Windows 10: Odd File Permissions Problem

Discus and support Odd File Permissions Problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running into an odd file permissions problem. Here's what I did: Purchased new 4 TB SATA drive and installed it in my machine Tried using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mike J Kelly, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Odd File Permissions Problem

I am running into an odd file permissions problem. Here's what I did:

1. Purchased new 4 TB SATA drive and installed it in my machine
    2. Tried using Casper Secure Drive Backup to do a sector copy from the old drive now relabeled M: to the new drive now labelled J: - the same drive letter used previously for my data drive that contains both Dropbox folders along with other stuff. It is bitlockered and Casper is supposed to handle that, but that failed with cryptic errors.
    3. So I fell back on ROBOCOPY:
      1. Bitlocker encrypted the new empty J: 4 TB drive
      2. ROBOcopied the whole contents of M: the old drive with /MOVE which deletes it from the source.
      3. That took about 22 hours, but I just let it run.

Note that prior to this, I had relocated the System Documents and Pictures folder to the Dropbox folder so system Documents is "J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents". This worked fine on the old drive. On the new drive, I'm running into odd file permission errors when I try to write into the special folders. I first encountered this trying to save a picture to the system Pictures relocated to J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Pictures" - it would give me a "file not found" error. Huh? I'mcreating the file. In poking around a bit, I found it also happens in Documents. Here's a simple demonstration just in the command prompt:

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal>cd Documents

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents>echo hi > x
    The system cannot find the file specified.

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents>cd AIT

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT>echo hi > x

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT>cd "AnyCount 3D"

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT\AnyCount 3D>echo hi > x

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT\AnyCount 3D>dir

Volume in drive J is Data2

Volume Serial Number is 1C15-6A9F

Directory of J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT\AnyCount 3D

01/10/2020 12:53 PM <DIR> .

01/10/2020 12:53 PM <DIR> ..

05/03/2019 03:53 PM <DIR> Debug

05/30/2018 11:32 AM <DIR> OCR

01/10/2020 12:53 PM <DIR> Web

0 Files 0 bytes

5 Dirs 2,428,804,755,456 bytes free

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT\AnyCount 3D>

I've checked permissions and they seem reasonable - but it seems like something got corrupted in the Robocopy. I did pass /SECFIX to RoboCopy which is supposed to set security correctly.

Any ideas?

:)

Mike J Kelly, Jan 14, 2020

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Jan 14, 2020
  3. User can't copy files from network share. Permission error.

Seems security essentials wasn't liking the file for the user for some odd reason. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hybrid_theory, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Odd File Permissions Problem

Reset Windows 10 file permissions to default

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you receiving any error message while accessing any files?
    I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Startup troubleshooter.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot

Method 2: If you are facing issues accessing files, then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Odd File Permissions Problem

1. Odd File Permissions Problem - Similar Threads - Odd File Permissions

2. Odd Image Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd Image Files: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  3. Odd Image Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Image Files: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  4. Odd Image Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Odd file problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd file problem: Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance...
  6. Odd file problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd file problem: Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance...
  7. What is this odd file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is this odd file?: I am running Windows 10 Pro which is fully updated. Recently I have noticed an odd file with the name of UpdateLock followed by a series of numbers and letters. The file is located in the Program Data folder, and is 0 Kilobytes in size. If I delete it, it re appears within an...
  8. Odd problem with shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd problem with shortcut: Hi PC Spec as per Computer 1 (desktop) I have created a shortcut to an elevated command prompt which I wish to pin to the start menu. I can pin the shortcut to the start menu but here's the problem. When I double-click on the desktop shortcut (not yet deleted this), it...
  9. odd mouse problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    odd mouse problem: I reinstalled Windows 10 / 1903 on an HP 15 f009wm laptop. I installed the drivers from the HP site and everything works correctly except the mouse, that exhibits only jerky unusable movement, with both wired and wireless mouse. When I check the device manager there is one...
  10. Various Odd Problems.

in Windows 10 Support
    Various Odd Problems.: For starters, I have a pretty badly organised desktop, so my screen is filled with icons. Every now and then, I'll see all of the icons re-render themselves (no idea why - nothing I've done). Here they flash white, then redraw themselves. However, after this, the normal...