Windows 10: O&o defrag not disk activity

Discus and support O&o defrag not disk activity in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Had anybody run into issues with using zoning/complete, where it stop defraging. Like it stalls and no disk activity for hours. Or goes to a craw.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dskiller, Feb 22, 2019.

1. dskiller Win User

O&o defrag not disk activity

Had anybody run into issues with using zoning/complete, where it stop defraging. Like it stalls and no disk activity for hours. Or goes to a craw.

Newest version.
    Ran chkdsk /f
    Sfc scannow
    Ran dism repair
    All came back clean

I just wondering it does it because it's a mechanical 2tb system drive and has 300gb left on it.

:)

dskiller, Feb 22, 2019

2. O&O Defrag

I'm not familiar with O&O defrag. I use Piriform Defraggler when needed, otherwise the Windows utility does the job on a schedule.

The time it takes for a certain utility could be very long, depending on what it does. Some organize files on the disk by file type - very long!

You won't get a very big boost from defragging the system unless your disk is slow (5400 RPM) and fragmented over 8%.

Norton used to have a defrag that placed entries in the registry to "speed up the system" by keeping executables towards the front of the drive - it was a pain to remove because of that.

SSDs do not need to be defragged.

My advice is to let O&O finish, then never use it again. It sounds as though it might be one of those overkill utilities. These overkill utilities do more than is necessary because they think it is better. By the third or fourth boot, most the those "improved" defrag features are undone - that's the nature of disks - they get re-written as files are used or updated.

Slartybart, Feb 22, 2019
  3. Tepid Win User
    O&O Defrag

In my opinion, defrag utilities like that aren't needed anymore, since Win Vista. The system defrags in the background by default, yes i know only certain size files. but, I have not noticed any need to defrag since forever. If you are going to use a utility like that, you should disable Windows Defrag from Task Schedule. I use SSD's now so, it obsolete to me. Also, could be that the defrag got stuck on an open file.

Tepid, Feb 22, 2019
  4. jamos316 Win User

O&O Defrag

I downloade & installed the trial version of O&O Defragmenter tool. I started a defrag last night at midnight setting it to do a 'Complete/Modfied' which I read is the best drag which will give you a faster boot time (which is what i want). it has now been 10 hours and it is only on 44% complete.
    anyone know why it is taking so long?
    is it to do with this being the technical preview

jamos316, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

1. O&o defrag not disk activity - Similar Threads - O&o defrag disk

2. o,

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    o,: im trying to troubleshoot in my activation settings and it gives me error 0x8007000D. im trying to reactivate windows after hardware change without a key. please can ayone help me ive talked to support for 3+ hours and didnt solve the problem...
  3. Disk I/O error on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk I/O error on startup: Recently I had an issue where my pc was slow to start up. I managed to determine that it was due to my external hard drive, as when trying to access it I got the device I/O error. I have noticed that windows starts fine if the drive isn't plugged in at startup. But here's the...
  4. Disk I/O FUBARed by update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk I/O FUBARed by update: Everything was more or less okay with my Win10 laptop for 1.5 years. Then suddenly after the .5GB cumulative update from April for my already installed 2004, these problems arose: -disk usage is almost always 100%. Transfer rate is usually low, as <50KB/s. 'System' (PID4) is...
  5. O&O Shutup10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    O&O Shutup10: Hello all. Has anyone used O&O Shutup10 for Win 10 security enhancement? (1909) Thanks. 149061
  6. O&O Diskimage giveaway

O&O Diskimage giveaway: O&O fans might be interested in the new O&O Diskimage Pro v15 - available on special for £8 ( or $10 ) O&O Software - special There is also O&O Diskimage Pro v12 available free. Lots of options including imaging to their regular format, or to vhd ( V15 also does vhdx ). Also...
  7. O&O Defrag

O&O Defrag: I downloade & installed the trial version of O&O Defragmenter tool. I started a defrag last night at midnight setting it to do a 'Complete/Modfied' which I read is the best drag which will give you a faster boot time (which is what i want). it has now been 10 hours and it is...
  8. o&o vs piriform

o&o vs piriform: Who makes the better desktop solutions overall? I'm thinking of getting a suite of software as a xmas gift to someone, from one of these two. Question is, they make pretty similar software from the looks of it, but who's performs better? 32729
  9. O&O DiskImage

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    O&O DiskImage: o&o frequently have offers on their products. I've always like their defragger in the past.
  10. O&O Shutup10 - privacy freeware

O&O Shutup10 - privacy freeware: OO ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10 95837