Windows 10: O&O Shutup10 - privacy freeware

Discus and support O&O Shutup10 - privacy freeware in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; OO ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10 95837 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SIW2, Oct 18, 2017.

1. SIW2 Win User

O&O Shutup10 - privacy freeware

2. Can't Install Microsoft Jigsaw

What is "O&O ShutUp10"?

Jethrobones, Oct 18, 2017
  3. Cjm0094 Win User
    Can't Install Microsoft Jigsaw

So it ended up being because I had "O&O ShutUp10" installed. Updated it and it worked

Cjm0094, Oct 18, 2017
  4. Kol12 Win User

Kol12, Mar 19, 2018
  5. RickC Win User
    Yes, it's easy to understand, very easy to use and you can export/import your own personal configuration.

This lets you automate the settings on other devices by using the exported .CFG file as an import parameter (together with the /quiet switch so there's no visual confirmation or need for user input).

For example, I always create a C:\Support folder for portable utilities and have the following single-line .BAT:

Code: c:\support\shutup10.exe c:\support\myshutup10.cfg /quiet[/quote] I can't see anything in ShutUp10 that can't be done personally by scripting but it's just easier to use ShutUp10.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 19, 2018
  6. Hi,
    Yes the recommended settings are pretty harmless *Smile
    Although it doesn't pickup setting that are already changed very well
    Drivers from win updates for example which I had changed in group policy....

ThrashZone, Mar 19, 2018
  7. Kol12 Win User
    So a red switch indicates features that are turned on correct? Kind of seems back to front. It's amazing how much stuff I have turned on.

Some people have mentioned having difficulty undoing changes by toggling the switch again or using the undo all option. Is this still a known issue or has it been addressed in newer versions? Is this part of the reason for having the system restore option - to make a restore point in case the undo feature doesn't work?

Kol12, Mar 20, 2018
  8. RickC Win User

We're subconsciously conditioned to associate red with warnings... so each individual setting is set to red initially as a warning of Win 10 data leakage using MS' default settings.

I wasn't aware of the issues you mentioned but I think using System Restore is both for speed and completeness... plus it's just good practice when making changes to the registry. That is, it prevents the need to save the registry and save the state of scheduled tasks separately... with the risk that one or more may be forgotten.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 20, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    You may find certain odd quirks arise if you apply all settings to turn things off. From seeing
    some settings are managed by your organization
    in Settings, perhaps, to suddenly finding some odd thing isn't behaving as it should.

If you do, rather than post questions here, first try restoring settings to default and try again.

Maybe it's been improved since I tried it way back.

This isn't the only such tool. Personally- fear of data leaking is overdone in this instance. But then,see the news about Facebook... but that's quite different- where users deliberately put data onto servers.

No- it's to restore your system files, registry, drivers, and the state of your installed programs to how they were at the date the restore point was created. Assuming it succeeds, which is not guaranteed.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2018
  10. RickC Win User
    One thing to remember is that ShutUp10 changes the StartupType of Win 10's primary telemetry service (DiagTrack) but doesn't actually shut it down until you restart.

I use the following AutoHotkey script to correct this:
    Code: ; Prompt to 'Run as Admin', i.e. show UAC dialog If Not A_IsAdmin { Run *RunAs "%A_ScriptFullPath%" ; Requires v1.0.92.01+ ExitApp } #SingleInstance ; Allow only one instance SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory RunWait, shutup10.exe %A_ScriptDir%\myshutup10.cfg /quiet ; Apply the config RunWait,sc stop "DiagTrack",,hide ; Whilst the StartType for the DiagnosticsTracking service is now disabled, it's still running... so stop it MsgBox, 64, O&O Shutup10 Automatic Immuniser, Done! All config settings have been applied.`nThe DiagTrack service has been stopped and disabled. ExitApp[/quote]
    Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 20, 2018
  11. Kol12 Win User
    Would you like to further iterate on that? I suppose it's up to the individual to decide on what they find too invasive.

This program does offer a lot more insight into the Win 10 privacy settings compared to the standard Windows settings. For every one single Windows privacy setting there is probably 10 types of things that are happening in the background related to that setting!

Kol12, Mar 23, 2018
  12. swarfega Win User
    Its just telemetry data such as what programs you used and for how long to help them decide on the next features. Whether you decide that's invasive is up to the individual.

swarfega, Mar 23, 2018
  13. Superfly Win User

It's more than using data to improve the system (Google knows all about monetization of information) but how does that matter?

