Windows 10: Obnoxiously long windows update (updating for over six hours). Help?

Discus and support Obnoxiously long windows update (updating for over six hours). Help? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/KineticTheories [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/KineticTheories, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Obnoxiously long windows update (updating for over six hours). Help?

/u/KineticTheories, Mar 11, 2021
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Mar 11, 2021
  3. Hockster Win User
    Windows 7 update help needed

Language packs should be listed in the optional updates section of Windows Update.

As for installing Win 7, it should merely ask for the qualifying media to be inserted to the dvd drive. That's what XP upgrade install discs did when there wasn't a previous OS installed.

Hockster, Mar 11, 2021
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Obnoxiously long windows update (updating for over six hours). Help?

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

Obnoxiously long windows update (updating for over six hours). Help?

1. Obnoxiously long windows update (updating for over six hours). Help? - Similar Threads - Obnoxiously long update

2. KB5031358 Windows Update downloading over an hour?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5031358 Windows Update downloading over an hour?: I had to factory restore my PC and all the other updates have installed but KB5031358 has been on 91% for over an hour now.How long should I leave it?Can I restart the device as Windows Update is telling me to? I’m not sure if I should with this update not installed.Some...
  3. KB5031358 Windows Update downloading over an hour?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5031358 Windows Update downloading over an hour?: I had to factory restore my PC and all the other updates have installed but KB5031358 has been on 91% for over an hour now.How long should I leave it?Can I restart the device as Windows Update is telling me to? I’m not sure if I should with this update not installed.Some...
  4. Cannot update and long start times, caused by updating in inactive hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot update and long start times, caused by updating in inactive hours: Around 5 days ago I left my computer on at night, woke up to it constantly restarting at the lock screen, didn't pay any mind as it happened once before and moved on. Today I did it again and this time it was doing it but now the computer takes around 6 minutes to boot at the...
  5. Cannot update and long start times, caused by updating in inactive hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot update and long start times, caused by updating in inactive hours: Around 5 days ago I left my computer on at night, woke up to it constantly restarting at the lock screen, didn't pay any mind as it happened once before and moved on. Today I did it again and this time it was doing it but now the computer takes around 6 minutes to boot at the...
  6. Cannot update and long start times, caused by updating in inactive hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Update stuck on 30% for over 12 hours

Update stuck on 30% for over 12 hours: Hi, I received a notification that my version of windows 10 needed to be updated. I restarted my PC as instructed at approximately 10pm. By 2am, the update was at 30%. It has remained on this for the last 12 hours. Do I just let it continue and see if the update finishes or...
  8. Build 18277 Install over six hours

Build 18277 Install over six hours: The update started with getting things ready, then downloading, then installing and then it went back to getting things ready. Thanks, Tony https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/build-18277-install-over-six-hours/29632fc9-4a0e-41f4-b3cb-6f144f51c25a
  9. Updates running for over an hour

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates running for over an hour: I booted my other laptop which I have not used for two months and checked for updates. It immediately started downloading updates and, I assume, installing them. It has been running for over an hour and the h/d light is still blinking steadily, so something is still going on....
  10. Update taking over an hour?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update taking over an hour?: Before I went to bed, I clicked to shut off my side computer (OS: Windows 10), and saw "Update and Shut down" as an option so I clicked that and went to bed. I woke up 8 hours later about 7pm, and I turned on my side computer and saw "Working on updates 0%". It has been over...