Windows 10: Odd ChkDsk error on Win10 64 bit that I have never seen and cannot find adequate info about.

Discus and support Odd ChkDsk error on Win10 64 bit that I have never seen and cannot find adequate info about. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, When running ChkDsk /f or /r, we are repeatedly seeing the error: ---- Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... The allocated length... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidDurlach, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Odd ChkDsk error on Win10 64 bit that I have never seen and cannot find adequate info about.

Hello,

When running ChkDsk /f or /r, we are repeatedly seeing the error:

----
    Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    The allocated length 0xaeb000 is not in multiple of 0x10000 for attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x0.

----

But then at end of ChkDsk report:

----
    Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

----

Additional comments:

1) We get identical results running ChkDsk repeatedly.

2) This error message does not even appear when running ChkDsk without /f or /r, which we find odd since we thought errors should be reported regardless, even though not fixed.

3) Including /v is of no help because no additional information is added to the report (we are on NTFS, not FAT32).

4) We have been running the system for several weeks without obvious problem, but are nervous as the system is going into a 12x7x365 museum environment.

5) We ran SFC /scannow and it detected no errors.

6) We made a copy of the drive and tried to run ChkDsk/f from a Win7 64 bit machine just to see if that would fix the issue, but apparently Win10 and Win7 file structure sufficiently different that that is not possible. (Message in question did not appear, but dozens of other issues not present with Win10 ChkDsk did.)

7) Looked online extensively for info based on message text, but no luck.

8) Ran complete hardware scan of disk using drive manufacture utility - no problems. (And made copies of this drive to others, with identical error, so seems relatively certain that, it this point anyway, it is a software file structure issue, unrelated to disk hardware failure.)

Thoughts, comments, advice? Like:

a) (The probably impossible question of) How nervous should this make us?

b) Might this be a bug in ChkDsk? Not necessarily that we don't indeed have a problem, but that ChkDsk is not fixing it, saying that all OK, etc.?

c) Any quick way to track down offending file? (If a file is even the issue.)
    (We are in process of trying to do by manual binary search, dividing OS partition in half and running ChkDsk /f on it, but that is very tedious...)

Thanks,
    David

:)

DavidDurlach, Dec 12, 2018
  2. Imposter Win User

Dual Boot Win10 64 bit and Win10 32 bit

When I originally installed Win10 I installed the 32 bit version. I have a blank drive, and would like to install the 64 bit version on that, creating a dual boot system.

What are the steps I need to follow? I'm reasonably intelligent but not tech savvy.

Imposter, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Win10 32 bit migration to 64 bit

I have an HP 6200 Pro running perfectly with a fully updated and activated license for Win10 Pro 32 bit. I am contemplating a migration to 64 bit Win10 Pro and have downloaded a 64 bit ISO file on a USB drive which is bootable right now. A 9/15/2015
    Post on "Groovypost.com" says that on a UEFI based PC (as mine is), the USB drive must be made bootable with a utility such as "Rufus" making sure to format it in FAT32 and using the GPT Partitioning scheme. If the USB drive is already bootable, why would
    this be suggested?

Just how it is for UEFI.. Odd ChkDsk error on Win10 64 bit that I have never seen and cannot find adequate info about. :)

Also, MS' directions says that a product key will NOT be required if upgrading (in my case migrating) from an activated copy of Win10. Is this correct and if so, where does the new SW pick up the old activation digital entitlement - from the in place
    activated copy of Win10 32 bit?

The computer configuration is known to Microsoft, and when 64-bit is installed, it takes note and activates automatically. All you have to do is skip the part where you are asked to enter a key code..

Mike Hall... always, Dec 12, 2018
  4. BobMunoz Win User

Odd ChkDsk error on Win10 64 bit that I have never seen and cannot find adequate info about.

Win10 32 bit migration to 64 bit

I have an HP 6200 Pro running perfectly with a fully updated and activated license for Win10 Pro 32 bit. I am contemplating a migration to 64 bit Win10 Pro and have downloaded a 64 bit ISO file on a USB drive which is bootable right now. A 9/15/2015 Post
    on "Groovypost.com" says that on a UEFI based PC (as mine is), the USB drive must be made bootable with a utility such as "Rufus" making sure to format it in FAT32 and using the GPT Partitioning scheme. If the USB drive is already bootable, why would this
    be suggested? Have the updates in the last 5 months made this possible?

Also, MS' directions says that a product key will NOT be required if upgrading (in my case migrating) from an activated copy of Win10. Is this correct and if so, where does the new SW pick up the old activation digital entitlement - from the in place activated
    copy of Win10 32 bit?

Thanks for your time, the MS Community is extremely helpful.

Bob Munoz

BobMunoz, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

Odd ChkDsk error on Win10 64 bit that I have never seen and cannot find adequate info about.

1. Odd ChkDsk error on Win10 64 bit that I have never seen and cannot find adequate info about. - Similar Threads - Odd ChkDsk error

2. BSOD I have never seen before

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD I have never seen before: My computer is a farely powerful computer so I would often put it through a lot at once but when it crashed I was just watching netflix. All of a sudden the screen froze and I couldn't do anything and then shortly after a Blue Screen appeared. Normally I just dismiss these as...
  3. BSOD I have never seen before

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD I have never seen before: My computer is a farely powerful computer so I would often put it through a lot at once but when it crashed I was just watching netflix. All of a sudden the screen froze and I couldn't do anything and then shortly after a Blue Screen appeared. Normally I just dismiss these as...
  4. BSOD I have never seen before

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I Have A Bit Of An Odd Issue...

in Windows 10 Support
    I Have A Bit Of An Odd Issue...: My Main System power settings are set to shut the monitor off after 15 minutes and sleep after 30 minutes for more than a year. "Wired System" But instead of sleep lately, the system shuts right down. I have to hit power, and Im up in 30 seconds. I set the power settings back...
  6. 32bit to 64 bit win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    32bit to 64 bit win10: I have a big problem , I had before 64 bit Win 10 ( with program file x 86 ) and now I have 32 bit win10 ( without program file x86) What should I do? submitted by /u/ritamagarian123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kjf290/32bit_to_64_bit_win10/
  7. Win10 32 bit to 64 bit?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 32 bit to 64 bit?: I have a 32bit version of Windows 10 Home on a Tower PC. It is a self build that had an OEM version of Windows 7 initially that was subsequently ungraded to Windows 10. Its has a Quad Core Phenom processor and still has plenty of Ummph for what I need but I would like to...
  8. Win10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 64 bit: I have an HP laptop that came with win 10 (64 bit) preinstalled. I am not a fan of 10. I installed win 7 64 bit. 7 will not update due to an unsupported device warning. My question is if I format the drive and install 7 (yes I know it is about done) will I keep getting the...
  9. About 64 bit OS??????

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About 64 bit OS??????: My motherboard : Asus. Model:P5QPL-AM. My OS:windows 10 pro 1903. Architecture:32 bit. Currently I have ram:2 GB. If I buy a 4 GB ram and make it 6 GB, Now, is 64 bit OS is useful than 32 bit???? If I buy 2 GB ram and make it 4 GB ram, Now, is 64 bit OS...
  10. Sound card not seen in 32 bit upgrade, seen in 64 bit clean install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound card not seen in 32 bit upgrade, seen in 64 bit clean install: Hi, after I upgraded from Win 8.1, 1. Ashampoo programs would not find my (Conexant SmartAudio 221) sound card - Ashampoo looking into this promising a fix after diagnostics - but for weeks now. 2. Audacity would not run beyond v 2.03 (which is reported by others on their...