One agrees to a EULA that specifies data is to be collected when using Win 10... right?

Superfly, Mar 23, 2018
  14. swarfega Win User
    It wouldnt be so bad if they published exactly what they take.

swarfega, Mar 23, 2018
  15. ron3033 Win User
    How do I get the settings back to "initial state" which I tried months ago...... but I made some changes a week ago a friend suggested. Now when a download completes I no longer get the audio chime a download is completed, which is handy if you are in another window or away from the computer.
    I assume it only puts my computer settings back, and not indo Windows10 Updates??

I have a word pad file with a long string of letters and numbers going left to right across the screen, actually about 68 to 70 combinations long. Like this>>> " Initial State=S001 -|S002 -|S003 -|S004 -|S005 -|S008 -|S009 -|S0............... "
    Any help welcomed as I need my download completed chime working. Instructions not too technical will be useful. Thank You

ron3033, Mar 23, 2018
Thema:

1. O&O Shutup10 - privacy freeware - Similar Threads - O&O Shutup10 privacy

2. O&O ShutUp10 1.8.1421 safe and clean to install?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    O&O ShutUp10 1.8.1421 safe and clean to install?: Hello, Windows 10 Home 21H1 B19043.1055 O&O ShutUp10 1.8.142 Sha256: bcdc6b364da6986d50dd025aacc3c0c76ada16657b829406cee67b4e6f16b89a I scan @VT OOSU10.exe and there is a lot of detection and rule set that does not look good for me is the OOSU10.exe or the portable safe and...
  3. Adjusting privacy and security settings - O&O ShutUp10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Adjusting privacy and security settings - O&O ShutUp10: I'm a user of both Windows and Linux (in recent years mostly the latter). I have recently upgraded a couple of my systems from the now EOL Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro. I like to think I am conscientious about privacy and security without being obsessive or paranoid. I get the...
  4. O&O ShutUp10 being overridden by Windows constantly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    O&O ShutUp10 being overridden by Windows constantly: I would do ANYTHING at this point to disable Automatic Windows Updates. I have no idea how to do so, and clearly this program is not the answer. I have turned off the option for a Windows Update frequently within O&O Shutup10, but a few days pass and I get the unavoidable...
  5. Turning on Windows Defender after using O&O ShutUp10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning on Windows Defender after using O&O ShutUp10: Hello, I used to use Avast as my antivirus, but got tired of it so I wanted to go back to using Windows Defender. I had disabled Defender using O&O ShutUp10 to avoid conflicts between the two. Alongside an antivirus software I use Malwarebytes. I uninstalled Avast using its...
  6. Windows privacy tool O&O ShutUp10 is ready for Windows 10 version 2004

in Windows 10 News
    Windows privacy tool O&O ShutUp10 is ready for Windows 10 version 2004: O&O ShutUp10 is a long-standing privacy tool for Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system. The initial version of the program was released in 2015, our first review dates back to 2017 and we have updated it in late 2019. The program has received frequent updates to ensure...
  7. O&O Shutup10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    O&O Shutup10: Hello all. Has anyone used O&O Shutup10 for Win 10 security enhancement? (1909) Thanks. 149061
  8. O&O ShutUp10 updated with new privacy features

in Windows 10 News
    O&O ShutUp10 updated with new privacy features: O&O, the developers behind the privacy tool O&O ShutUp10 for Windows 10, released a new version of the program yesterday. O&O ShutUp10 1.7 introduces the new Activity History and Clipboard group to the program to provide its users with activity and clipboard privacy...
  9. O&O ShutUp10 & Malwarebytes Premium Updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    O&O ShutUp10 & Malwarebytes Premium Updates: I'm using O&O ShutUp10 to control some Win10 privacy settings. I am using the recommended settings. I noticed it is preventing Malwarebytes from updating. When I revert OOSU10 to factory default, i.e. no changes to the default Win10 environment, Malwarebytes updates fine....
  10. O & O shutup10 data mining disabler

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    O & O shutup10 data mining disabler: . OO ShutUp10 - Do not use Windows 10 without it! | NotebookReview hope that's ok putting the link in quotes....O&O produce a free, portable app that allows the data mining properties of Windows 10 to be disabled .... wondered ed if anyone had any experience of this.....