Windows 10: Odd file problem

Discus and support Odd file problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Fitzgerald-Squibb, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Odd file problem

Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance

:)

Fitzgerald-Squibb, Sep 29, 2022

2. Audio disappeared - got it back but now have odd mkv problem

Hi. While working at my Windows 10 PC yesterday, I realised there was no sound. My media players gave video only and Avidemux gave a warning “Trouble Initializing Audio Device”. All the obvious checks suggested that there was no problem, drivers were up to date etc.

I went to the sound icon in the system tray and clicked 'Troubleshoot sound problems' which told me it had fixed something but didn't say what. I now have my sound back but with some new issues:

• my WMP no longer plays mkv files
    • my mkv files no longer show a 'thumbnail', just the logo of whichever media player is set to play them.
    Can anyone suggest what on Earth happened yesterday? Many thanks.

UPDATE: I've found one or two mkv files that DO work with WMP and show thumbnails(!!). But the vast majority of my mkv's have the highlighted problem. All very odd...

dortmunder, Sep 29, 2022
  3. sttubs Win User
    Odd monitor problem

Odd monitor problem *NEW INFO*

I have a monitor (listed in my specs) that sometimes does not turn on when the computer is started or brought out of sleep mode. If I unplug the power cord & plug it back in it works fine, no other problems with it at all. Any thoughts? Is it eminently going to fail, should I RMA?

sttubs, Sep 29, 2022
  4. dalchina Win User

Odd file problem

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 29, 2022
Thema:

Odd file problem

1. Odd file problem - Similar Threads - Odd file problem

2. Odd Image Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd Image Files: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  3. Odd Image Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Image Files: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  4. Odd Image Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Odd file problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd file problem: Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance...
  6. What is this odd file?

What is this odd file?: I am running Windows 10 Pro which is fully updated. Recently I have noticed an odd file with the name of UpdateLock followed by a series of numbers and letters. The file is located in the Program Data folder, and is 0 Kilobytes in size. If I delete it, it re appears within an...
  7. Odd problem with shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd problem with shortcut: Hi PC Spec as per Computer 1 (desktop) I have created a shortcut to an elevated command prompt which I wish to pin to the start menu. I can pin the shortcut to the start menu but here's the problem. When I double-click on the desktop shortcut (not yet deleted this), it...
  8. odd mouse problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    odd mouse problem: I reinstalled Windows 10 / 1903 on an HP 15 f009wm laptop. I installed the drivers from the HP site and everything works correctly except the mouse, that exhibits only jerky unusable movement, with both wired and wireless mouse. When I check the device manager there is one...
  9. Odd File Permissions Problem

Odd File Permissions Problem: I am running into an odd file permissions problem. Here's what I did: Purchased new 4 TB SATA drive and installed it in my machine Tried using Casper Secure Drive Backup to do a sector copy from the old drive now relabeled M: to the new drive now labelled J: - the same...
  10. Various Odd Problems.

in Windows 10 Support
    Various Odd Problems.: For starters, I have a pretty badly organised desktop, so my screen is filled with icons. Every now and then, I'll see all of the icons re-render themselves (no idea why - nothing I've done). Here they flash white, then redraw themselves. However, after this, the normal...