatic drop in NVMe performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden dramatic drop in NVMe performance: Hi Community,I have the following setup: Windows 10 Pro 20H2, Build 19042.1348, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0, MEG X570S ACE MAX + Ryzen 9 5950X, 32GB of TridentZ Royal DD4 F4-4000C15D-16GTRG and two NVMe's: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro installed in PCIE_1 CPU and...
  7. Macrium write performance.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium write performance.: Which setting is for the best performance for creating an image? File system cache or direct disk I/O, bit confused here. [img] OS 2004 build 19645.1 Thanks. 158231
  8. Bitlocker Not Enabling

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Not Enabling: I just started up Bitlocker, and completed most of the process, but the program ever got around to encrypting. I assume this is due to system administrator lock-out, but I've confirmed I have sys admin privileges. This is a brand-new computer without a network. Attached is...
  9. Enabling BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enabling BitLocker: On my personal laptop, I'm trying to turn on BitLocker and I get this notice. Does anyone know and have any detailed instructions on how I can do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/enabling-bitlocker/5ff617a2-e9da-44ea-827f-131e28056882"
  10. NVMe Performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NVMe Performance: Crystal Disk Mark was never good with SSD drives. This one AS SSD Benchmark 2.0.6485 Download - TechSpot and Samsung Magician are more valuable.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how much affect bitoocker to nvme spped

2. bitlocker performance impact nvme

3. bitlocker transfer speed nvme

4. bitlocker nvme performance,
  5. nvme bitlocker performance