Windows 10: Occasional PC freeze

Discus and support Occasional PC freeze in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the past 2 days my PC has frozen a couple of times each day. Brief system spec.: Windows 10 Pro V.1909 (Build 18363.900). Reverted from 2004 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tpriest, Jun 21, 2020.

1. tpriest Win User

Occasional PC freeze

In the past 2 days my PC has frozen a couple of times each day.

Brief system spec.:
    • Windows 10 Pro V.1909 (Build 18363.900). Reverted from 2004 10 days ago, suspected Macrium Reflect problem (not the case)
    • AV: Kaspersky Free
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3 (Socket 1156)
    • RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
    • CPU: Intel i5 760 2.80GHz
    • Graphice: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
    • C: drive - Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB ATA
    • D: drive - Western Digital 2TB black
    • E: drive - (USB) Western Digital 2TB My Passport
    Yesterday:
    • Some 20 minutes after booting it froze. Mouse LED went out, screen stayed showing whatever it had been. No keyboard response (forgot to see if keyboard lights were on).
    • Restarted. After 10 minutes or so the same again.
    • Restarted. No problems for the several hours it was on. I kept Speccy running to keep an eye on various temperatures, nothing out of the ordinary.
    Today

• Some 8-10 minutes after booting it froze. Same signs & symptoms as yesterday.
    • Restarted. Part way through booting, may have still been in BIOS it stopped and restarted.
    • No problems in the >6 hours since.
    Speccy continues to show no unusual temperatures.

Running Crystal Disk Info appears to be all ok

Occasional PC freeze [​IMG]

Crystal Disk Mark also show no problems for the D: drive
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 x64 (C) 2007-2019 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World: Crystal Dew World
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes
    [Read]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 174.927 MB/s [ 166.8 IOPS] < 47698.76 us>
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 171.960 MB/s [ 164.0 IOPS] < 6094.14 us>
    Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 0.876 MB/s [ 213.9 IOPS] <644905.04 us>
    Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 0.747 MB/s [ 182.4 IOPS] < 5464.75 us>

[Write]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 169.451 MB/s [ 161.6 IOPS] < 49138.10 us>
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 169.462 MB/s [ 161.6 IOPS] < 6180.67 us>
    Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 2.166 MB/s [ 528.8 IOPS] <399412.65 us>
    Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 2.153 MB/s [ 525.6 IOPS] < 1899.61 us>

Profile: Default
    Test: 1 GiB (x5) [Interval: 5 sec] <DefaultAffinity=DISABLED>
    Date: 2020/06/21 14:29:59 OS: Windows 10 Professional [10.0 Build 18363] (x64)
    Nothing showing in the Event Log apart from during restart a message that the system had closed down unexpectedly, no other information.

One other thing I noticed when digging around I ran msinfo32. It showedInstalled Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GBTotal Physical Memory 3.99 GB
    Wondering if this suggested a RAM issue I rebooted into BIOS setup to see if there was anything odd. All looked ok so exited without saving any inadvertent changes. On restarting the Total Physical Memory is showing 7.99GB. While the Available Physical Memory will fluctuate depending on system activity, I wouldn't have expected the Total Physical Memory to be anything other than 8GB (near enough).
    It occurs to me that seeing that on both days the freezes occurred soon after the morning boot whether there's some system activity that is causing the problem.

I'm not sure where to look further. Any ideas?

:)

tpriest, Jun 21, 2020
  2. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jun 21, 2020
  3. Occasional windows 10 laptop freezes

My Hp laptop with windows 10 build 14393.693 occasionally will freeze. I then must hold down the start button to turn it off. When I check the event viewer I notice event 10016 DistributedComm occurs in groups of 3, Also event 4 'wcifs' and event 17 Whea-Logger

referring to a corrected error having occured, PCI Express Root Port. My PC is a new HP Pavillion. I am not an expert with PCs but I wonder if the event viewer listings might give a clue. The freeze up usually occurs while I am online but once it happened
    when the PC was in sleep mode, it could not be brought up.

Thank you for any help. I really want to resolve this issue.

Billy Choate, Jun 21, 2020
  4. Occasional PC freeze

PC Freezes

Hello,

To isolate your Windows 10 freezing issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Aside from this error, are you also getting other error codes or messages?
    • Where do you usually experience this freezing issue? Is it during startup?
    • Other troubleshooting steps you've tried so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Michelle Vil, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

Occasional PC freeze

1. Occasional PC freeze - Similar Threads - Occasional freeze

2. Since the last few days, voice dictation freezes up occasionally, requiring a system restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Since the last few days, voice dictation freezes up occasionally, requiring a system restart: It is also possible to restart it by right clicking on the task bar, going into the Task Manager, typing 'input' into the search bar and ending the Windows input Experience task. I am a frequent user of this feature of Windows, and it's really annoying how lately it stops...
  3. Since the last few days, voice dictation freezes up occasionally, requiring a system restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Since the last few days, voice dictation freezes up occasionally, requiring a system restart: It is also possible to restart it by right clicking on the task bar, going into the Task Manager, typing 'input' into the search bar and ending the Windows input Experience task. I am a frequent user of this feature of Windows, and it's really annoying how lately it stops...
  4. What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...: There is one desk in our office in particular that has an ongoing issue with monitors briefly going black at random intervals. We haven't been able to find a solution for almost 2 years now. I believe the behavior has changed over time, but currently only one of the three...
  5. What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...: There is one desk in our office in particular that has an ongoing issue with monitors briefly going black at random intervals. We haven't been able to find a solution for almost 2 years now. I believe the behavior has changed over time, but currently only one of the three...
  6. What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...

7. My WiFi adapter keeps disabling automatically, and my Windows system freezes occasionally.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My WiFi adapter keeps disabling automatically, and my Windows system freezes occasionally.: My Asus Tuf F15FX506LI Gaming laptop Mediatek wireless adapter MT 7921 wifi 6 just randomly disables itself after I open my laptop I did many troubleshoots and restarting my laptop and even making a network reset uninstalling the drivers and downloading them back I had this...
  8. My WiFi adapter keeps disabling automatically, and my Windows system freezes occasionally.

My WiFi adapter keeps disabling automatically, and my Windows system freezes occasionally.: My Asus Tuf F15FX506LI Gaming laptop Mediatek wireless adapter MT 7921 wifi 6 just randomly disables itself after I open my laptop I did many troubleshoots and restarting my laptop and even making a network reset uninstalling the drivers and downloading them back I had this...
  9. Why does my Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous ?: My Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous in multiplayer mode.It is completely stable with applications, other games and in every other situation.It only freezes from time to time in that game and only in multiplayer mode <> 4 times since last...
  10. Why does my Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous ?

Why does my Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous ?: My Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous in multiplayer mode.It is completely stable with applications, other games and in every other situation.It only freezes from time to time in that game and only in multiplayer mode <> 4 times since last...