Windows 10: Odd folder in Chrome

Discus and support Odd folder in Chrome in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Was looking for something and came across this folder in Chrome. It got me a bit worried so I restored a previous Windows image but when I updated... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by OldGuyFromCdn, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Odd folder in Chrome

Was looking for something and came across this folder in Chrome. It got me a bit worried so I restored a previous Windows image but when I updated Chrome it was back. The folders with male and female names have exactly that, a bunch of names. The password folder has a bunch of random passwords.

Are they just security against common names/passwords maybe ?

:)

OldGuyFromCdn, Oct 11, 2020
  2. creeve4 Win User

Chrome Bookmark Folders are screwed up

This is what I see in Chrome under about:gpu

Graphics Feature Status
    • Canvas: Hardware accelerated
    • 3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
    • Compositing: Hardware accelerated on all pages and threaded
    • CSS Animation: Accelerated and threaded
    • Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
    • Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
    • Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
    • WebGL multisampling: Hardware accelerated
    • Texture Sharing: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
    • Video: Hardware accelerated
    • Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
    • WebGL: Hardware accelerate
    The problem persists even after adding "--disable-gpu --disable-software-rasterizer" to the Chrome.exe shortcut as you suggested.

creeve4, Oct 11, 2020
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Google Chrome Crahses and suspended in task manager

Hi GSsswuw8,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Do you have any antivirus installed on the computer?
    2. Are you aware of making any changes to the computer or browser prior to the issue?

This issue is because of profile data corruption on google chrome or because of cookies, extensions, plugins and History. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to resolve this issue.

Method 1: Rename Google chrome file.

Before proceeding I would suggest you end all the task related to Google Chrome from task manager.

Step 1: Rename Chrome User Data file.

1. Press Windows and
      E key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Navigate to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome.
    3. Search for User data folder. Rename this folder to UserData.old
    4. Open the chrome now and check if it is working.

Note:
    The new user data folder will be created automatically, but
    new profile will not have any of your previous data in it. To access the data back, try signing out and signing in back to the application. Or you have to manually copy the data from old profile.

Step 2: Copy the previous data to New Profile.

I would suggest you end all the task related to Google Chrome from task manager.
    Then follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows and
      E key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Navigate to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\UserData.old\Default.
    3. Open a new tab and navigate to: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default. (Make sure this is the new user data folder)
    4. Now copy the file one by one, once the copy is done. In-between Reopen Chrome browser and check if there is issue same issue.
    5. If the issue reoccurs, then the culprit is one of the file copied above.

Method 2:
    Troubleshoot on google chrome.

Note: The Uninstall and Reinstall option might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added, this will also clear the history, favorites, cookies and password. We recommend
    that you note these sites and settings before you use the Reset on chrome.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Fix Chrome if it crashes or won't open.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Oct 11, 2020
  4. Odd folder in Chrome

Chrome glitch

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description on one of the three users Chrome is not working.
    I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• The account on which you are facing issue with Chrome, does it have the administrator permission?
    • Have you check with other browser? Was the result same?
    • Is the issue specific to only one application or facing issue with other application too?

First, I would suggest you to use Internet Explorer and see if it brings any difference.
    Here are the steps through which you can use Internet Explorer.

• Press the Windows key.

• Type Internet Explorer in the search box.

• Right click on Internet Explorer
      (Desktop app).

• Select Pint to task bar.

• Try to use Internet Explorer from there and see if it brings any difference.

If you still want to use Chrome then I would suggest you to open the application Chrome in administrator mode and see if it brings any difference. Here are the steps through which you can open Chrome in Administrator mode.

• Press the Windows key or click on Start icon.
    • Type Google Chrome.
    • Right click on Google Chrome and select the option to Run As Administrator.
    • If everything works fine by running chrome in administrator mode then you may pin it to the task bar.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

Odd folder in Chrome

1. Odd folder in Chrome - Similar Threads - Odd folder Chrome

2. Some odd folder spaces on Deviantart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some odd folder spaces on Deviantart: I checked every folders on Favorite page, I looked at one of the folders but there up to me four rows and not five. I clicked on Edit page. On edit mode there are three rows. So I just don't understand. I don't know If there must be a glitch. I logged on deviantart on Google...
  3. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  4. Odd text issue with Chrome but not Edge. How to correct?

in Browsers and Email
    Odd text issue with Chrome but not Edge. How to correct?: I have an odd issue with some fonts on the Chrome browser, but only when on a few websites, where some of the fonts look shorter than they should but when using the Edge browser all looks fine. In my attached example it is the lower case "f"s that are too short. There must be...
  5. Odd text size with Google Chrome, not with MS Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Odd text size with Google Chrome, not with MS Edge: I've noticed this odd text display on some sites, but not all, websites using Google Chrome. MS Edge displays the same text correctly. I also use Chromium browser on Ubuntu Linux which displays correctly as well. The website is Canonwatch. The font will display a single "f"...
  6. Odd owner folder name

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd owner folder name: Hello, After having installed win 10, windows has chosen w/o consulting me a concatenation of my 1st name and few characters of my last name as my folder name (the one in c:\users\). Can I change it back to my first name or <first>space<last> or anything sensible? Thank...
  7. Odd problem with 'documents' folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd problem with 'documents' folder.: Hi: Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but today I discovered a really worrying problem. My 'documents' folder suddenly got moved into another folder named 'Doctor Web.' Looking into this, I find that Doctor Web is a piece of security software originating in...
  8. Folder Displaying Oddly In Win Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Displaying Oddly In Win Explorer?: I have a folder, which contains three png image in it and it's being displayed with a black background. [img] This has also occurred, with some png image within a folder as well, but this has never happened to the folder itself. Would anyone know why this folder...
  9. odd folder added that I cannot delete

in Windows 10 Support
    odd folder added that I cannot delete: Greetings Probably after last upgrade to ver.1703 an odd folder was added that I cannot delete. here's the structure: d:\SoftwareDistribution d:\SoftwareDistribution\DeliveryOptimization...
  10. Chrome wont open sometimes, computer is odd on restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Chrome wont open sometimes, computer is odd on restart: Sometimes, Chrome will not open. I can try to click on the icon, click on it from the start menu, or right click and try to open it. The mouse shows that it is loading for a few seconds, but then the mouse returns to normal and Chrome doesn't open. If I restart my computer,...