Windows 10: Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar

Discus and support Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For some reason, Windows 10 taskbar is behaving in an odd fashion. I am unable to right click on the icons on the taskbar. I am able to launch the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by starbearer, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar

For some reason, Windows 10 taskbar is behaving in an odd fashion. I am unable to right click on the icons on the taskbar. I am able to launch the application, sure, such as file explorer etc., with the left click, but right clicking on any icon has no effect.

On the other hand, I am not able to left click on any of the icons in the system tray, but I am able to use the right click to bring up the menu. The same goes for the Start button (Windows button).

So in essence, right click on the icons in the taskbar does not work, and the left click on icons in the system tray, does not work. The opposite action on both, works...

I have restarted the system, and restarted the Windows explorer process as well, to no avail.

Kindly advise.

:)

starbearer, Nov 17, 2015

2. Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar

For some reason, Windows 10 taskbar is behaving in an odd fashion. I am unable to right click on the icons on the taskbar. I am able to launch the application, sure, such as file explorer etc., with the left click, but right clicking on any icon has no
    effect.

On the other hand, I am not able to left click on any of the icons in the system tray, but I am able to use the right click to bring up the menu. The same goes for the Start button (Windows button).

So in essence, right click on the icons in the taskbar does not work, and the left click on icons in the system tray, does not work. The opposite action on both, works...

I have restarted the system, and restarted the Windows explorer process as well, to no avail.

Kindly advise.

tigrisofgod, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

1. I booted into safe mode and tried playing around, but the same problems persist, i.e., the right click on the taskbar icons does not work. Left click on the system tray, and the Windows button, does not work.

2. After restarting into normal mode, I did a Scan of the system using sfc /scannow, and it did not report any integrity issues. Once again after the restart, the problem remains. I disabled all but the most essential of services, and that didn't help either.

The OS is kept updated, except the big November update, which I do not wish to download at the moment because of high cost of data. No software or driver was installed, the system was working reasonably well, and I noticed this issue only after a restart.

Kindly advise. Is the creation of a new user the only way? Booting into safe mode, with issues still persisting, does it point to an issue with the user profile?

Thanks again.

tigrisofgod, Nov 17, 2015
  4. Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar

DustSailor, Nov 17, 2015
  5. Windows is fully updated, and the Scan did not report any integrity violations. The laptop was running perfectly fine sometime ago, only after a restart, did i notice this issue.

starbearer, Nov 18, 2015
  6. No malware on the laptop either. I am not sure what the issue could be....

starbearer, Nov 18, 2015
  7. Ah, I just don't know mate. You might wait for some other suggestions, or consider trying an in-place upgrade for the benefit of a repair install. See this: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    - good news is you keep everything, but loose some Windows updates. The last build was just released, so you really shouldn't loose too many updates, since they should be included with the release.

DustSailor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar

1. Odd behaviour from Windows Taskbar - Similar Threads - Odd behaviour Taskbar

2. Odd Trackpad Behaviour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd Trackpad Behaviour: Windows 10 ver 20H2. SONY VAIO laptop with Samsung 860 SSD, 4GB RAM. Initially, the laptop worked fine. Recently an odd problem has surfaced. I prefer to use a wireless mouse (Logitech V450 Nano) which behaves as expected. However, the laptop's own trackpad is (for want of a...
  3. Odd behaviour of Format Painter

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Odd behaviour of Format Painter: Hi folks. I'm getting some very odd behaviour with Format Painter in Word 2016. First of all, I know how format painter works, I have been using it for years! However, on this new installation of both Windows 10 Pro (ver 2004) and MS Office Pro Plus 2016 Version 2005 (Build...
  4. Robocopy Odd behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Robocopy Odd behaviour: I had to replace a drive and once done, I made a backup or the entire drive using robocopy with this command: robocopy "D:" "L:\Drive_D" /R:10 /W:30 /NS /NC /NDL /E /MOT:5 /MT:8 /XD "D:\$RECYCLE.BIN" "D:\System Volume Information" Took a while, the destination drive was an...
  5. Windows Backup - odd behaviour

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup - odd behaviour: I thought I understood Backup but it seems I don't. I have 2 problems: 1. Creating the list of folders to back up is hit or miss. MS Support tells me that I can't change the list without stopping the use of the external drive and re-doing the whole list. They also say that...
  6. Odd WMP behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd WMP behaviour: I burn CD's to use in my car to save wrecking the original disk and have done so for some time now. I now have a little problem that I have never seen before in that in 10 WMP picks the last three tracks and marks them as having a problem with burning. I first thought...
  7. Odd software behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd software behaviour: In my Win10 build 10565 file browser/explorer I usually like to set the folder view to sort by date order. This works fine in Win10 directly. There is sometimes a short delay whilst the folder reorganises itself. However if I THEN use a third party program such as Photoshop...
  8. Odd BSOD behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Odd BSOD behaviour: Hello everyone, and I hope you are all doing well. My laptop has recently been subjected to a few BSODs. The first one was about a few weeks ago. The BSODs typically involved the screen going a pink fuzzy texture (graphics messing up), and restarting. It started showing...
  9. Usb driver odd behaviour?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb driver odd behaviour?: Hi! This is long term issue for me, i was not able to find a clear answer for why this happens, since to me it's not working as intended. So what happens when i use FTDI 230x as Comport and attach or detach USB device to my system, for reason or another RTS signal...
  10. Odd behaviour.

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd behaviour.: I use Windows 10 and I have recently had the most annoying behaviour start happening. Out of nowhere it just started randomly opening the start menu, task manager and auto-clicking the button that initiates scroll with my trackpad. It does it randomly and gets right in my...