Windows 10: Obtained one used HDD - W10 Password Protected - Accessing?

Discus and support Obtained one used HDD - W10 Password Protected - Accessing? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi folks - The other day, I received a 3.5 WD 500GB SATA HDD for forensic examination. I connected the drive to a W10 System using a SATA to USB 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Compumind, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Compumind Win User

Obtained one used HDD - W10 Password Protected - Accessing?

Hi folks -

The other day, I received a 3.5 WD 500GB SATA HDD for forensic examination.

I connected the drive to a W10 System using a SATA to USB 3 adapter and was able to mount it.
    Then I tried to boot the W10 drive from directly from the USB adapter with success, until I reached the login screen requesting the password.

In this scenario, with a raw drive and connected by USB 3.0 at that, what would be the best way to strip the password?

Remember, I am booting off the USB attached raw drive.

Thanks!

*Rolleyes

:)

Compumind, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Compumind Win User

Hi folks -

The other day, I received a 3.5 WD 500GB SATA HDD for forensic examination.

I connected the drive to a W10 System using a SATA to USB 3 adapter and was able to mount it.
    Then I tried to boot the W10 drive from directly from the USB adapter with success, until I reached the login screen requesting the password.

In this scenario, with a raw drive and connected by USB 3.0 at that, what would be the best way to strip the password?

Remember, I am booting off the USB attached raw drive.

I have an idea, but best to get some opinions, first.

Thanks!

*Rolleyes

Compumind, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Obtained one used HDD - W10 Password Protected - Accessing?

If it is just a local account, you can simply change the password, eg using utilman method, there are tons of videos on youtube. Since it is just a secondary HDD, simply find and overwrite utilman.exe with CMD.exe and then you can run CMD with SYSTEM rights at logon and change or remove the password (*).
    Code:

If it is an online account, you can enable built-in-admin and try to access files from there.

TairikuOkami, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Compumind Win User

Hacking, Samuria?

No, I don't think so. *Confused

Rather than take my client's entire system, I just used the HDD.
    Her ex-partner changed the password.

I just need to reset to a generic string, make sure certain files are there where she specified and back into the machine, it goes.

Yes, I have some tools, but doing this via USB is unique to me.

If anyone would like to PM me in confidence, please do so.

Otherwise, I will have proceed back on her PC.

TIA

Compumind, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Obtained one used HDD - W10 Password Protected - Accessing? - Similar Threads - Obtained used HDD

2. Able to access a password protected webdav using Edge browser, but unable to mount as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Able to access a password protected webdav using Edge browser, but unable to mount as...: I have set up a webdav on a remote linux server which I can access by providing username and password through the Edge browserBut I am unable to mount as a network drive - the credentials I give the same as in Edge are never accepted...
  3. Able to access a password protected webdav using Edge browser, but unable to mount as...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Able to access a password protected webdav using Edge browser, but unable to mount as...: I have set up a webdav on a remote linux server which I can access by providing username and password through the Edge browserBut I am unable to mount as a network drive - the credentials I give the same as in Edge are never accepted...
  4. Clone password protected hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone password protected hdd: Hi, I bought a used laptop but the hard drive has a password and I can't get passed the bios screen where it says to enter hdd password. If I was to clone the hdd does the password also get transferred to the clone hdd? If not can I use that hdd instead?...
  5. Clone password protected hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone password protected hdd: Hi, I bought a used laptop but the hard drive has a password and I can't get passed the bios screen where it says to enter hdd password. If I was to clone the hdd does the password also get transferred to the clone hdd? If not can I use that hdd instead?...
  6. Protect W10 Computer from password being changed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Protect W10 Computer from password being changed: I’m afraid I already know the answer but I’ll ask anyway. We have an older relative that we watch over because she lives alone and is not able to successfully manage her life on her own. She lives 120 miles away and A computer is an important tool to help us manage things...
  7. Obtain forgotten PC password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Obtain forgotten PC password: I have my PC set to boot without typing my password. Now it seems I've forgotten what it was as I was trying to connect from a old Mac to my PC but it rejects what I thought was my password. *DohIs there a simple way to find it? 115882
  8. Obtain forgotten PC password

Obtain forgotten PC password: I have my PC set to boot without typing my password. Now it seems I've forgotten what it was as I was trying to connect from a old Mac to my PC but it rejects what I thought was my password. *DohIs there a simple way to find it? 115882
  9. Password protect a folder W10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password protect a folder W10: Hi. looking for a password manager to protect a folder in my documents,Did some search and came across this one that I found on inserting password protect a folder into the search box top right. Does any one know anything about this software Please or any other similar...
  10. Can't access shared folder with password protection on

Can't access shared folder with password protection on: As I said in the title I can't access a shared folder with password protection on but I can with password protection off. Also I can't stop sharing, when I click the button to stop sharing nothing happens. Thanks in advance. 43682