Windows 10: Odd Home Page Reset Message in Internet Explorer

Discus and support Odd Home Page Reset Message in Internet Explorer in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 machine which has been disconnected from the internet for several weeks while I wait to pull off files and reinstall the OS. Today... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Win20Win, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Win20Win Win User

Odd Home Page Reset Message in Internet Explorer

I have a Windows 10 machine which has been disconnected from the internet for several weeks while I wait to pull off files and reinstall the OS. Today I was checking out an XML file which Windows opened with Internet Explorer, when I saw a strange message in a yellow ribbon/banner at the bottom of the IE window:

"Your default home page was reset by your security software"

If I recall correctly, a second tab had opened almost at the same time as the one displaying the file, which showed the standard 'no internet' message in the middle, with the home page reset banner at the bottom.

I tried opening Internet Explorer a couple more times, and got the same odd message as above, but after that, I have not seen the message again, no matter how many times I open Internet Explorer.

My first concern when seeing this was that something on the system (malware/adware?) is trying to change the homepage for Internet Explorer, and something else is blocking it. But I have several anti-malware packages on the system, and none of them are reporting any issues. Additionally, I do not see any similar messages on Edge or Chrome, which were the browsers I was actually using day to day.

I googled the text of the message expecting to see lots of other people reporting it, but there seems to be hardly any mention of it on the internet.

Is anyone familiar with this warning, and can they explain what it means?

:)

Win20Win, Sep 3, 2019

2. Internet Explorer has stopped working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing Internet Explorer on your device as it crashes.

Do let us know:

• If you have made any changes to the operating system that might have resulted in causing this issue?
    • If you were able to see any error code/ error message when Internet Explorer crashes?

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane.
    • Click onInternet Explorer Performance and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform some of the troubleshooting steps from the link below link, Turn off add-ons, Reset Internet Explorer Settings, Open the page in Compatibility View etc. and check if it helps:

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings
    feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you
    use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Also re-enable the add-ons..

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 3, 2019
  3. How to change default homepage in internet Explorer?

Hello Ron,

As you are facing issues with accessing the Internet Explorer browser on your device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Let us few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to refer to the below article to change the homepage on your device and check if it helps.

Change your home page for Internet Explorer

Step 2: I suggest you to run the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key, type
      troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane.
    • Click on Internet Explorer Performance
      and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 3: I suggest you to perform some of the troubleshooting steps from the link below link, Turn off add-ons, Reset Internet Explorer Settings, Open the page in Compatibility View etc. and check if it helps:

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings
    feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you
    use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Also re-enable the add-ons..

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on Internet Explorer, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 3, 2019
  4. Geethu B Win User

Getting about:blank page in Internet Explorer 11

Hi Alvin,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with Internet Explorer 11.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Incorrect Internet Explorer settings.

2. Virus.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to try the steps under the section "Why are webpages blank or displaying incorrectly?" from the following article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/videos-dont-work#ie=ie-11

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental
    control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run a full scan using Windows Defender and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-protect-your-pc

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Odd Home Page Reset Message in Internet Explorer - Similar Threads - Odd Home Page

2. You-tube home page in new internet explorer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You-tube home page in new internet explorer: Beginning today Aug 18,2020, when I go to the home page for you-tube an audio ad begins to play. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it you-tube or something with internet explorer?...
  3. Odd and Even page problems

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Odd and Even page problems: I'm writing a book. Chapter 1 begins with page 1, which is an odd page footer. There are 8 preceding pages, and I would expect page 1 to begin with an odd page footer too, becuase it is the 1st page of the book and must be on the right. BUT, the first page beins with an even...
  4. Internet acting odd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet acting odd: Hello all. My PC (Windows 10 64) has been running slow lately, and today it has gotten considerably worse. I am connected to my home WiFi and get an okay speed. Apps like discord and Spotify are stuck on loading, and same for many websites. Spotify gives me a “app not allowed...
  5. No Internet explorer in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Internet explorer in Windows 10 Home: I'm using Windows 10 Home Edition (v1909) and I have to use Internet explorer for some work related stuff and I'm unable to find Internet Explorer anywhere. It doesn't even show up in "Turn Windows Features on or off". Please help submitted by /u/but_im_not_a_pro [link]...
  6. I got error message “ this page can’t displayed “ on both Firefox and internet explorer,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I got error message “ this page can’t displayed “ on both Firefox and internet explorer,...: I got error message “ this page can’t displayed “ on both Firefox and internet explorer, how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-error-message-this-page-cant-displayed-on/236ef291-ab77-45dc-9329-2a85ba67b84a
  7. I can't change the home page in Internet Explorer 11

in Browsers and Email
    I can't change the home page in Internet Explorer 11: Hi, it's been a while since I have been on here since I haven't had many issues. But, I have ran into an issue with Internet Explorer 11. It won't let me change my home page to Bing and MSN. It says it's already set to Bing and MSN. But whenever I open IE 11, it pulls up my...
  8. Internet Home Page can't be set

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Home Page can't be set: Setting the Home page, doesn't work when I type in the URL, and the "use current" button is grayed out so I can't use current page that Edge is on.. 43612
  9. No Internet Explorer after reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Internet Explorer after reset: Ouch. TenForums, thanks to Kyhi, has a recovery disk that you boot from to copy your data. Not sure of circumstances but so you you are aware should this happen again. You could try DISM, tutorial attached. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Two options, one...
  10. Odd internet behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd internet behavior: We recently had an upgrade to our DSL service from 3mbs to 25mbs which required the modem to be exchanged for a new one. Before the upgrade the internet was working as soon as the PC booted to the desktop. But now, once booted to desktop, it takes another 30 seconds before...