Windows 10: Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons

Discus and support Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think I posted about this before with no solution, but I discovered another element that I hope will be familiar to someone or lead to an answer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitpzyxmsir, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons

I think I posted about this before with no solution, but I discovered another element that I hope will be familiar to someone or lead to an answer.

This only affects desktop taskbar buttons to file explorer folders, not buttons to programs or browsers.

I will click on a file explorer taskbar button expecting it to open the window, and nothing happens. It could be only one or two buttons among multiple buttons currently residing on the taskbar, but there is no response when they are clicked, while the remaining buttons work properly. It is random. There is no pattern I can see, but sometimes seem to occur coincidentally when I have my Firefox chrome folder open. What that indicates, I don't know.

I can right click on the individual button and choose "close window" from the drop down menu. When reopened, it will behave normally. It is more likely to reoccur for the same window, or may not.

Another odd thing I found. Normally, when you do a mouse over on any one of multiple taskbar buttons to display the multiple thumbnails, you can select the thumbnail and open the window by left clicking on the thumbnail. But when I have a button that refuses to open, the thumbnail related to it is unresponsive as well to a left click.

However, If I right click on it, the window opens. Weird.

I just did a fresh reinstall. It was happening before, and it's happening again. My system is simple and clean. The setting "Combine Taskbar Buttons" is set to "never".

I'm hoping someone recognizes something about this.

thanks

:)

kitpzyxmsir, Jul 17, 2019
  2. borate Win User

OPEN odd behavior for a single program

borate, Jul 17, 2019
  3. Cyberkhan Win User
    Desktop has a strange look and behavior!

Hello,

There has been a lot of changes on my desktop view. I have no idea how and why the following changes took place of my Windows unexpectedly. It has happened suddenly last week while I was working in my laptop, before the changes that took affect on my desktop
    view - everything looked fine since I upgraded Windows 10 last year. The major changes are:

• Desktop: Desktop icons including all shortcuts are not visible anymore though 'Show desktop icons' is marked as checked. My desktop is occupied by
      Virtual Desktop (in full screen with live tiles), context menu cannot view by pressing the keyboard button or right clicking on desktop.

• Virtual desktop: My virtual desktop has gone in full screen and cannot resize from the
      Start, before changes it was not full.

• All apps open in full screen. 'Restore down' button does not work, for some apps - 'Minimize button' does not work. For many apps 'Close button' can only be visible while hover over the pointer and then the bar slide down with close (X)
      button visible.

• Taskbar: Taskbar auto hide does not work properly. Taskbar looks odd. It is not only because there are too many pinned items in taskbar. The problem is the 'Back arrow' key is staying at taskbar which is suppose to be in bottom of 'All
      apps' list. And the search icon also in the taskbar, which should not be there because I removed it from the options. The major problem is I cannot look for taskbar
      'Properties'. Because it is gone and replaced by an unknown menu when I right click the taskbar.
    I have taken 'Cumulative updates' for my Windows yesterday. It does not help fix the problems yet. I am sharing some screenshots of all screen views of the issues including last Windows update lists in the folder from OneDrive for better understanding.

Here is the link:
    http://1drv.ms/1LdXMrP

I seek your expert advice on this issue, please. Any help on this will be thankfully appreciated.

Very best regards,

Cyberkhan, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons

Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Steps:

1. Using HDMI for a second monitor.
    2. Open start menu using the icon.
    3. Close start menu using the icon.
    4. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop)
    5. Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden.
    6. Taskbar then immediately slides up to reappear.

If after closing the start menu (step 3), you click on the taskbar, then click outside the taskbar, this behavior does not occur.

Performing the steps on the main monitor's taskbar does not produce this behavior.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember using this laptop (~3years), with different nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates.

Dreaming Void, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons

1. Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons - Similar Threads - Odd behavior desktop

2. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  3. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  4. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Odd and annoying behavior with Remote Desktop and 2 screens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd and annoying behavior with Remote Desktop and 2 screens: OK I've got a small but annoying behavior with latest AMD Graphic driver with my 2 screen setup using remote desktop for work. When I connect to RDP, I'm full screen with the 2 screens. Whenever I get out (Ctrl+Alt+Home) without reducing the window, I place it on my second...
  6. Very odd taskbar behavior going on.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Very odd taskbar behavior going on.: Since turning on my computer today I cannot right click icons on my taskbar and it is always on top of every program3 even in fullscreen. I've tried sfc /scannow in command prompt and that returned no integrity violations. I really am at a loss as to what to do next. Never...
  7. Odd login behavior

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Odd login behavior: I'm working on a customer's computer and encountered something I've never seen before. Recently she upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When she goes to type her login password the login executes when she hits the last keystroke of the password. She doesn't have to...
  8. Odd internet behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd internet behavior: We recently had an upgrade to our DSL service from 3mbs to 25mbs which required the modem to be exchanged for a new one. Before the upgrade the internet was working as soon as the PC booted to the desktop. But now, once booted to desktop, it takes another 30 seconds before...
  9. Odd hard drive behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd hard drive behavior: I have one month old 1tb hybrid hard drive and yesterday I was experiencing issues with it. It started to run slower than usual. Games wouldn't load as quickly and when I first booted into windows the desktop icons appeared as blank pieces of paper. Then when I opened...
  10. Taskbar button behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar button behavior: build 14393.231 On my desktop task bar I have pinned shortcuts to Word, excel and Firefox. When I click on the Firefox shortcut, a separate Firefox window button appears. When I select the Word shortcut, it becomes to a Word document button. I know Im bringing up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. odd icons on taskbar